Low Profile Motorhome Reports Wanted

Guest David Lloyd

Guest David Lloyd
Hi everyone. Getting nearer to a shortlist for the replacement motorhome and would like to hear your comments or views (good or bad) on the following vehicles: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF Knaus Sun Ti 650MF Dethleffs Esprit RT6844 Burstner Delfin T680 I know - there are lots of other low profiles out there too but we have one limiting factor - it must be less than 2.7m in height! So, if you have one of these and are prepared to share your experience so far then please post a reply - all contributions gratefully received. Thanks, David

Guest A Rickers
Hi David, I have a Burstner Delphin 695 not the model you are thinking of but regarding driving and quality its first class. It is the quietest conversion I have ever owned and the best base vehicle, this being my 11th van. Unfortunately I have to change to an automatic but have ordered the same vehicle for next march and advertised it in next months MMM. I have the 3ltr model and it is just remarkable, it is really enjoyable to drive

Guest Derek Uzzell
David: I notice that "Motor Caravan" magazine currently has a Dethleffs Esprit RT6844 on long term test, with a full 'live-in' report scheduled for publication in the March 2006 issue. I've not read anything elsewhere about this vehicle - the nearest report I have relates to the larger RT6874 and the only negative comment that might apply to the RT6844 was that the foam used in the forward-facing front seats was a bit soft.

I hope your 2.7m hright limit is not too absolute. Expect the actual roof height to vary somewhat according to load, tyre pressures and accuracy of build versus design. Since all your choices are German, consider buying there for a very worthwhile saving - see thread below about buying in Germany/on the continent.

Guest David Lloyd
Thanks everyone for your comments so far. Please keep them coming in as I reckon the more views from as wide a range as possible the better. Mel - thanks for that. Yes I'm OK at 2.7m - I have a few centimetres to spare at that but most of the above vehicles give a height of around 2.65m. That usually includes fixed roof bars, rooflights etc but not the aerial. I am probably going to go for a tripod mounted sat dish to eliminate the need for an aerial. I'll also be measuring quite diligently before signing on the dotted line! Once again, thanks to everyone so far - david

The Autotrail range (Scout etc) are available with a Lowline roof. The highest bit is the top of the rear ladder where it curls up and over onto the roof. The top of the ladder on ours is nearer 2850. That,s 6 inches above your limit. But just in case.... Good luck with the quest.

Guest Brian Kirby
David Don't know what is the cause of your height restriction, but do remember that not only does actual vehicle height vary with load etc, as Mel says, but also, the height above ground at a given point will be liable to vary as the vehicle moves and bridges irregulatities. At the foot of a slope, for example, the mid-point height will be greater than when on the level, because one pair of wheels will still be upslope even when the other is on the level. Similarly, any slope down can cause problems when (particularly) the front starts to descend, and causes the rear overhang to kick up. The greater the overhang the more it kicks! Your few centimetres sounds fine if you're about level for a vehicle length both before, and beyond, your obstruction, otherwise watch out!! Tape measure and trig time! Regards Brian

Guest David Lloyd
Brian I know it can be tricky with both weights and measures! It's not so bad for us though, we have a carport (that is very handy so do wish to keep if we can) over a fairly wide and reasonably level driveway. The fall is around 2" over about 8 metres length so no great worries there. Our present vehicle is an Autocruise Startraveller on alko chassis and riding at 2.64m at the highest point (the status 530 aerial) which is to the rear - although the wind out awning is situated on the curved roof/side and is just below this for most of the length of the vehicle. This vehicle also has a very short overhang. Most of the vehicles we have shortlisted are going to be OK and we have already made our mind up that, given the difficulties in finding the right motorhome layout, we would take the carport down if we had to for the right van! David

Archived