Aframe what sticks out of the front

sparts

Hi sparts

Usually, there is a bar fixed to the chassis and concealed behind the front bumper with either two 'eyes' about two feet apart showing through the front or a short bar across the front. You will also have a small connection for the front brakes to connect to and a 7 (or the new 13) pin socket on the front of the car or inside the bonnet.

This site will give you a better idea:

http://www.caratow.com/gallery.php

David

When we considered buying a Smart car some years ago the manufacturers stated very clearly that they must not be towed on its own wheels but on a trailer. This was nothing to do with the continual argument against A-frames but to do with the strength of the vehicle. Have they now strengthened the car then?

On my A-frame car (a small Fiat) there is a bar across the front grille (is this the correct spelling?) to which the tow frame is attached by cottapins (is this right?) with a protrusion in the middle. To me this looks like a thin piece of wire with a circle at the end which I think is for the brake. There is another bar for strength behinc the grille and the power plug fits snugly within the engine compartment. Sorry about my description but I am not very conversant with car parts!

Actually Patricia it was nothing to do with the strength of the car but was to do with the gearbox which is apparently not designed to be run in neutral for long periods.

However, lots of people do tow Smarts on their own wheels and I've yet to read a report of anyone having problems.

Mel E

====

Archived