Payload Question

4petedaniel

Yes, you should Pete, from both the law and insurance points of view.

Take your fully loaded van to your local weighbridge and find out what it weighs, overall and both axles individually. Then check the weights against the vehicles weight plate on the top of the front cross member.

If you search the archives for previous posts on this subject, you will see that I have come across several cases of motorhomes being stopped in the UK.

It's not worth the risk! If someone close to you was involved in an RTA with an overweight truck, you'd be rightly very angry. What's the difference when a motorhome can be up to 4.5 tonnes these days (or even 7.5 tonnes if it's a US RV)?

Mel E

====

The anoying thing sometimes is that with some vehicles plated at 3.5 tonnes the vehicle manufacturer actually designes them for close to 4 tonne. But to make the vehicle legally driveable to a wider audience (like youngsters) they are plated well below their safe working weight.

But its the plated weights that you will be compared to if stopped so if you have a license that allows you to drive up to 7.5 tonnes (like quite a lot of us still) then it could be to your advantage to get the paperwork done to have the vehicle replated at the manufacturers figures.

But when you come to sell the vehicle do you want to offer it to the widest audience??

Dilema.

Mel E has caused me much agrivation over the years on this subject. We used to have a twin moped rack but following Mels article on this subject in MMM and my wife,s insistance that we visit a weighbridge we now tow a trailer.

C.

Archived