Dealer adverts on new/used vans

everhopeful

You know the things. Stickers in the windows, by the entry door, on the rear panel, on the bonnet, in the numberplates, tax disc holder etc.

Is it me, or is it a cheek for the Dealers to plaster these things all over our vans. If I wanted to place an advert for something in the dealers window I'd at best be charged but probably told to, er, go away!

I counted 6 on mine, and have managed to remove all but 3.

No doubt the total will be beaten, (anyone for a record?) but what do others do? Is it rip 'em off ASAP or is there a good reason to leave them, apart from trying to impress the neighbours? *-)

The easiest thing to do is say if you wish to advertise on my vehicle you must reduce the price for such advertising, if they don't do that you say - any form of advertising (not including the number plates) on my vehicle will be deemed criminal damage. It's amazing nothing will be stuck on. As for the plates it is a legal requirement that the company who made the plates have there name on it - you now have 2 options - get new plates from Halfords or ask another m/h outlet if they wish to advertise on your vehicle and supply you with plates, that way you have a choice of either who you want to advertise or more to the point who you do not.

It's not just dealers. Manufacturers are at it as well. I have HYMER cut out in the front panel beneath the bonnet.

It's ever since some bright spark discovered brand image.

Many years ago, it was trendy to steal VW badges off the front of cars to show your support to show rock group or similar. I'm just hoping someome does not take a liking to my Hymer bling on the front.

It's interesting to hear from a Marketing Consultant that firms that are full of their self importance trade on the their labels being displayed on goods such as clothing. Whereas the real quality goods do not need such labels because it is apparent from the design or cut who made them. Good quality products ususally get a discreet label or nothing at all.

Where I can, I avoid labels but sometimes I remember nobody does it better than Hymer.

Brock - 2008-11-10 7:00 PM

Many years ago, it was trendy to steal VW badges off the front of cars to show your support to show rock group or similar. I'm just hoping someome does not take a liking to my Hymer bling on the front.

It was the Beastie Boys, and the most popular badge was from back of T25s, I've got a pink and yellow poppy sticker covering the space where mine was.

Oh dear! Not funny when someone nicks a badge and it's obvious.

Somehow I don't mind the vehicle manufacturer or the converter putting their names on my van because it's usually done discreetly and can be of interest to others to know what is what.

Where you bought the thing from is of no use or interest to anybody and it's this that is blatent advertising. If left for too long some stickers wont come off, and if they will they'll leave a noticable patch. I'll bet the dealer who stuck that advert over the heated window elements knew full well what could happen.

I like the idea of charging the dealer for advertising space with criminal damage suggested! 8-)

It is correct the company has to be registered to make the plates up hence displaying their name.

This is due to an attempt to crack down on 'freudulant' and 'illegal font style' on plates (not recognised by scanners etc).

You have to present the log book of the vehicle to get any plates made up nowadays. They also have to be the standard coloured plates, only pre 19??....(someone will know!)... can have the old fashioned ones.

I've seen quite a few plates, probably on second-hand vans, where the dealer has stuck a yellow / white label on the plates covering the original advert with his!

From what has been said it's doubtful if this is legal - but why on earth would a dealer bother to go to such lengths just to increase his adverts a bit? Not even any point peeling them off because of the other advert underneath. *-)

Rapido-lass - 2008-11-12 9:53 AM

It is correct the company has to be registered to make the plates up hence displaying their name.

You have to present the log book of the vehicle to get any plates made up nowadays.

I believe this is only in England and Wales (I don't know about N.I), production of the V5 isn't needed in Scotland.

My plates are marked "Jepson" and their (Glasgow) Postcode.

(Jepson actually manufacture the blank plates and may well supply your local dealer with the 'raw materials' to make up a plate with your specific number)

http://www.jepsonandco.com/contact.htm

Only vehicles constructed before 1st January 1973 can have 'old style', black plates with white/silver digits.

Removing a transfer off a vehicle you have to be careful that once removed you aren't left with the outline of the advert due to colour fade. You would have to be prepared to recover that area with a decal of your choice, hence make sure when buying a new van that you state there is to be no dealer advertising and equally if you are buying second hand make sure they don't add anything after you have agreed to buy, or if it looks as if they have added it since aquiring the vehicle into stock, get them to remove it and make good as part of the deal unless you don't object.

I think one of the worse examples of dealer advertising has to be the awful horizontal squares that Marquis have on their supplied Autocruise models. They advertise Marquis '35 years anniversary' and 'Lifestyle' as I remember. I removed these on the first sunny day (to warm the decals up) after we took delivery and the van is far better for it.

I have Timberland details on the rear door. As I live very close to the works and often get jobs done there I decided to leave the advert where it was as a sign of good will. It has certainly paid off in the the last 5+ years.

I think the van that will take some beating is IH. Ian Hartley likes to see his initials everywhere inside and outside of the van. I've never checked but I would not be surprised to see one in the loo.

I think "Mad Mick" can confirm that.

Don

If you are going to tell the dealer not to fit any adverts - and this seems to be the best option - make sure you tell them before PDI time. I saw my van pre-pdi and it was clean as a whistle. I'm sure the PDI consisted entirely of sticking the things on as the dealer admitted that nothing much needs doing in a PDI these days! 8-)

Archived