Dethleffs Globebus

Poppy

Guest JudgeMental

the globebus is one of the new baby A class type campers. German Promobil website has a comparison with the hymer exsis a van I was interested in....

Their globe line on a merc chassis looks like an interesting van...

my only reservations would be...I prefer a GRP skin and Dethleffs vans can be a bit heavy, so hard to get a reasonable payload at 3500kg. But not sure with this one though....

One of the Hymer models has single beds, a garage and is still only 6.7 m long( most twin bedded vans are over 7m) importantly to me as I am on a restricted license it still has a 600kg payload.

downside not much of a kitchen, small fridge. and being an A class style van headlamps and windscreen can be extremely expensive to replace

The mini A classes I think. We want a motorhome no longer than 6 metres with a decent lounge,drop down double, MTPL of 3500 with a decent payload for 2 adults and one small dog.PREFERABLY on a ford base.Like everyone else, want toavoid a Fiat if at all poss.

I lusted after one of these for a while, not least due to having read rave reviews. I just loved the looks. However, I couldn't justify forty grand for something which is relatively small. I opted for the Adria Twin panel van conversion, which isn't that much smaller - same length, but not so much width. When I went to pick up the Twin, Pullingers had the Globebus I3 in stock and seeing it the flesh, I'd say it did have serious presence. Compared to a PVC, it's the extra width which makes the difference, certainly to the internal layouts.

If I had the extra ten grand, I'd like to give the Globebus a shot. The fact that it's based on the Ducato wouldn't bother me; I've had the Adria Twin nine months and it's a fine motor. I have naive optimism in Fiat sorting out their reverse wobble; the rest of the Ducato experience is a joy.

Shaun

How about a La Strada Regent(merc), or Trento(ford). Saw a Regent at Peterborough and was very tempted.

p.s. crossed over post with shaun. I've got the extra 10k(and then some) but still hanker for the twin layout, also my personal preferance is for a PVC.

Build quality is nowhere near as good as the Frankias you were interested in, though it's still alright if you aren't anal. I also consider them a bit dark and pokey inside.

On the upside they're a manageable size externally and will thread down most roads without too much grief; probably just as well given the reversing thing.

I still wouldn't want to be cooped up in one when I got to the isolated bay at the end of the narrow road though.

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2008-11-10 8:07 PM

Hymer excis has a crap lounge! Sorry. They missed an opportunity there.Matters more than Fiat base.

with all the problems with the Fiat I would not get one till 2010 to be sure

I thought the lounge was OK? you can specify a side seat instead of the extra wardrobe which is a bit restricting. looks the same choice's internally more or less as the Globebus......

Well if the excis did not have a fixed table it would help a lot.We have the 522 van.Because of the narrowness of the van only the seat NEXT to drivers istruly useable for relaxing.Tablebehind seat is not and while we have a wardrobe the replacement seatlooked very sit up and beg to me. At least we have back seat to relax on.THINK we will end up with the Hymer 508 eventually.It does have the dreaded Fiat base and is a bit wider than perhaps we would have liked.Its all compromise isn't it? Would have liked a look at new exis but am told there is not one available and possibly there will not be one at next Birmingham show!

Poppy:

Each October "Camping Car" magazine publishes lists by body-type of motorhomes available in the coming year. For 2009 A-Class designs up 6.0m long were listed as shown below. (Except where otherwise stated, all are Fiat-based.)

Burstner Viseo I-595 (5.98m)

Challenger Elitis 3010 (5.95m)

Chausson Alteo 159 (5.95m)

City Van (3 models at 5.68m, 3 models at 6.00m)

Dethleffs Globebus (3 models at 5.99m)

Hymer Exsis I-482 (FORD - 5.70m)

Hymer B-504CL & B-508CL (5.99m)

Hymer B-504SL & B-508SL (5.99m)

Knaus V-Liner 550MG (5.97m)

Rapido 903F (5.99m)

Raising your 6 metre length threshold to 6.50m adds in:

Adria Vision I-647SG (RENAULT - 6.49m)

Carthago C-Line I-3.7 (6.20m)

Dethleffs Globebus (2 models - 6.15m or 6.30m)

Dethleffs Advantage I-5841 (6.40m)

Eriba Jet 503 or 507 (6.05m)

Frankia Compact Class 640 (5 models at 6.48m)

Hymer Exsis I-512 or I-522 (FORD - 6.15m)

Itineo SD610 or TD610 (6.15m)

Knaus Sun-Liner 600LG (6.28m)

Laika Rexoline 600 (6.12m)

Le Voyageur 575 or 575DR (MERCEDES - 6.19m)

LMC I-590 (6.44m)

Mooveo I-647 (6.49m)

Notin Chicago and Rio (MERCEDES - 6.32m and 6.48m respectively)

Pilote G630LR or G630 L Premium (6.33m)

Rapido 9010DF or 9048DF (6.49m)

TEC I-590VI (6.44m)

Some of the above marques have no official presence in the UK (eg. Challenger), while certain models may only be available in LHD. Knaus, of course, is currently bankrupt.

It's apparent that the only non-Fiat-based sub-6.0m vehicle is Hymer's recently introduced, very compact Transit-chassis Exsis I-482. Even when your length criterion is increased to 6.50m, all that becomes available non-Fiat-based are one Adria Renault, two Hymer Fords, and four wallet-bustingly expensive Le Voyageur and Notin Mercedes.

If you dislike the Exsis interior and are prepared to risk the Fiat chassis, then I suggest you consider Rapido's new 903F with its more 'welcoming' furnishing style. Pull-down overcab bed, crossways (height adjustable) rear double bed over large garage, L-shaped lounge seating, sensible bathroom, (inevitably) small kitchen, Rapido's good reputation for build-quality.

Judgemental:

Not sure whether your "I prefer a GRP skin" comment implies that you are under the impression the Hymer Exsis range has this feature. All Hymers have predominantly aluminium-skinned bodywork.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Derek, I am aware of aluminum skin on Hymer's. That and small fridge, no double floor (winterisation) coupled with the cost of head light and windscreen replacement has put me of a bit lol.

Italy this year I again had an argument with a tree, and van undamaged. I am convinced if it had been aluminum I would have ripped the side.....

I will wait till 2010 and look at the low roof EuraMobil Terrestra again, as its still my preferred van but on a Fiat. Hopefully Fiat should be sorted by then.

And of Derek's 6.0 metre long candidates, only the City Van, Globebus, Excis and V Liner are less than 2.3 metres wide, so are the only "go anywhere" type vans.  Of those over 6 metres long, you're down to just the Globebus and the Excis.

In view of Poppy's comments re the Excis lounge, I do wonder if she has evaluated all the variants available?  Notwithstanding, if buying a van next year, I would prioritise mechanical reliability over lounge ambiance/comfort. 

It is surely more agreeable to arrive, than to admire the road from however comfortable a lounge while awaiting the breakdown truck, because your gearbox bust! :-)

Brian, while I take your point!! We would like a decent lounge because we would like some winter usefrom our van and being in the current one on a long dark cold winter night is nota lot of fun!Its warm enough to be fair. I think our current half dinette is designed for use in the summer when hopefully you won't be sitting in it a lot.As more and more of us will want smaller vans for whatever reasons it is a shame that the motorhome manufacturers can't a) give us more choice of layout and b)more choice of base engine given especially the very real concerns about the Fiat.And again I think the major manufacturers think that if you want a small van you mean a CHEAP van. Not necessarily. The Hymer exis (new one) with a bit of THOUGHT could have been excellent BUT we can't even see one to see what the lounge is like in the flesh so to speak.

Guest JudgeMental

I woud buy one from Belgium, have already been quoted a £10.000 saving for a higher spec van then from Brown*ills.

just ring around dealers and go and have a look.. ....problem with shows is the B class vans are the big money spinners so they tend to show only these models

Well, Elizabeth, in the end you can only buy what is on offer, so compromise is the order of the day.

If you want non-Fiat, 6 metres long approx, and under 2.3 metres wide, then it seems the Exsis is about what you can get!  Either the Exsis-I 482 or 512.

If you don't mind 2.3 metres wide, you can add the Hymer B508 (or its Eriba Jet or TEC I-Tec clones), or Frankia I 6000 DL or SD to the list.

If you want to view any of these in the short term (2009 models) I think you'll have to go to a show, because few showrooms will have samples in stock yet.  However, you'll need to check beforehand who will have which vans to see.  There is no guarantee anyone will present the one you're after, the UK market just doesn't generate enough clout.

If you are happy to view 2008 models, with the possibility of catching a few of the 2009s, then I'd go to Germany, to one of the big Hymer dealerships like Durrwang + Morlein in Dortmund.  They are more likely to get the 2009 models before they appear in UK.

However, I think the main problem is that you are looking for a layout type that suits UK use, from non-UK manufacturers.  The continental vans are generally designed for outside living, in warmer, sunnier, less crowded, countries than ours.  When they want "live-in" vans, they just go for much larger sizes.

Thanks for the advice Judgemental/Brian. Trouble is I have lost a bit of faith in the British vans!Our last caravan was a Swift Bessacarr twin axle and we paid over 20.000 for it about 4 years ago.This is for a CARAVAN. Build quality was not exceptional. A Lunar purchased previously and in the middle range i.e about £13.000 about 7 years ago, quite frankly was rubbish. Our Hymer is beautifully built.

Guest JudgeMental
Belgian Hymer dealer approx 1 hour from Calais.and he has all the models....combine a visit with a holiday/trip. The Hymer excsis is on the new 140bhp 6 speed Ford Chassis. :-D

"It is surely more agreeable to arrive, than to admire the road from however comfortable a lounge while awaiting the breakdown truck, because your gearbox bust!"

Can't say I agree with that view entirely. I have a previous model Ducato and also experienced a bust gearbox (5th gear). That one event occupied a few hours of my time and some moderate annoyance. In contrast my generous lounge - of proportions not seen in the current rush for fixed beds and garages - has provided me with many, many, hours of comfort and relaxation and even a mobile office at times.

We have a rule when choosing a new 'van ... prioritise based on the time actively spent on an activity. As a result I would never give up 'living' for 'driving' nor for that matter good lounging in exchange for being able to get into bed in about a minute less than otherwise! 

As I've said before though each to his own.

http://www.lastrada-mobile.de/cms/index.php?id=98

I think that should allow you in the "english" version, if not go to their home page and hit the union jack, I think the best "views" are with 360deg option, the regent we sat in seemed to have a resonable size lounge, good size galley and washroom, when bed was lowered lounge was still usable for sitting not standing(for us short asses), couldn't find ladder to bed, asked salesman he had no idea, later found you climb up furneture, seemed well made to me.

Archived