New Zealand - What should we not miss?

Charles Chodkowski

Go to Oamaru on South Island, look for the mutton birds on the dunes after dark, its quite an experience !!!

You won't see any birds cos they fly in after dark and are down in their burrows quick as a flash, the real exitement is being bitten by either midges or sand flies while you wait in the cold!!!

Joking aside take the ferry from Wellington to Picton or reverse, either way its a magical ride.

Take a train ride from Christchurch over the mountains to Greymouth.

One other thing to remember the NZ drivers do not let you out from side roads!!! The NZ driver considers the road he's on is HIS ROAD and 'you aint comin on it mate'.

Do not speed cos they'll book you real quick. And if you like aircraft look around at the Dakota aircraft perched on pedestalls. Too much of interest to put on here.

PS don't forget the two Islands represent the edges of one of the earth's plates and could shift at any moment. Its a wonderful experience to see it all.

Remember they know you are a Brit so watch the charges in shops and restaurants and make sure the till is zero'd before they add your bill and make VERY sure you know the deal before you pay.

Yes I've seen it done!! Bill

libby - 2008-11-11 12:12 AM

Remember they know you are a Brit so watch the charges in shops and restaurants and make sure the till is zero'd before they add your bill and make VERY sure you know the deal before you pay.

Yes I've seen it done!! Bill

what a negative view - how many times did it happen - you make it sound as though they're all out to swindle a brit -

we found them to be great - helpful friendly without being pushy - brilliant people on the whole, but then - I always remember Mrs Doasyouwould be done by, not her twin, and find that people are pretty much good anywhere

B-)

It all depends on how long you're going for. We spent 7 weeks touring (3 in the North Island and 4 in the South), and we still left out Aukland and Wellington. Things you shouldn't miss include:

In the North Island, the Bay of Islands (unmissable), the Coromandel Peninsula, Rotorua, Lake Taupo, Tongariro Park (south of Taupo and home to the three large volcanoes including Mt Ruapehu). If you have time to go further afield, visit Mt Taranaki (Egmont) a smaller duplicate of Mt Fuji, and Napier, the Art Deco capital of the world, re-built in this style after a devastating earthquake destroyed the previous town, and the centre of Hawkes Bay wine region. And, of course, Wellington.

In the South Island, visit Marlborough Sounds - we hired a boat from Havelock, much the best way of seeing the area except from the air, Banks Peninsula near Christchurch, Lakes Tekapo and Pukaki and the Mt Cook Nat Park, moeraki, Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula where you'll see nesting albatrosses demonstrating their sopreme flying skills. Invercargill is actually very interesting as a replica of a 1930s British town. On the west coast, unmissable is Milford Sound - try and drive there after a rain storm when the valley walls are covered in waterfalls, and the glaciers.

I cousel against the Christchurch - Arthur's Pass rail trip as all you see in the mountains is the side of steep cuttings or the inside of tunnels. Much better to drive.

Mel E

====

Ref Mel E's last post : We drove up Arthurs Pass from the west ( Greymouth ) and it is very steep near the top. Was a bit disappointed with it as I thought it was just looking at steep walls on either side. Had planned to spend a night at the top but as the local forecast was for up to 6 or 7 inches of rain that night, we changed our minds. ( Whimps or what ?)

One thing you need to think about is your luggage, and what you take it in. We saw one or two couples who took solid suitcases,which, once the contents had been emptied into cupboards were just a pain as there was nowhere to put them.

We took holdalls and rucksacks and had no problem.

(If a van is picked up and left at the same depot they will sometimes store your cases, but not if you are going from one island to the other).

Malc D,

We drove over Arthur's Pass from Christchurch and found it great. But, whatever you think, you have to use it to get to the other side for the glaciers, etc. All I was counselling was to drive rather than take the very expensive train with quite limited views.

As for baggage, our total trip was 10 weeks and we took just one not too large hold-all between two of us. Most camp sites, motels and hotels have laundry facilities and we bought bulky things like towels when we got there and threw them away at the end.

We now travel exclusively with carry-on bags and no checked baggage. You get out of the airport fast and don't suffer from airlines' ability to lose your bags and end up with nothing.

Mel E

====

Mel E:

I'm with you all the way about going by road and not using the train, I was just a bit disappointed with the scenery on the west side of Arthurs Pass, it just wasn't as good as I expected.

We didn't need to go over the pass, we just diverted from Greymouth on

the way up the west coast.

:-|

Watch out at cross roads they treat them as mini round-a-bouts, Some of the bridges in South Island are used by a train as well as vehicles so if the traffis lights are on red & nothing is on the road, stop it may be a train, so wait and see. At Franz Joseph take a helicopter flight over Mount Cook. Camp some where else as the Franz Joseph whistling frogs will keep you awake all night. Learn all about Rugby. Go to Hokitika and get some Jade.

Don't flash your head lights to let some one through it means the same as "two fingers" does here. When you stop for diesel in the South Island be prepared for a long "chin-wag", usually about rugby or politics. Bungy jump in Arrow Town. You will enjoy every munute of it. Ask about Mauri night out big feast...........

Yes Colin, I will mention sandflies, East coast beaches South Island, run like hell and shut yourself in the van, and shut all the windows. Don't forget the KIA, Mountain bird that eats everything rubber on the van, and strips off the plastic roof. They are crafty enough to leave the tyre valves.

Ranger - 2008-11-11 8:25 PM

Yes Colin, I will mention sandflies, East coast beaches South Island, run like hell and shut yourself in the van, and shut all the windows. Don't forget the KIA, Mountain bird that eats everything rubber on the van, and strips off the plastic roof. They are crafty enough to leave the tyre valves.

We spent some time covering ourselves in anti - fly ointments, although they didn't bother me much they did attack my wife in numbers.

:-(

Visit the "AGRIDOME" a live show all about NZ Agriculture, sheep shearing, Different breeds of sheep and their wool, hand milking a cow, DIY, and get a certificate. Sheep dog exhibition, well worth a visit even if you are not a country boy or girl............

MOTOR INSURANCE

I should have added (for anyone planning to visit NZ) that motor insurance - even Third Party - is not compulsory in NZ. It is perfectly legal to drive uninsured. It is therefore vital, if you hire a vehicle, that you have adequate insurance, especially covering you for accidents and medical care.

I should have endorsed Don's flying suggestion. We hired a 'plane for 2 days in each of the islands, but as a qualified pilot, I was able to get club rates and plan and fly my own routes. We did so towards the end of our stay in each island and mostly flew over the areas we had visited on th ground. Magic from the air.

Mel E

====

Picked this up at Franzjoseph qwhich has the highest rain fall in the world.

It rained and rained and rained,

The average fall was well maintained,

And when the tracks were simple bogs,

It started raining cats and dogs,

After a drought of half an hour,

We had a most refreshing shower,

And then the most curious thing of all,

A gentle rain began to fall,

Next day but one was fairly dry,

Except one deluge from the sky,

Which wetted the party to the skin,

And then at last the rain set in..............Anonymous, Franz Joseph. N.Z.

Archived