Leaks

THE SHEPHERD

Do all motor homes leak, or is it just me. Over the years I have had 9/10 from our air cooled days up to date, and this week the latest one started to leak letting water fall on to the steering wheel and dash board.

The last one bought new from the same well known manufacturer also leaked.

So just how common is this problem, and what is a reasonable time from purchase to expecting the first drops of internal rain. TS

Guest Tracker

I have only had vans from Autosleepers, Autocruise and Autotrail over the last 20 years or so and I have NEVER had one that leaked.

Gone, it seems, are the bad old days of the seventies and early eighties when most vans leaked - many of them from new.

However there are, it seems, still manufacturers about that are unable to properly waterproof a motorhome - but as I have no personal experience of them I am unable to name and shame!

THE SHEPHERD - 2008-11-11 1:08 PM

Do all motor homes leak, or is it just me. Over the years I have had 9/10 from our air cooled days up to date, and this week the latest one started to leak letting water fall on to the steering wheel and dash board.

So just how common is this problem, and what is a reasonable time from purchase to expecting the first drops of internal rain. TS

Not all motorhomes leak, but I would assume that most of those that do are coachbuilt type, unless thay have a monocoque shell.

I would think that vans most likely to leak are those made up of panels with sealed joints which get a bit of a hammering through road vibrations.

Obviously depends as well on the quality of the build.

:-|

Guest Tracker
THE SHEPHERD - 2008-11-11 2:13 PM

I think it would be an idea if I call you the next time I change my motor home, you seem to have the gift. Regards TS

When you find a van that you like, ask about it on here and all the replies - good and bad - might help you to spot an issue - good or bad - that you had not noticed?

Costs nowt so it's gotta be worth a try - by the way - what van do you currently have and what vans have you had that leak - and why are you so darned unlucky!

Guest Tracker
BGD - 2008-11-11 4:53 PM

Our old-dog Eura-mobil MH is 17 years old, and not a drop of leakiness to date during our 18 months of ownership........so maybe it's actually that Motorhomes only leak for the first 12 years or so.

It's probably waterlogged to such an extent that the wood has swollen and blocked off the access points for rain ingress!

malc d - 2008-11-11 2:12 PM

THE SHEPHERD - 2008-11-11 1:08 PM

Not all motorhomes leak, but I would assume that most of those that do are coachbuilt type, unless thay have a monocoque shell.

I would think that vans most likely to leak are those made up of panels with sealed joints which get a bit of a hammering through road vibrations.

Obviously depends as well on the quality of the build.

:-|

Not so. I grant that monocoque construction should not leak through the shell, but WILL leak wherever the shell is penetrated, such as around skylights, TV aerial glands, windows etc. My last motorhome, an Autosleeper purchased new, leaked more than other van I owned previously. Most leaks were around the window seals and cost between£100 - £150 every time they had to be removed and resealed when the warranty ran out.

That advert on the telly provides the exact solution!!

You know the one.....if you leak a little as you get older.......

Tenna Lady Pads!

Stick a few of them on the MH ceiling, and then apparently you can laugh until you fall off the bed, and still no leak!!

That'll be £20 please. B-)

Prehaps sellers, both main dealers and private (buyer beware) see me coming, but I tend to take people on trust.

The problem has now been resolved by a local classic car body shop, the rubber removed above the cab to expose the joint between the van body and the plastic raised roof, The joint was cleaned and the old mastic, such as it was replaced with a superior sealent. Total job £50, so there are some genuine people out there. TS

THE SHEPHERD - 2008-11-14 9:52 AM

Prehaps sellers, both main dealers and private (buyer beware) see me coming, but I tend to take people on trust.

The problem has now been resolved by a local classic car body shop, the rubber removed above the cab to expose the joint between the van body and the plastic raised roof, The joint was cleaned and the old mastic, such as it was replaced with a superior sealent. Total job £50, so there are some genuine people out there. TS

I had the same problem as you. We were on a site in south Wales sitting having a drink and watching a Brideshead Revisited DVD in a howling gale and a stream of water started coming through the ceiling. I lowered the van off the levelling blocks and it stopped. I took it to the dealer I had bought it from which turned out to be a complete waste of time because it started to leak again when we were in France.

I decided to have a look myself and I saw straight away where it was coming in. Whoever applied the sealant where the roof joined the overcab cowel, had left a gap on the side where the sealant finished. I bought some Sikaflex 512 and filled in the gap but also went along the whole length to make sure. Touch wood, it hasn't leaked since.

John.

• 4 weeks later...
and so IT GOES ON, My Auto sleeper Sussex, built for Marquise has now been back to the body shop twice, and still water is finding its way in over the right side dripping down from above the steering wheel. The widscreen people tell me its not the problem. The mystery is that once there has been a rush of water ie Many drips, there is no more trouble even if driving in heavey rain, so it must be pooling some where. I have been told that the possiblity is the scew fitting at the front beneath the fancy guttering holding the top to the vehicle may have failed but I cant get a diagram to show the fitter, any help out there please. TS

Tracker - 2008-11-11 5:29 PM

BGD - 2008-11-11 4:53 PM

Our old-dog Eura-mobil MH is 17 years old, and not a drop of leakiness to date during our 18 months of ownership........so maybe it's actually that Motorhomes only leak for the first 12 years or so.

It's probably waterlogged to such an extent that the wood has swollen and blocked off the access points for rain ingress!

now you know the saying ....The rain in Spain falls ......... well Bruce if i remember rightly lives in a village up a hill

Archived