cold fiat cab

briff

Guest Tracker

A carpet off cut, with a decent thickness of pile, about 5" x 2" affixed with double sided tape behind where the seat belt disappears into it's reel will reduce the gap and cut out most of the draught without preventing the belt to operate whilst still remaining in situ.

Ask me another!

Cut a piece of fabric, or carpet approx 4" square, cut a slot in the middle the width of the belt, slide it over the belt and stitch the end of the slot to keep the piece on the belt. This will then slide over the belt, to cover the hole where the draught enters. I have done this on 2 peugeot cabs, 2000 and 2004 reg.

Ken

Don't forget to check if you also have a draught coming up from the bottom of the door windows as well, just put your hand over it when you're travelling and you'll see what I mean. If it's really bad you could try fixing a strip of thin rubber material onto the inner door liner/panel at the bottom of the window so that it just overlaps the bottom of the glass and still allows the window to go up and down without snagging (use double sided tape so it can be removed without damaging it later if necessary). :-D

And then there's the dreated door vents!!! 8-)

Seat belt drafts...

In the section just below the seatbelt there shoud be shaped foam block to seal the draft. It is most likely not position well, and just badly stuffed in which is common - lazy Geovanni probably wanted his tea break. So reposition it. If missing, also common, cut a new piece (or old) piece of foam and place in position below belt reel. The covers at bottom of pillar are easily removed after removing screws.

Jon.

rowley - 2008-11-13 7:15 PM

If this is on the previous Sevel chassis then you will find that the door pillar is open to the outside world at it's base. I stuffed some insulation material into it and that helped.

Hi Rowly, the door pillar opens into the chassis/floor box sections so access from below is not possible. The open bit you are mentioning is probably the trim the coach builder has fitted between doors and habitation side wall.

Jon.

• 2 months later...

I've had the same problem and would never have thought of looking at the seatbelt entry points. I've stopped them up temporarily with a duster in each and it's made quite a difference in my Trigano Tribute 650.

There is still a draught from the front when parked, though, and it seems to be coming from under the central nacelle. Is there any way of dealing with this?

I've turned the heater to recirculating and set the flow to the fascia vents, which are all turned off. Also, I've got internal and external screens over the front windows, which has cut down heat loss through the glass.

Thanks in anticipation.

Roger

A little later I jammed a rolled-up sleeping bag under the nacelle. That's made a difference but I'd be glad of a more elegant solution.

Roger

(Sorry for the second posting but the forum software wouldn't let me edit my original that long afterwards. Strict or what? )

Roger:

Heater controls are often 'powered' nowadays. In such instances, when altering the control from its fresh-air setting to its recirculation setting, it will take several seconds for the various flaps to be moved around electrically closing off the fresh-air passageways. If that's the case with your motorhome, and you haven't got the ignition on when you change the heater setting to air-recirculation, fresh air will still be able to enter the vehicle.

Clutching at straws really. If the various heater-flaps are operating correctly (not always so based on previous forum comments) and there are still cold draughts getting in via the nacelle even after you've selected recirculation mode, then your sleeping-bag ploy seems the only option.

Clutching at straws Derek - you certainly are, this is a FiaT !!!!!! ;-)

I think it is probably just doen o pure seasling around the control flaps, but equally may also be the control link for flaps not set correctly when assembled. I took all my fascia vents off and teased the foam sealing strips on flaps into a better position - great now, no drafts from dash vents when closed. No reason to suspect vents in heater unit will be any different in build quality. I also adjusted the cable links for heat control flaps -- improved the hot air flow to feet a lot, still not good, but better.

Clutching at straws myself now, it is possile there is a pipe from extrenal intake to heater unit not fitted properly to flange.

I shall do a check and see if it is directly in to heater unit or has a pipe and report back.

Difficult to tell, but looks like the Ducts from Motor fan to outside world contains the recirculation flap and should seal of completly if it closes properly. Can't really see how poor sealing of this duct to intake vent could not be fitted correctly and leak a lot of air.

This seems to be a very common problem on all the new X250 cabs. The most popular sloution currently is to fit a curtain between the cab area and habitation area. The heater or air con when on the move will me much more efficient to heat/cool a much smaller area. The major draught we have when on the move is from the habitation are coming forward into the cab area. We did previously apply tape to the vent in the door arch, fit seat belt pads around the seat belt entry points into the trim. Fit loft insulation into all the open voids around the seat belts, under the cab seats, under the floor where the cab meets habitation area.

It's also worth checking if the inspection hatches for the battery and gearbox access are closed correctly. Also check where the cab and habitation floors meet for a crack in the floor of the plastic covering. But that's another story!.

Believe me the curtains do work but still move around "in the wind" with everything shut. (doors windows, dash vents, recirculate etc. etc.)

I can't find where it comes from, but I know where it goes (lol)

Thanks, all. Useful, if dispiriting, reading. It seems the Tributes are inexpensive for a reason. 8-)

I was thinking about putting up a curtain for use at night. Seems a good 'catch all' solution.

I'd not use it on the move, though, as I drive with the blind down on the sliding door for better vision on awkward right-hand turns.

Roger

I've had an obstructive morning, turning the ignition on and moving the heater control to external and back (which seemed to help) and blocking the footwells for the front doors and the sliding door.

Unfortunately, for every draught I stop, another makes its presence felt. I've got the Webasto on and a fan heater (running at 1kW), so I'm warm enough but it's now a contest between me and the sloppy sods who built this thing. 8-)

Is there any value, when parked, in putting something over the grill at the top of the bonnet or will air still come in through the main grill?

Roger

The old Fiat cabs were know for letting draughts in through the grill at the tope of the bonnet and you can buy 'bibs' to fit on them, indeed you can also buy some exterior insulated screens that are made longer for this purpose. Whether this problem is the same for the new Fiat I don't know as I haven't examined one in details.

Also, you do get draughts up from the bottom of the cab door windows too ... just though I'd give you another little 'problem' to resolve! :D

Thanks, Mel.

Having just taken delivery of a long-ordered external screen, I don't think I'll buy another one just yet. (There's a van on the site I'm on with a cover that goes down to the bumper!) A bib may be the answer.

> draughts up from the bottom of the cab door windows.

I'll check. Keep 'em coming! 8-)

Roger

Progress report

I've taped over the vents in the doors, and several other places in the cab. Outside, I've put a gathered-up bin liner over the upper air intake at the front, tucking in the ends to keep it in place. Scruffy but functional. 8-)

In lieu of curtains, I've draped a large plastic groundsheet over the front seats, weighting it down the bottom with bags, boots, etc. at the threshold to the living area. A coat draped over each seat back helps keep the groundsheet in place and blocks off the sides. It's made a big difference.

I'm gradually filling in all the holes but am a lot warmer already.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Roger

rolandrat - 2009-02-07 7:11 PM

is there any good points about these new Fiats, all we seem to read about is doom and gloom, I'm thanking my lucky stars that I run a 313 Mercedes, absolutely trouble free.

yes, the cab heating is fantastic,it,s one of the things mr fiat has got right, heats the whole of our coachbuilt,most of the complaints refer to the previous model, draughts from behind are from the conversion not the cab.

Archived