VW Camper pop up roof

Guest Vicky

We have recently purchased a VW T5 with pop up roof. Has anyone used the pop up roof in the winter months? I am concerned over the thin nature of the fabric and possibly frozen children. Is there a firm that would construct an inner tent for the pop up roof? Any ideas?? or should we forget spring and autumn trips??

Guest Will Redfearn,Wirral Motorhome Club
I used to have a VW with a Spacemaker roof. I bought a liner made of faux fur, it was a private sale, I don't know of any firm which sells these. If you could make a pattern a tent repairer may be able to make one for you, you may have to supply the material. Alternatively still make the pattern and have go yourself. There are many discount fabric shops around. A lot of them sell a fleece type fabric. A bit of ingenuity and logic you could have very cosy van. Although for winter camping we used to have the roof down. All you need to do is trap as many layers of air as insulation. The gap between the roof fabric and the liner as well as the air trapped in the liner fabric. If your roof is a pop up it should be straight sides. So all you need is a long rectangle of material sewn together to form a band. A few strategically placed tie tapes sewn on to the liner to attach to the frame of the roof or you could use Velcro strip. Another idea could be a Silver Screen type device which could wrap around the outside of the roof. Contact J&M designs they may be willing to give it a go.

Archived