honda sh 50

hymer1942

I tried the Honda SH50 Barrie but decided it was not man enough for two up, other than on the flat, and went for a Honda SH125 instead, which was a cracker.

The other problem with a 50cc bike is that it is restricted to 30mph and therefore unable to keep up with the traffic on some roads. Thats when following drivers tend to take liberties with your wellbeing in their haste to overtake.

Absolutely agree. You will not believe just how dangerous a restricted 50cc bike is until you try one. To get a flavour drive your car at 30 mph along your local dual carriageway and try turning right at the first roundabout. It is ironic that that the least experienced riders are put on probably the most dangerous machines.

ron. - 2008-11-16 6:15 PM

I tried the Honda SH50 Barrie but decided it was not man enough for two up, other than on the flat, and went for a Honda SH125 instead, which was a cracker.

I've got the Honda ANF 125 (only weighs 99Kg) for similar reasons.

Problem may be that Barrie doesn't hold a motorcycle licence ?

As quite an experienced motorcyclist i know the inherent risks of riding on the roads and i accept them. What i certainly wouldn't do would be to increase the risks manyfold by riding a 50cc moped especially two up. If you haven't got a 'bike licence it may be worth looking at passing your test. Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but it's something i feel strongly about.

hymer1942 - 2008-11-16 4:22 PM

has anyone got or had a Honda sh 50. I am keen to know if they are good enough for 2 people just as a back of the motor home runabout.

Regards barrie.

I to have a 125 Honda but was talking to a bloke at Tintagel CC site early this year and he had a 50cc scooter. Now both him and his wife were on the large size but they got on fine with it. Cannot really agree with other answers here as even with a 125 most cars will still overtake you as they will if you ride a pushbike. I have found cars will give you a wide berth and you will be fine, just use a little common sense and avoid the M25. I have now covered a lot of miles on my little bike and would not be without it.

The point is that on urban roads the average speed, right or wrong, is nearer 40mph than 30mph. A 125cc can keep up with the flow and keep out of danger, whereas a 50cc cannot.

Of course cars also overtake cyclists and they are in the same boat as far as being overtaken goes. Two sets of roadusers in the same boat does'nt make it right.

Archived