Puncture Sealants

Uncle Bulgaria

For the general information of Forum members.

I had to have a tyre replaced recently. It was a Michelin XC Camping, and a small bulge had appeared in the side wall. There was no puncture. There was no evidence of kerbing and the tyre fitter (Kwik Fit Mobile) thought it was odd. The tyre has now gone back to Michelin for inspection. Anyway, moving on.

I had had the tyres on the motorhome treated with one of the pre-puncture sealants that feature occasionally on the Forum. When the tyre was removed, it afforded a good opportunity to see what the sealant had done. I can report that the sealant had covered the entire inside of the tyre, including the tread, the sidewall and the tyre to wheel-rim joint. There was also about a cup-full of "spare" sealant sloshing around in the tyre. The sealant was easy to remove with water and a cloth. There appeared to be no residue left on the inside of the tyre tread area. I see no reason why a vulcanised repair could not be made if one wanted.

I installed some more of the same sealant in the replacement tyre myself. A straightforward task, but it does help to have an air compressor. My Halford tyre inflator(part of their battery jump start product) blew apart at around 30 psi, so the rest was by foot pump. Good exercise for the leg, if rather tedious. Certainly not something to contemplate if doing all four (or five) tyres on a van!

While we are on the subject of puncture sealants:- in the 'Screwfix' catalogue, advertised as 'new', Instant tyre Repair Air Compressor with Sealant, £34.99, Max Pressure 120 PSI, 12V plugs into cigarette lighter. Might be worth looking into???????????

I used some stuff from Halfords to try and fix the leaks in our air spring thingies. It slowed them down quite a bit, didn't cure them.

I think that you need to wizz the item being treated round and round a lot, like it happens to the road wheels, which is quite difficult with the air spring thingies fastened to a three ton van.

AGD

Derek -

I may have misread the blurb on their website, but under the "Tips" section, it seems to indicate that their unit should not be used on any tyre "where the vehicle placard indicates the tyre pressure should be above 43 psi"

If that is so, it might be useful for car tyres, but probably not for MH ones?

BGD,

I admit to not looking closely at the ContiComfortKit information on Continental's website.

I had seen the product (that apparently has been around since 2002) at a local tyre-fitting outlet and picked up a leaflet about it from there. The leaflet makes no mention of a tyre-pressure limit, but learning from you that there is one doesn't greatly surprise me. A photo in the leaflet shows the pressure-gauge reading up to 8bar (approaching 120psi), but that's not necessarily relevant.

I agree with you that a 43psi-maximum recommendation makes the Continental product of little value for most motorhomes.

• 1 month later...

Having become increasingly concerned at my lack of any tyre sealant, I thought I'd do some research.

The link below is interesting (section 2)

http://www.btmauk.com/page/manufacturing/

The British Tyre Manufacturers Association say "BTMA continues to be concerned both about advertisements that advocate the use of liquid sealants in tyres as a means of effecting a permanent seal or repair and the potential misuse of the type of sealants which are intended merely as a temporary "get you home" measure".

The BTMA concludes, "BTMA members consider there are inherent dangers in the use of liquid sealants which they believe constitute an unapproved modification to their products for which responsibility cannot be accepted. Nevertheless they recognise that post-puncture sealants may well serve a useful function if used correctly. To this end, they would not oppose their use in conjunction with strict legislative controls such as those employed for temporary use spares and also with the proviso that once a tyre has been punctured and post-puncture sealant applied, the tyre must be discarded".

The Caravan Club say "Sealants applied after a puncture as a short term, ‘get you out of trouble’ measure may be useful, but note that many caravan tyre punctures result in too much tyre damage to use such products. Tyre fitters may be reluctant to repair tyres which have been filled with sealant.

Pre-puncture sealants, intended to protect against punctures occurring are a different matter. The Club does not recommend the use of these, mainly due to a lack of credible, independent, widely applicable test standards for them. We have reason to believe that the effectiveness of such products can vary greatly, yet we have no reliable means to differentiate which, if any, are acceptable".

Holts Automotive claims its tyreweld (temporary repair) is the only one approved by the National Tyre Distributors Association (NTDA) but I have been unable to confirm this with NTDA.

Michelin seem to be taking the same tack as others. They refer to

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/

This supports other comments regarding the possible use of post puncture repair kits.

It’s no surprise that trade bodies etc have reservations about recommending products that they have not tested or they know have been tested. Legislation and the nanny state mean we are increasingly risk averse to recommending anything.

I used to be involved with tyre sealants, ultraseal & punctureseal & they are great products, I think the caravanclub should have done some more home work.

The sealant is easily cleaned from the tyre with a damp cloth....

& now the but

Many firms wont attempt to repair a tyre with sealant in it (even though its easy to remove)

you still need to check your tyres for damage & nails etc, its not a fit & forget measure.

If you have a puncture in the side wall of the tyre, it will still deflate although slower.

a better method is to have air pressure sensors in the tyres, so you know if your tyre is deflating

Paul

Couldnt agree more with you Paul,i`ve always thought that punture sealants were a load of rubbish especially being in the motor trade and must admit to previously turning away customers with tyres full of gunge but after seeing a demo of one of the sealant companies at the nec show, i`m certainly going to use it on my van,i can see where the concerns lie with bodies such as the BTMA your always going to have the "i`ve got sealant in my tyres why should i check them" brigade,but i think its a great idea to have the option of when to have your tyre repaired rather than being by the side of a motorway with a jack and wheel brace and traffic whizzing past at 70mph.

ps i still have yet to hear from anyone having positive results of the after

puncture inflation aerosols and they are now quite commonly used

instead of a spare wheel with a lot of new cars.

Archived