Autotrail Cheyenne 630

penny

Am thinking of purchasing a Cheyenne 630 2007 reg: Anyone any experience of this vehicle? Is engine size adiquate, current vehicle has 2.8 HDI engine pulling similar wieght. Any faults I should be looking for?

Comments/advice most welcome.

Hi penny,

Which base vehicle is it on? Be very wary of Fiat, read the other posts on this forum to find out more. Is the price right or is it a bargain. You may find it is being sold cheap if it has problems.

Is it an SE? You get a lot of goodies for the extra money, if not I suggest you look further for the SE model.

Our Cheyenne is on a 2.2 Mercedes 130 HP and is fantastic, very relaxed at 60 - 65mph on the motorway and never seems to struggle for power.. Build quality is also very good.

If you do buy it then enjoy!

Keith.

penny - 2008-11-18 10:10 AM

Am thinking of purchasing a Cheyenne 630 2007 reg: Anyone any experience of this vehicle? Is engine size adiquate, current vehicle has 2.8 HDI engine pulling similar wieght. Any faults I should be looking for?

Comments/advice most welcome.[/quote

I have A 2007 Cheyenne 635 with a 160 multijet engine. More than enough power, check for cruise sontrol. Essential for decent MPG. They are a lovely vehicle to drive. There is some extensive discussion about `Judder when reversing` in the Motorhome Facts website. (if I can mention that site)

I have not experienced it myself though.

It is a 2007 reg vehicle.  It was expensive.  Presumably it's previous owner sold, it or traded it, to the dealer.  That will have cost it's previous owner a lot of money.  I'd be very cautious and would want to speak to the previous owner, if possible, before going too far.

The first issue to resolve, however, is whether it is on the X250 Fiat chassis, or the previous one.  You say it is a Fiat 2.8HDI, which is a bit confusing, as the HDI engine designation, so far as I know, is used only by Peugeot/Citroen and not Fiat, whose (essentially similar) engines are designated JTD. 

However, if it is a 2.8 HDI/JTD I would assume it is on the older chassis, and therefore will not be affected by the juddering problem.  I would, however, check to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you go any further.  Hope this helps.

Hi Penny,

We have an AT Cheyenne 630LB (two berth). although we took delivery in March this year the chassis cab was delivered to Autotrail in June 2007. Our previous 'van was a Cheyenne 634U with the 2.8 JTD engine (03 plate), but the new Fiat out-performs it considerably, very flexible, cruises anywhere on the motorway in 6th, and very nimble and light on the steering. I'm not prone to tootling about at 45mph so my fuel consumption average over 5200 miles from new is only 24.7mpg but improving all the while. The fibreglass body panels make the habitation part seem much more sturdy.

Is the 'van you're considering a 5 or 6 speed? Although I don't think it would make much difference to overall performance as the top speed ratios seem quite similar, but I understand that the 5 speed is less prone to the infamous Fiat judder in reverse. We have experienced this and whilst it's not as catastrophic as Andy Stothert's (I can contain it without burning the clutch) I'm still not 100% happy and have registered my complaint with Fiat. DO MAKE SURE YOU TEST IT UP A STEEP HILL IN REVERSE.

If the one you're interested in doesn't have cruise control (it was introduced early 2007) get about £400 knocked off to have it fitted. Dave Newell and Leisurepower in Warrington both do a good job.

Check out the spare wheel; it was about this time Autotrail stopped supplying them. You can get the rim from Peugot dealers for about £45 (cheaper than Fiat dealers)and the Vanco Camping tyre is about £94 (lattitude for mor cash knocked off!)

Generally we're very pleased withg ours, we miss the little cupboards under the top lockers but it's a small price to pay for the overall improvements.

Best of luck!

Mike P

Archived