Cab blinds

mikeyb

Don Madge - 2008-11-23 12:16 PM

Hi Patricia,

I have the same blinds, do you drive with the front blind side guides up or folded down?

Mine are still going strong after 56,000 miles of use.

Don

Hi Don

Our are the same as yours, pull up front the bottom of the Screen, with fold down side arms.

There is a Remis sticker on them that says the side arms should be lowered when driving.

We had on ocasion when we didn't lower the arm & it fell whilst motoring. Fortunately on the near side , but could have had a serious distraction if it had been the drivers side.

Lowering them is now on our check list before driving off.

Hope this helps with your query.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my original enquiry. We have been enjoying Motorcaravanning for over 20 years, but it just goes to show that you can always benefit from someone elses experience. It's interesting to read the different views that have been expressed, and in the end we decided that we would give these blinds a try. What really made the decision so much easier was the appearance on E-bay of a set of New Old Stock blinds specific to our van. They're the later version (vertical pleats on w'screen), list price approx £450. Unbelievably, my bid of £51 won the auction!!!!!!!!. Couldn't believe my luck. Now waiting with crossed fingers, baited breath etc that they turn out to be what I expected. Regards to all, Mike.

mikeyb - 2008-11-24 8:47 AM Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my original enquiry. We have been enjoying Motorcaravanning for over 20 years, but it just goes to show that you can always benefit from someone elses experience. It's interesting to read the different views that have been expressed, and in the end we decided that we would give these blinds a try. What really made the decision so much easier was the appearance on E-bay of a set of New Old Stock blinds specific to our van. They're the later version (vertical pleats on w'screen), list price approx £450. Unbelievably, my bid of £51 won the auction!!!!!!!!. Couldn't believe my luck. Now waiting with crossed fingers, baited breath etc that they turn out to be what I expected. Regards to all, Mike.

As they are old stock, keep a close eye on them after you've fitted them, and inspect them for anything that looks like mildew, or black mold, on the inside faces. 

There was a batch about two years back, made from defective material, that lacked a the layer over the aluminium layer (though thin, it is a multi layer material).  If you see this appearing, it is almost certainly not mildew, but the aluminium layer oxidising.

If the oxidation appears (it'll take a while to show unless they're affected on delivery), don't panic!  Remis publicly acknowledged the defect, and undertook to replace all affected blinds.  Contact Remis, and explain that you've only just got them.  I don't think they withdrew or time limited their offer, so they should still uphold their undertaking to replace those affected with new.

Received a Parma Industries leaflet with MMM today.

Quote "End of line clearance, Due to supply problems with the Manufacturer we have decided to discontinue stocking REMIS Blinds"

Save £100 Only £325.

Could be the ressession or something more sinister (?) 8-)

Well, I received the blinds, and needless to say, my £51 bargain didn't seem so great. Initially, only half the consignment arrived due to the carriers managing to seperate the 2 packages. There were parts missing, the instructions were in German, and to cap it all, they were for a 2006 onwards van, not 2000 to 2006 as advertised. Fired of a "very upset and disappointed" e-mail to the seller, who, it must be said was very obliging and helpful, and offered a full refund straight away. After some more thought, and sitting in the cab, blinds and tape measure in hand, I convinced myself that I could carefully re-shape the parts that didn't fit, and still get the bargain I thought I had bagged in the first place. Told seller this, and he still offered refund if I changed my mind again. Later that day, he e-mailed me again to say that he had found the missing parts, and another set of blinds, and he would put these in the post as well. Can't say fairer than that, thought I. So, I await these other bits which will hopefully allow me to fit the whole lot next week-end. Just thought I'd keep you all up to date. Cheers for now, Mike.

Archived