What happened to the wasps??

libby

I've used the forum's handy SEARCH facility and this is likely to be the thread involved.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13171&posts=30

Another SEARCH suggests that the person with the wasp problem ("everhopeful") is probably still an active forum participant. As no firm conclusion seems to have been reached about whether or not the motorhome carried a wasp nest, why not send everhopeful a PM (private Message) and ask about it?

Have sent him a PM.

Its quite possible he was carrying the beginnings of a colony, but each time he moved site some were left behind and therefore lost, they would be needed to feed the hatching eggs so perhaps the queen moved on, I've not known of this but its pretty likely here. They're very clever beings.

Birds will often nest in moveable vehicles.

Hi all.

Sadly I'm the one with the Wasp problem.

I checked everywhere for nests and holes and all I could find were several ventilation grilles with large-ish holes. I fitted a finer mesh over these that should keep most things out. I now always keep the cab vent on recirc and I've armed myself with an electronic tennis bat zapper and several swatters and nets. All I need is the camouflage suit for a full set!

I've been away twice since, and even though I've been willing them in they've not been near. So, I still don't know if I'm carrying a well-hidden nest or whether they had simply taken a liking to the grilles. It could be that it's just too wet or cold for them now and they could be lying low, or they could presently just be eggs!

As I've just finished the last trip this year it's going to be next summer when I perhaps know the full story. I don't know the breeding habits of Wasps, but when (if) it warms up that will surely wake them up! If they are still around I'm hoping they take one look at my Arsenal and fortifications and buzz off somewhere else - hopefully not in someone elses motorhome!

Cheers 8-)

Dont worry about the wasps, the only one that would be left alive is the Queen, she will be hibernating in a cosy little corner somewhere. She will wake up in the spring and start to make a new nest, then lay eggs and the whole process of a colony will start again. If you find her in the spring either kill her or remove and destroy the nest it will look like a small egg cup.

David.

Archived