Campsites open Jan-March

Patony

We are going down to Murcia (our first long trip) in Jan for 3 months or so. We have tried emailing nine sites to get information on opening dates and an idea of costs but have not received one reply. We did get a reply from La Manga (1000 pitches) who said they were full!!! which is a bit daunting as a newcomer.

Can you advise whether we should try and book a site before we leave or are there plenty of sites open at that time of the year.

Any info would be appreciated

Hi,

There are plenty of site to go at that are open. Your best bet is the caravan club spanish sites book. It list all the sites both open and closed.

IMHO Lamanga is a dump. There are plent of sites on the east coast higher up and the weather is not a lot different. Or like us try the costa de luz. We stay at Camping Rosaleda in Conil de la frontera. You then have the choice to move east to eastern spain or west to Portugal

Richard

look at camping and caravanning club, they have winter rallies and you can stay as long as you want, i.e it may be a 90 day rally but you can stay for only 2 weeks if you want. they cover spain and portugal and have bookable sites for overnight stops. they will also book you on their recommended sites if you dont like the idea of a rally. you will have to join £30/year, but they have reserved pitches so a site may be full to you but not to them. Agree with W1ntersun La Manga in parts is like a shanty town, but the camping and caravanning club area is ok.

good lick and safe travels

Mike

Guest Tracker

I don't blame you for being cautious but many of us go all over Europe and beyond and never book a site - if fact many of us never use a site!

You might consider the ASCI book of sites that offer flat rate off peak site nights.

Vicarious books sell them (see their website) as well as a few other decent site and aire books.

w1ntersun - 2008-11-23 2:56 PM

Hi,

There are plenty of site to go at that are open. Your best bet is the caravan club spanish sites book. It list all the sites both open and closed.

IMHO Lamanga is a dump. There are plent of sites on the east coast higher up and the weather is not a lot different. Or like us try the costa de luz. We stay at Camping Rosaleda in Conil de la frontera. You then have the choice to move east to eastern spain or west to Portugal

Richard

Couldn't agree more. La Manga is a huge and overcrowded campsite (Although the restaurant is OK) and the area outside the campsite is dead out of season. However, it does have transport links to Cartegena and Murcia. Camping Roseleda at Conil de la Frontera is an absolute gem and I'll be down there in January for a few weeks, all being well. I've even heard it recommended by a German and they can be difficult to please!

Couple of thoughts that might help:

Did you email them in Spanish? If you only sent it in English (a foreign language here) then it's quite possible they can't reply.

It may be worth giving those sites a call by phone instead.....some can speak a lot/a bit of English but find it very very difficult to read or write that foreign language.

I'd echo the recommendation for the use of the ACSI card in Spain.

If you are coming over in 2009 you'll need the new (ie 2009) one, as each one is valid for a calendar year. The book of sites that comes with it we have found to be very useful indeed.

We've never found the need to book ahead....especially not out of peak (ie July and August) summer season. There are any number of places to wild camp in Spain, particularly if you are inland, or indeed even just a couple of miles inland from the coastal strip.

If pushed, be aware that you can by law park overnight on a roadside anywhere in Spain where parking is permitted, so long as you don't "camp" (ie don't put out your awning, tables and chairs etc).

Cheers,

Bruce.

Hi Patony,

There are lots of sites open in Murcia/southern Spain at the time of year that you want to go BUT, most of them will be full of overwintering north Europeans. I'm quite familiar with Caravanning La Manga as I usually call to see friends who over winter there. A word of warning about Caravanning La Manga,it's not to everybody's taste. It has lots of "Permanentes", Spaniards who live permanently on the site in all shapes and sizes of mobile homes and other assorted dwellings and it can give an appearance of a shanty town. Twenty Euros a day is the usual price but will be significantly reduced for stays in excess of 7 days. I never book and have rarely had a problem but I'm prepared to "free camp" if necessary and when you see the state of many Spanish sites you'll probably prefer it too. My advice is to turn up and see if there is space but always have a look at the site first as I've rejected lots of Spanish sites on a simple walk round. There are a few camper parks/ Aires opening and I've found most of them preferable to the regular camp sites and considerably cheaper too.

Bill Ord

Many thanks to all who sent replies - we are greatly encouraged by your friendly comments, and feeling more confident.

Discovered some of our emails were not delivered, so that clears that mystery up.

We will 'wing it' without booking, and look forward to some sunshine!

Thanks again - Patony

Dear Pete

Thanks for your comments so far on camping in Spain.Very helpful. We will be sailing Dover to Dunkerque (shortest route for crossing with our dog) and wondered if you have a favourite route that you use to get down through France. We would be heading for S E France (Perpignon) in order to motor along the east coast of Spain and then along the south coast - heading for Murcia and Andalucia. As this is our fist trip of this magnitude your comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony & Pat

Patony - 2008-11-30 4:07 PM

Dear Pete

Thanks for your comments so far on camping in Spain.Very helpful. We will be sailing Dover to Dunkerque (shortest route for crossing with our dog) and wondered if you have a favourite route that you use to get down through France. We would be heading for S E France (Perpignon) in order to motor along the east coast of Spain and then along the south coast - heading for Murcia and Andalucia. As this is our fist trip of this magnitude your comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony & Pat

E-mail on way.

Archived