BBC World Service in Spain

colin weston

Some time back I enquired about receiving BBC World Service in Southern Spain now that BBC have ceased their European Short-wave broadcasts.

I was unable to pickup the North African short-wave broadcasts as suggested but there is an English speaking station called REM FM on 104.8 that gives regular BBC news updates and broadcasts the World Service during the early hours if you cant get to sleep. It tends to be a light-hearted BBC 2 type of programme and easy to listen to. It has its main studio in Edinburgh (Scotland) with other studios in Marbella (Costa del Sol) and somewhere in the Costa Blanca.

The "Northern" REM studio is in Altea on the Costa Blanca, and the frequency up here (rather than on the Costa del Sol) is 88.2

I agree. For Brits it's a very good and informative English talk and music station.

REM was formed about 3 years ago by a bunch of presenters from "OCI International" who suddenly all resigned en masse to launch REM on air a couple of days later; as they'd been setting up their competitor station on the quiet (ha ha that's a pun isn't it?) whilst working at OCI.

OCI International (94.6 FM on the Costa Blanca) has staggered on until now, but as REM has gathered more and more of the big advertising revenue clients, and thus OCI is finally shutting down next Friday, 28th November.

Archived