chausson

Sheila

This seems to be the Chausson Welcome 27.  It ceased production in 2005 and was Transit based, otherwise I have no details.  It may have been reviewed in the French Press (maybe Camping Car magazine), but Le Monde du Camping Car did not review it.

If considering buying look closely, as Chausson/Challenger models generally, but especially their budget ranges, are not so well renowned for their durability.  Quite a bit of the "cabinet work" begins to show its age (the joints on frames etc opening up), and the fabrics do not always wear well.

Sheila,

Apparently there was a 'Brief/New Model' report of a 2004 Chausson Welcome 27 in the August 2004 issue of MMM magazine. I presume it should be possible for you to obtain a reprint of this should you so wish, or perhaps another forum-member could let you have a copy. (Note that, as it's not a 'full' test-report, the MMM article may not have much useful information in it.)

I believe that Challenger 182 was identical to Welcome 27 and the former was reported on in Issue 145 of Le Monde du Camping-Car. (Brian may have a copy.) Camping-Car magazine reviewed neither model.

Welcome 27 was a straightforward, no frills, relatively large, relatively cheap (in France) 'family' overcab-design motorhome based on a long wheelbase, rear-wheel drive Ford Transit chassis with a twinned-wheel rear axle. It had lots of seating and sleeping capacity, but (assuming that the vehicle's overall weight limit was the usual 3500kg) you might find yourself a mite tight on payload if you filled it with people and their luggage and a liberal helping of water and gas. I think there was a choice of motors - either a 125bhp/5-speed of a 137bhp/6-speed. You might find fast motorway travel tiring if the former motor is fitted due to the lowish top gear.

Brian mentions Chausson durability and, if you have your eye on a particular vehicle, you should certainly ensure that a thorough damp-test is carried out before committing to purchasing it. It would also be worth checking the specification of the base-vehicle as Ford Transits marketed in France often lacked important features (eg. Anti-lock brakes) that were standard on Transits marketed in the UK.

Archived