Doctors Repeat Medicines ( going away for 3 months)

w1ntersun

Brian, your finding is the same as I reported myself on another thread. The reciprocal arrangements between the countries of the EU are very complicated and few people who have to administer the rules understand them. In England I received a different interpretation from the Foreign Office to the one from the National Health and in France I managed to obtain a medical concession for a friend and for my husband but not for myself who had the same condition! This was despite support from the French doctor three times! Unfortunately there are several problems involved here.

For example, if you stay in France (and I believe this applies to all EU countries) for more than three months then you have actually become a resident. This means that you should apply for a specific form from the National Insurance and Pensions Office, according to your personal circumstances and age, to transfer health benefits and to register with a doctor. You have to register for tax purposes and re-register your vehicle. Any animals also come under that countries regulations i.e. rabies vaccinations annually rather than three-yearly as in England. Most English health insurance policies also only cover 90 days. After this period you are treated like a citizen of that country i.e. if in France you have to pay for prescriptions (no free ones after the age of 60) except for 30 serious conditions and then you have a long fight to get free medication. Incidentally there are very few age concessions in France - my theory is that their pensions are not much less than their salaries were so they are expected to pay their way still.

If you are found to stay in the country for more than three months without following this procedure technically you can be arrested etc. and if you have ever studied the posters in the Prefecture they can lock you away for a long time! Although you no longer technically need one, I still have a French resident's card which covers me.

Now if you should decide to emigrate to this other EU country and you draw a Government pension you will still be liable to pay British tax on it for the rest of your life. Only the state pension will be taxed in your new country of residence. There are many expats who have fallen between the two countries when it comes to health costs and are facing huge bills if they have serious conditions and cannot obtain private insurance.

So although I agree that it is patently unfair that I have paid taxes etc. all my life but would be penalised after three months (particularly when people from other countries outside the EU can just come here and claim vast amounts of money) I would prefer not to rock the boat and just accept my three months' supply. As most, if not all, of this legislation comes from Brussels I think there is little likelihood of changing matters, certainly while this government is in power.

Talk to your doctor.

If you are an old sod who does not have to pay for prescriptions, is generally in good health, shows no signs of suididal tendencies and has a genuine regular need for something like Asthma or diabetic medication then most doctors will be accomodating.

Most medications are less costly abroad and very cheap in Eastern Europe and Asia.

If you need to stock pile then at least do it over the previous year and don,t leave it until that last couple of weeks.

Keep taking the Pills!

C.

Guest JudgeMental

with Insulin I have a reasonably large stock...so prescription is not the concern. It is if I have a failure of refrigeration and stock is spoilt, consequently the need to get a local supply....

My Fridge failed due to a gas problem last summer and I noticed in time...but it is a worry.Diabetics do not pay for prescriptions anyway.

This affects me. I have been taking hypertensive drugs for many years and next September intend to go through France, Spain and Portugal. My doctor insists on only giving me a max of three months supply and I have to see him for a check up every 6 months for him to check to ensure the medication is working adequately. I have to acknowledge that this is in fact in my interest. Strokes and heart attacks are serious matters and ones health is not something to put at risk. As inconvenient as it is ( and expensive ) we are arranging our trip arround the possible need to leave the van in Lisbon and fly back for my check up and catch up with friends etc in December.

This is very much a personal consideration and I am not preaching to others, all I am saying is that ones health has to be paramount and not something to put at risk. Tedious I know, but actually as a rule Doctors do want you to stay healthy.

Porky Well fed and happy but according to my doctor too heavy.

Thank you for your replies.  I assume from what you say that you are all happy with thse Regulations, and see no need for them to be changed?

To Stephen, I would say, irrespective of the advice of the drug squad, I can see no reason why a doctor who knows his patient, and knows their absence from UK will be temporary, should not be allowed to use his own judgement as to whether it is appropriate to prescribe medication for more than three months, and also retain his patient on his list.  These Regulations do not allow him that discretion.

To Roy, I would say, that his doctor is presumably satisfied his condition is now stable, and he no longer needs to see him so frequently.  However, the point remains that, within these rules, his doctor cannot prescribe more then three months of medication, should Roy wish him to do so.

To Patricia, I would say, that these are, to a great extent, different issues.  As an aside, the requirement for residency surely arises after six months, and not three?  My main point, however, is why, if your income is paid to you in UK, you retain British nationality and residency, and pay UK income tax, should you be denied NHS treatment because you are out of the UK for more than three months?  Anyone else with the same condition, but who remains in UK, continues to receive NHS treatment.  Why this discrimination?

To Clive, I would say, if you read the Regulations, that is not permissible.  If the doctor does as you say he is in breach of his NHS contract, and becomes subject to quite severe penalties.  If he chooses to do so that is, of course, his decision.  My point though, was why should he be made to risk his livelihood to do so?  I would further add that there must surely be some doubt as to whether all UK prescription drugs are, in fact, available "over the counter" elsewhere.  What if they are not?

To Porky, I would say, that very unfortunately he falls into a category of people for whom prescribing more than three months supply of his medication carries unreasonable clinical risks.  His supply of medication is not being dictated by these rules, therefore, but by his condition.

Porky - 2008-12-10 10:50 AM

This affects me. I have been taking hypertensive drugs for many years and next September intend to go through France, Spain and Portugal.... As inconvenient as it is ( and expensive ) we are arranging our trip arround the possible need to leave the van in Lisbon and fly back for my check up ..... QUOTE]

Can I point out Porky that I have not found any motorhome (or car) insurer who will cover the vehicle if it is left in a foreign country for more than 36 hours ! Could you get back to Portugal in that short amount of time? If not maybe your wife could stay with the m/home? I would certainly advise you to check with your insurers, otherwise it could be a very costly visit to the doctors.

Brian Kirby - 2008-12-10 12:49 PM

Thank you for your replies.  I assume from what you say that you are all happy with thse Regulations, and see no need for them to be changed >To Patricia, I would say, that these are, to a great extent, different issues.  As an aside, the requirement for residency surely arises after six months, and not three?  My main point, however, is why, if your income is paid to you in UK, you retain British nationality and residency, and pay UK income tax, should you be denied NHS treatment because you are out of the UK for more than three months?  Anyone else with the same condition, but who remains in UK, continues to receive NHS treatment.  Why this discrimination?

< >
Brian I agree with you completely about the unfair discrimination - I think it is absolutely dreadful that this policy exists but I just think there is no chance whatsoever of changing this present government's attitude. If they had their way they would probably stop the ordinary pension to anyone who had the audacity to go abroad in a motorhome in the first place!As to your comment about the three month rule this certainly applies to France. You can stay for up to three months at a time with a maximum of up to six months in the year. If this is what the French authorities stipulate I imagine it applies to other member states as well. Just a pity that it doesn't seem to apply to all the people who come to Britain and then stay several years. Incidentally the situation is the same for people who stay in England but live on a mobile home site - they are classed as having no fixed abode and cannot claim NHS treatment (unless of course they give a relative's or friend's address). This is just as unfair as many will still be working and paying tax and National Insurance.Just how do you get more than one quote into a post?

Patricia - 2008-12-10 6:54 PM

Porky - 2008-12-10 10:50 AM

This affects me. I have been taking hypertensive drugs for many years and next September intend to go through France, Spain and Portugal.... As inconvenient as it is ( and expensive ) we are arranging our trip arround the possible need to leave the van in Lisbon and fly back for my check up ..... QUOTE]

Can I point out Porky that I have not found any motorhome (or car) insurer who will cover the vehicle if it is left in a foreign country for more than 36 hours ! Could you get back to Portugal in that short amount of time? If not maybe your wife could stay with the m/home? I would certainly advise you to check with your insurers, otherwise it could be a very costly visit to the doctors.

Hi Patrica,

Some insurers will let you leave a vehicle if it is stored in a secure place like a car hire dept at an airport but they must agree in advance.

Some friends of ours fly home every Christmas and leave their motorhome in one of the car hire depots at Faro airport.

Don

That's interesting Don. I found this out some years ago after my husband had had a stroke (and at that time I couldn't imagine ever driving a large m/home!!) and my insurers wouldn't agree to it being left in a secure place so they paid for my son-in-law to fly out to drive it home. Someone on a thread a few months ago was going to leave their's at their second home in France but when I warned them about the insurance they had to cancel their plans. They said that they enquired to as many insurers as they could and none would allow it to stay there. It would be interesting perhaps to others to know which insurer does allow it as many people want to fly home for short visits.

Thank you Don for warning me about the insurance aspect of leaving a van abroad. I will explore the possibility about Lisbon car hire depots but failing that your information about Faro being an option means we will just have to go a little further south. This motorhoming is full of tough decisions!!

Porky

Guest JudgeMental
Porky - 2008-12-11 12:34 PM

Thank you Don for warning me about the insurance aspect of leaving a van abroad. I will explore the possibility about Lisbon car hire depots but failing that your information about Faro being an option means we will just have to go a little further south. This motorhoming is full of tough decisions!!

Porky

A bit OTT flying home for just a check up. Buy a decent blood presure monitor for a start. They have qualified doctors in Europe that can examine you just as well as any here....in some cases probably better *-)

Mickydripin - 2008-12-13 12:57 PM My reply would be to change your doctor I did not know about the regulations but I went to France for four months this year and my doctor did not say a word about them and supplied both myself and my wife with the required amount of drugs for that period. Mike

As many will, and for that we should all be grateful.  However, it seems they are, wittingly or unwittingly, taking quite a risk with their livelihoods on our behalves when they do so.  Under the circumstances, it does seem a little unreasonable if we criticise those who won't take the risk.  They are just sticking to the rules in their contracts.  My personal view, is that it is the rules that are unreasonable, and not the doctors who stick to them.

Back in 2004, we left for 12 months in Australia and as my wife is on "sleepy"

pills, (Temazapam), her doctor prescribed a years worth quite happily, although Boots twitched a bit and she had to collect them over a couple of days. Australian customs, not noted for their laxity, also coughed a bit, but after sighting the prescription, allowed them through. She ran out just before coming home, but the local doctor would only prescribe 3 days at a time! On our return, we took up with our doctor again with no suggestion of being struck off his list. So it looks as though we broke every rule in the book!

Archived