French Aire Camping Cars

starvin marvin

Here we are in France on the way to Spain and we happened across a brilliant site at Collioure. Its about 24 km's from Spain on the coast a super little town with all the facilities. The aire has water, toilets and free electricity and the views are fantastic, mountains and the med in one view.

Anyone with the best aires list can add this one one.

Cafe Sola has free wifi or as the french pronounce it "Whiffy"

Hi,

Is this the parking at the Park and Ride? It used to be closed "Out of Season" Good news if it is now open all year. There has been a problem as shown on the Camping -Car Infos site with people squatting there; electric hook-up tend to exacerbate the problem and any way from memory the hook ups were all at one end of the parking and in total about six.

Bill Ord

libby - 2008-11-30 10:59 AM

Hey Don, is there anywhere you have not visited? You must be one of the most travelled?

I assumed you were an Eastern Europe visitor (down to Turkey that is)

Bill

Hi Bill/Roger,

I must admit I got the info on the Arie from camping car info's.

There are a few places we still have to visit in Europe, we do prefer Turkey/Eastern Europe as its a lot less crowded and the people in Turkey are especially friendly.

We are well travelled in France, I've been driving in France for 55 years and 37 of those as a tourist. We are loners/isolationists and for us France has got too crowded these days but we have our memories.

Who knows once we have to slow down a bit we might return to our old haunts.

Safe travelling.

Don

Hi,

We were on this aire 2 years ago and it certainly did close then (last week-end September) as all vans had to leave! In season, we think opens May, is worth staying for a couple of nights as free park and ride bus takes you straight into Collioure, the gem of this part of the Med coast. Yes it was 6€ inc electricity; points are limited and only on lower couple of levels where views are not as good as higher up. Another real plus is that the car park is guarded 24 hours/day so no security worries here, against this the spaces are tight, particularly if car park is full (only lower level spaces are designated for campin cars. Out of season vans used to stay on car park up road from aire, next to main road towards Spain, so perhaps not very secure. If aire now open in winter then might be a good transit stop, but without p and r bus a long walk to town. A better place for a longer ou of season stay is the aire at Port Vendres.

Jean and Robert

The aire does indeed cost 7.5 euro's. However arriving on a Friday afternoon and leaving as the French do and did!! mass exodus, before 10.00am on Monday and its is free. If you want to park free in the town there is a large car park thats free at the railway station. We stayed there on Thurs night and it was fine.

But even at 7.5 euro's the aire is good.

We're off to Port Vendres tomorrow and then to Spain on Weds to wild camp proper.

Hi I was in Argeles in mar 2007 and used that coast road .It was extremely windy with gusts up to 60/70 mph.The road is narrow and winding and it was the most frightening drive of my life.The van was all over the place ,I thought I would lose my sat dish and my Heike roof.The over head cab on my van (at that time a Compassavant 200) seemed to be flexing with the wind.I did not see any of the scenery as I could not take my eyes off the road.I have been back to Spain this year feb but used the main road.It was still windy but much more comfortable to drive.The scenery is not as spectacular(according to my wife who I have to believe) but I will wait until the Mistral finishes before I use the coast road again.Kevin

Mike88 - 2008-12-01 3:26 PM

When you leave Port Vendres I would'nt advise crossing into Spain via the med coast. Its incredibly bendy , high and narrow. And with no barriers at certain points, its not for the faint hearted. I'll not do it again thats for sure.

I have used this road many times, in all sorts of weather, and never found it a problem. It is a very scenic drive from Port-Venrdes to El Port de Lançà. There is a regular bus service along it, so it can't be that difficult! You just have to match your speed to the road conditions.

Refering back to the "aire" by Collioure, just off the N114 (as was), it used to have a water tap but this has now been removed as it was obviously abused by the "freeloaders". There is also talk of the aire at Port-Vendres being closed as part of the development of the port, which would be a great shame. There used to be a place where you could stop for the night at Platja de Garbet, but this has now been closed off with a height barrier as it was being abused. These people spoil it for everyone.

Archived