Cruise control

Guest Michael Parker

Pete, Re-calibration isn't too difficult once you've done a few but it can be tricky the first time or two. Contact CA and ask for the instructions for calibration, they'll usually send them out. As for the LED, personally I wouldn't bother. The manufacurers own cruise systems rarely, if ever, have one. I've always found that if the 'van is still trogging along happily and my foot isn't on the pedal then it's a fair bet the cruise is doing it's job! D.

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-07-22 1:56 PM Hi David, Factory fitted cruise control is available for the Renault Master but I'm pretty sure it's a production line option only i.e. not available as retro fit. There should be no warranty issue but it's best to check with your dealer/Renault agent. Funnily enough I had a call this morning from a chap with a new Traffic. He had enquired after factory cruise but was told it wasn't an option, he then asked about warranty issues if he had a third party cruise fitted. Their reply was that as long as it doesn't alter any wiring looms it would be ok. I should be speaking to the dealer in question soon about this to clarify it but I think they mean as long as the original wiring is still connected as it was in the factory that will be ok but if anything gets connected in between harnesses/ECUs as is the case with the fully electronic systems and some chip upgrade kits then this would void the manufacturers warranty. Sorry you missed me at Lincoln, I don't have a stand at the shows just yet (maybe next year) but I do a few pre arranged fittings at most of the shows. The systems I use (the same as CA) are eminently suitable for the new Master although the fitting is slightly more involved than on a Fiat or Merc for example, still no problem though. D.[/QUOTE] Thanks to dave (and Don) for the answers. Dave, would you be at York and if so I'll make sure I catch you there to have a look and discuss the CC. Regards, david

I,m am pretty sure young Dave will be at Malvern, not sure about York though. If you give him a bell on the phone (number on his web site) and its not raining your motor may get a CC fitted a Malvern, & I shall be there to make sure he does it properly!! ( I can hear Dave giving me advise already!!) The Cruise controls I have fitted have been for ourselves only and all electronic. I understand the arguements regarding the simplicity of the vacuum system but I always have in the back of my mind the thought that should a vacuum leak occour them the servo braking becomes non servo braking. The all electronic versions don,t pose this risk to the braking. But they have more bits to fail and cost a few bob more. The safest place to take a speed signal from (on manual gearbox vehicles) is the tacho output of the vehicle alternator. This does not have any connection to the Engine Management ECU. Many modern vehicles also provide a "processed" speed signal at a behind dash connector. But if this is used warranty issues MAY arise. As has been said "Best thing since sliced bread" If you are buying a new vehicle then specify OEM cruise control. Good luck Clive

Clive Wish I understood just some of that. I think the one Dave recommends is one that has 3 preset speeds on the end of the stalk - which seems a sensible facility to have. But I don't really understand the difference between the vacuum and electronic versions or which category this one falls into. Regards, david

Hi David, Clive speaks true when he says I'll be at Malvern but I will also be at York, if you are going to either of these shows I can fit it there for you. Alternatively you could come over to Telford and have one fitted. As for which type to use (vacuum or electric) I always use the vacuum actuator unless there is a technical reason to use the electric one (by the way both types are elctronically controlled). I have fitted hundreds over the last six years (probably around 100 per year on average) and have had more reliability issues with the dozen or so electric actuators than the hundreds of vacuum units I've fitted. I've seen some vacuum units that have been in service for ten years and I've never seen or heard of a diaphragm splittting (which would be the most likely cause of a vacuum leak). A lot of American RVs use a dump valve to release the cruise throttle quickly and this has been known to fail but they are factory fited units. I've had electro magnetic brake failures, drive pins coming adrift and wiring failure on electric servos as well as a few outout transistor failures in the electric servo control box. I've seen a few faulty solenoid valves on vacuum units but that fault doesn't cause a vacuum leak and I've only seen it happen on cheaper units. Other than that cable adjustment and very occasional cable breakage (easily repaired with a bicycle rear brake inner cable for a cost of about £2) are just about the only faults i've come across with vacuum units. Most modern vehicles have a clean road speed signal available, often behind the instrument panel. Alternatively most modern engines have a cam and/or crank sensor fitted that can be used for engine speed pulse. With the three speed memories available on the new systems, such as I fit, it is preferable to use road speed signal rather than engine speed. I have never encountered a warranty issue from any manufacturer/dealer and I've fitted plenty of kits on brand new motors, many of them at the dealers request and at least once I've installed cruise on a car that was as yet unregistered and still in the showroom! When prospective customers ask me if the fitting of cruise will invalidate any warranty I always tell them to check with the supplying dealer and if required get them to contact me for further information. To date no dealer has ever contacted me over this and the prospective customers have all become customers. d.

Afternoon Dave, David Lloyd, in essence the cruise control pushes (or rather pulls) the vehicle accelerator pedal with a Bowden cable. The cruise control needs some power to do this and this can either come from an electric motor or alternatively from a diaphram operated by the vacuum generated in the engine bay to provide servo assistance to the brakes. A speed signal is also required and this can come from a multitude of sources including magnets on a tranmission shaft, Alternator, Engine pulse generator etc. Signals are also required from the brake pedal switch and sometimes a clutch switch. Plus 12 volts from the vehicle key switch. Dave N. has fitted many more than me and his opinion is based on a large sample. Good luck Clive

Archived