12v portable tyre compressor?

Guest Brian Picken

Guest Brian Picken
Following up John Wickersham's tyre article in Dec's MMM I contacted the International Tool Co re the compressor he recommended for inflating m'home tyres.ITC are out of stock until 29/03.Can anyone recommend an alternative robust,quality product,please?Or is this worth waiting for? Thanks.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I've got a cheap (about £14) pump bought from Road-User or Motorworld (whatever its current name is) that has lasted 7 years so far. But, as the maker's name and/or model-reference for these products never stay the same for long, there's no point in me quoting it. I think the best thing is to have a look at the pump before you buy it, make sure it's suitably bulky (size tends to matter with tyre pumps) and sturdy, and ensure that its maximum inflation pressure is 250psi or higher. All pumps will carry a warranty, so, if you buy locally and the thing goes wrong, it's straightforward to get your money back. Having said this, if the ITC pump is aimed at trucks and RVs it may have a longer flex. I found that, with most 'car' pumps (even the high pressure ones), the cable from dash-board plug to the pump was too short to reach the motorhome's rear wheels and I had to make an extension for mine. The pressure-gauges on cheap pumps are usually for amusement only, so you'll still need a hand-gauge for accuracy.

Guest Kkeith Daniel
Try ebay enter 'power station' in the search and refine it to somewhere near to your post code. You will find a range of power stations with their own 12v 17amp/h sealed batteries, compressor, and emergency lights ranging from £20 + postage if you are unable to collect. The more expensive ones have and inverter as well.

Guest bernardbg
As a rider to the questions on 12volt compressors I agree that the built in Pressure gauge is pretty useless but I also have no confidence in most of the standard pressure gauges available from normal motor accessory suppliers. After trying various types I am now using a Halfords Digital Gauge which appears to be more consistent than others but how can a gauge be checked for accuracy. Also does anyone know of reliable suppliers of "professional quality" gauges suitable for high pressures and with long reach connector. Thanks.

Archived