Covering a Motorhome for winter?

Ranger

An old motorhoming friend of mine and I were discussing covering a motorhome with a tarpauline for winter, as the owner of my old Holdsworth Ranger has just spent a lot of money having the roof repaired, new frames, resealing, etc. and is considering covering it for the winter. I would be against it as the tarpauline may flap about and wear off some paint, or the gell coat on the front and back GRP mouldings and the skylight perspex lids. Any experienced views on this subject from our vast clever membership? None of the half dozen or so owners around here who have their 'vans in their drives bother to cover them.

Agreed, I wouldn't bother unless it was breathable, but even then the risk of damage would put me off.

I ran the heating yesterday though as I felt sorry for her looking all frosty :'(

Guess we want to avoid condensation and so that's really about her being as cold inside as out - so may not run the heating again :-D

Empty those water heaters etc though.

Brrrrr chilly Ned ;-)

I would think that a tarpauline either canvas or plastic would not be a good idea,

As suggested I would investigate a breathable cover made to fit the shape and length of the m/home.

OR

Use it in the winter, standing for any length of time does not do much good to the brakes, engine etc.

Rgds

Edited Despite always checking the speeling and its correct when I post, it seems to be mispelt when the message arrives on the message board *-)

Unless the vehicle is standing under cover, and with its tyres clear of the ground, it needs to be moved at least once per month.

This is to prevent the tyres developing "flats" through continually standing on the same spot, but also to circulate oil and coolant, to run and warm the engine, to exercise the brake circuits and polish rust haze from discs/drums, and to give the clutch some use.  It also warms, ventilates and dries out the engine bay and its electrics. 

This can all be done by taking a tarpaulin off, and putting it back on again, but it don't 'arf sound like hard work!

I purchased a breathable cover for a caravan once but would not bother again. It kept the outside clean but for all the claims it did increase the condensation quite a bit inside, even producing a small amount of mildew, whereas the previous year where it remained uncovered it stayed dry.

Any sort of tarpaulin will probably cause some rubbing marks in strong winds, and as previously said its fatal not running a van reasonably frequently.

I would not recommend using a cover, breathable or not. People who I know who have used them have had additional problems (apart from actually putting the covers on or off) with condensation inside. This may be coincidental to the use of the covers?

Best suggestion is to keep the motorhome in use, even if it's just for a days outing - it prevents so many of the potential problems that laying the motorhome up for the winter can cause.

Would leaving a window open help with the condensation problem? We've just bought a cover for our van to protect it against grafitti "artists". We use the van during the winter and it's going to be a pain putting the cover on and off but we couldn't think of another solution (apart from a gun turret!)

ike

ike - 2008-12-01 1:38 PM

Would leaving a window open help with the condensation problem? We've just bought a cover for our van to protect it against grafitti "artists". We use the van during the winter and it's going to be a pain putting the cover on and off but we couldn't think of another solution (apart from a gun turret!)

ike

We have covered ours in the winter for the past four years, we don't leave any windows open and have not had any condensation problems at all quite the reverse. With a breathing cover the van ventilates exactly the same as if it was not covered, by the vents that are installed during the build. I do however believe that covers are only as good as you are prepared to pay for, having had some experience of them on classic cars, and some of the cheaper makes on the market appear a little suspect from what I have seen.Bas

Been having a ponder regarding the above mentioned condensation issue and why we have not experienced it as a problem. Ours is by no means a new van and as such is fitted with roof vents of the type that permanantly vent even when closed. It occurs to me, do the modern Heki type vents have permenant ventilation or do they completely close off? Do modern 'ordinary' vents close off completely?

If so could this be the cause of condensation build up inside the van?

Bas

I have a heater on over the winter and have never had any damp in the van , just having it on very low all the time helps , covering the van with a cover could make the van damp so thay say do not cover the van just take it out for a run two times a month and use a heater on low all of the time .that will help , i have never had a problem with my van.

run rig - 2008-12-03 12:17 PM

I have a heater on over the winter and have never had any damp in the van , just having it on very low all the time helps , covering the van with a cover could make the van damp so thay say do not cover the van just take it out for a run two times a month and use a heater on low all of the time .that will help , i have never had a problem with my van.

What sort of heater are you using?

Now that winter is upon us, I use a greenhouse heater in the 'van, in the form of an electric fan heater. Set to switch on when the temperature drops to 5 C. leave all the cupboard doors open and matresses on end. Always seems to keep everything in good order, and the fan circulates the air. If we want to go out for a day trip in the 'van in the winter it doesn't take much to warm it up.

Archived