New to motorhoming

Nicegrover53

I am new to motorhoming and am due to pick up my new motorhome after Xmas.

The dealer suggests I stay on a local site for the first night to pick up any snags. What should I take with me to get me over the first night? Bedding and cooking utensils spring to mind but what about the things I might not be aware of - any suggestions?

Nicegrover53 - 2008-11-30 5:32 PM

I am new to motorhoming and am due to pick up my new motorhome after Xmas.

The dealer suggests I stay on a local site for the first night to pick up any snags. What should I take with me to get me over the first night? Bedding and cooking utensils spring to mind but what about the things I might not be aware of - any suggestions?

I would suggest ( being winter and wet ) that you make sure you use a hard standing on your first trip. Parking on grass at this time of year without some sort of 'equipment' to prevent wheel spin when you try to leave,may not be a good idea.

There are a few 'all year rounders' on here who will no doubt have some useful info about kit.

All the best in your future travels.

:-|

Guest Tracker

You will need a gas bottle - preferably two and connecting hose - also known as a 'pigtail' - and spanners for fitting and exchanging when the time comes.

A mains lead might be handy too - although we have never found the need to use a mains hook up - but then again many do!

Toilet fluid - both waste and rinse - but rinse only if the loo has a separate fresh water holding tank.

A water hose for filling the fresh water tank - we use one about 12' long and one about 30' long and can join them if needs be.

A selection of water tap adapters is handy but the two different size of screw fitting adapters supplied with a 'Hozelock' type clip on fitting should do to start with. We also use these for joining the two hoses when needed. As time passes you might like add a variety of hose adapters to cover all shapes and sizes of tap all over Europe!

I would suggest that a meal out would probably be your best bet for the first night as there will be enough to master without complicating it too much?

But if simple pre packed food will suffice a simple hunger stopper meal can be made very quickly - big soup and toast - for example.

Tea, coffee, sugar, milk, breakfast cereal, bread, butter, and crockery and cutlery to use with them will help - so might a tin opener and a bottle opener!

You will need toiletries for the morning and a clean set of clothes which can also double as a spare set in case you get wet sorting out the gas and water issues in the rain! Not forgetting towels and tea towels.

If you can get a mobile number of the hand over or sales person that might be handy if you get a problem you can't solve.

Handovers rarely cover everything in enough detail specially for a newbie and even if it does the excitement with so much to learn means that you will almost certainly miss a point or two.

A decent torch or two, basic tools, hot water bottle (in case you don't master the heating, extra blanket (same reason), washing up liquid (and brush/sponge).

There are probably other things too - but that's all I can remember for now!

Try and get the handover in daylight, preferably in the morning, and try and get sited in daylight too, as not only will the dealership still be open to answer any queries it is a hell of a lot easier to site a van in daylight than it is in darkness.

Brilliant Tracker.

All I can add is a hot water bottle, and winter weight duvet/sleeping bag, in case the heater doesn't work or suddenly stops.  Unlikely, I know, but overprovision is better then hypothermia, as they say!

I'd also say get the handover on a weekday, but not a Friday, just in case you have to go scuttling back to the dealer when his workshop is closed, or his showroom full of weekend "tyre kickers".

A battery powered radio, saves getting out of bed to to turn off the van radio. Slippers to change out of shoes, saves taking muck indoors.

Washing up liquid. Toilet roll and a spare set of clothes, you may be so excited that your stomach loosens up a bit, particularly if you have too much wine.

Keep the gas, cooking and fridge handbook at your side at all times, its surprising how often you have to read them until satisfied.

As its winter and when its sunny you would do best facing the sun, you might add a compass to the luggage. In the shelter of obstacles like a thick hedge or a building can be more pleasant when there's a cold northerly wind.

How about a small level to find out how flat you are, or run some water into the sink and see how it settles, sleeping down-hill can be uncomfortable.

See what others do regarding levelling like running the wheels up onto ramps, not necessary but can be more restfull.

A book to read.

One of my most useful items was a 10ltr plastic watercan, saves driving to the tap once settled in.

Hi Nicegrover53, Most of the equipment mentioned on here you can purchase from the dealer. Ask for 25% discount on anything you buy from his shop, some times they offer a discount with out asking, he should give you an electric hook-up cable free. Welcome to the Forum, you don't have to be a 'nut case' but it does help.

For any MH kit that you don't need on day one, maybe consider ebay.....normally tons of stuff second hand at very low prices in the main.

It's also quite fun just browsing around there for ideas (but careful that you don't end up buying 20 different things when you only went there to research one!)

An earlier post refered to levelling, for which you will need at least two levelling blocks and a small two way spirit level (easier than water in the sink.

Also, pack a door mat, to keep your new toy clean inside. Also a good book, just in case you have nothing else to do. A fairly comprehensive tool kit, duck tape, insulating tape and string might be invaluable if the worst comes to the worst. But don't be discouraged, its great fun really.

There is one advantage in the 'sink test' (as well)

If like ours the drain hole is to the rear (in the base) the M/H can appear to be quite level but sloping forward slightly which CAN mean water residue lays forward of the drain hole, resulting in the user having to resort to wooshing the water towards the hole to remove it.

Not a lot ! but worth a thought ! (perhaps)

Here's a few more..

Some basic first aid items

A couple of rags for wiping equipment clean like hook up lead for example

Sewing kit

Torch

Waste water tank or bucket, depends on how you like to camp though

A few basic tools

Can opener etc, essentially copy what you have at home

Scissors

Some carpet samples from a carpet supplier, (funny enough), to place outside and wipe your feet, I paid £2 yesterday for 15 squares

Apologies if any of these have aleady been mentioned!

Good luck and enjoy it

Martyn

Hopesy - 2008-12-02 9:27 AM

Sad I know but how about spending the first night on your drive then you'll have all the things you forget close to hand and if something major doesn't work like the heating you'll have your nice warm bed near by. :-D

I'm with Roger, winter camping is a bit of an art form and you need more / different gear. [in my limited experience anyway] you also need to be sure that the van design is up to it - eg where are the water tanks.

if it is not too far away - camp on your drive or on a friends for your first trial run. campsites are likely to be quiet - so you can't rely on a hand from another looney - err motorhomer.

failing that - can you stay overnight at the dealers?

good luck and welcome to our wonderful world

B-)

Guest Tracker

I am a great believer in staying close to the dealer for the first night as nine times out of ten a query - often minor - will arise and if you are local it can generally be quickly and easily sorted on the spot.

If the situation gets awkward, and in my experience it usually does not, an upset customer on the premises tends to get the dealer's attention a lot better than a distant phone call - by which time the customer will be really annoyed to have driven home and then found a problem!

Whilst i agree to what has been said i would add that it be near the dealer for problems, reason.Our first was from Madisons at Preston and we live in East Sussex and found 4 problems which they done , but it is a heck of a journey. One from Brownhills still a bit of a trot.One from Marquis, getting nearer. One from Peacehaven , nots so bad.There were others but you get the picture. Anyway wish you safe and happy motoring. :->

I agree that it helps to be near the dealer, and we are operating without any info as to location, of anything!

but have you looked at that list of stuff that has been recommended, poor guy's gonna need an artic just to get it there.

and if there is a problem with something during the evening/night/early morning he's well n truly stuck.

if we were talking any other period I would agree, but I honestly think that the logistics are against a night away.

by the time they've got themselves in and settled it'll be dark, they're really not going to get much chance to snag anything

unless of course the dealer's in Plymouth and they're in Dundee :D

B-)

We are also new to motorhoming. Got our 17ft Rio end of October.

We spent 4 days in Lincolnshire a couple of weeks ago, stopping by the roadside during the night, and thanks to this forum and its wonderful members who answered my questions we did ok. Apart from the "toy" rocking when the big lorrys went past, and the rain on the roof it was fine.

I suggest making a copy of all the instruction books that you received with the motorhome,- how to work the cooker, fridge, heating, tv (everything), and take them with you. Mark the important bits so they jump at you from the page. At least with a copy of all the instructions you have something to refer to, and can make your own notes at the bottom of the page.

As my memory is not so good now it is nice to know at least I have some instructions to hand should we forget what to do. (and I do mean with the motorhome, for those of you who were thinking something else).

Level road if you are camping wild. You dont realise your on a slope till you get into bed, and start rolling to one side. I was on the level side, so stayed put!!!!!

Plenty of covers, and a warm cover underneath you also helps.

Happy camping

Kris

Guest Tracker

No need to photo copy all of the contents of the instruction books - just the half page that actually tells you how the darned things work!

You can disregard the sections in 37 other languages, disregard the torrent of environmental blah, disregard the carefully written and politically correct but mind numbingly obvious safety bumph, disregard the umpteen page world wide alleged customer care locations specifically chosen for their, er , location - which is no where near anywhere you are likely to be when the cussed thing won't work, in the rain, in the dark, and abroad.

That leaves just the half page out of 158 to copy and the weight saved on all these books will add significantly to your available payload so that you can take even more things that you will never ever need.

Archived