New to motorhoming

Nicegrover53

Crikey!!  When we went to fetch our import from Germany I took a kettle & favourite coffee and a great duvet, oh and a wife! We asked the dealer to provide a gas bottle and to fill us with water for the demo and departure and we were off. A quick stop at a small supermarket for a few goodies to eat and drink that evening and for breakfast and we drove to a very chilly campsite we knew in Holland (sorry Nederlands) - a long way from dealer and from home. All part of the adventure!

Thanks for all the sugestions. The one thing concerning me at the moment is the fresh water feed. Can I use any garden hosepipe or do I need a special hose? I have taken note about getting different connectors for taps but what about the end which connects to the motorhome. Does the connector come with the vehicle or will I have to buy it from the dealer or can I buy one in advance?

Thanks for your help.

Roger

Roger, yes you can use domestic hosepipe - if you don't mind plastic tasting brews..

There is food grade, (blue), pipe for sale at caravan/motorhome dealers shops etc, B&Q sell the less flexible clear type.

Of course if you're one of these folk who only use their water tank water for showering purposes, I guess it doesn't matter but we have used it for everything from day one with no problems at all.

The connector we use is from Gillons Gadgets, (see MMM classifieds) or Google their name, the item costs around a tenner and accepts a standard hozelock type fitting, it's simple stuff really.

Each to their own as ever though..

Martyn

To purchase new gas bottles, really you hire them, can be expensive. Try your local council tip, they often have them and for the price of a good drink!! in their hand they will give them to you. Don't forget you need the red/orange ones. They can then be exchanged for a refilled one at normal places.

Enjoy your motorhoming, believe me whatever you take you will find that something has been left behind but other motorhomers are always keen to assist.

Nicegrover53 - 2008-12-05 1:42 PM

Thanks for all the sugestions. The one thing concerning me at the moment is the fresh water feed. Can I use any garden hosepipe or do I need a special hose? I have taken note about getting different connectors for taps but what about the end which connects to the motorhome. Does the connector come with the vehicle or will I have to buy it from the dealer or can I buy one in advance?

Thanks for your help.

Roger

Hi Roger

The end which goes into the motorhome doesn't normally have a

' connector , you just take off the fresh water tank cap and shove the pipe in.

Whether or not you use the water from the tank for drinking is up to you, there has often been discussion on this forum about the for and against arguments.

Some prefer either to get fresh drinking water straight from the site taps,into a small container, or use bottled water, but others have been drinking from the fresh water tank without any problems.

:-|

I have one more question. My dealer is supplying a couple of gas cylinders and is recommending I go for the lightweight ones (green colour). He says that although they currently cost a bit more to refill they will soon fall back into line with the normal (red) ones. I have seen plenty of red ones on sale but not green are they difficult to get hold of? Should I stick with the red ones?

Red lightweight bottles are good. (We have changed to thses)These are propane, beware that the green are for the right type of gas. You need propane if you are wintering in van (RED) Blue ones are usually for Butane gas. The light weight ones here are only about a £1 more.

I think you will find that the Green lightweight ones are from BP, and only replaceable at limited outlets. Far better to go for the Calor gas red lightweight ones, mind you there is only one size currently available, 6 kg. These can be exchanged at most CC sites, remember they only run out when you are away in the motorhome using it.

Is your dealer charging you for these cylinders?, if so before you comit try your local council tip and see if they have any, non light weight, ones in their cage. Normally for a good drink they will let you have them and then they can be exchanged for new full lightweight ones.

Hi again

What size bottles will your gas locker take?

Unless your dealer is giving you the bottles (which I seriously doubt), I'd stick to getting your own elsewhere, the cost of 'hiring' the Calor bottles will be the same wherever you get them, but the cost of the gas will more than likely be higher form a dealer than from a normal Calor outlet.

I'd go for the normal Calor propane cylinders for now and see how you get on, you can always change to the other lightweight cylinders if you find you need to.

Where abouts are you? I might be able to let you have a bottle if you're close by ... :->

Hi Mel B,

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Uxbridge, West London and I'm quessing your in Devon. I have infact ordered the bottles through the dealer now thinking that if they are already installed I will be shown how everything works at handover.

Is this rational? Or should I still think about acquiring my own bottles (there's still time to cancel them)?

Regards

Hi Nicegrover

Nope, we're in East Yorkshire, it's where they make Swift motorhomes ... I didn't know there was a Cottingham in Devon. Ooooo all that clotted cream ... probably a good job I don't live there! :D

If I were you I'd still try to source some myself rather than through the dealer - don't forget that as soon as you empty them you exchange them so the fact that you might have shiny new bottles at first doesn't mean it's always gonna be nice shiny bottles.

You could try having a look in the paper as people advertise there, you could also join your local 'Freecycle' site (part of Yahoo) and ask to see if anyone has any in your area up for grabs:

http://uk.freecycle.org/

There are lots of groups in London but I couldn't fine one actually in Uxbridge ... well not the London one anyway (there's one in Canada!).

Archived