Almafra Camping Nr. Albir - Benidorm

jenkothewanderer

Hi Trickydicky we usually stay on Villasol (http://www.camping-villasol.com)

it is a very nice site within walking distance of Levante Beach.

It is cheaper the longer you stay but on the longer stays your electric is charged by the unit and is metered. If you stay less than 15 days the electric is included but the cost per night is higher.

It is a very popular site and the best pitches are taken early by the long stayers, however you should get in ok we have never failed even in mid January. You can change pitches when a better one becomes available but you have to be quick.

The pitches that are usually vacant tend to be near the bottom of the site and some road noise can be expected till late evening, however these pitches are flat, and quite spacious. The site is well managed and English is spoken at the reception. All pitches have Satellite TV you just plug your tv cable into the outside socket and tune your tv, you will receive bbc,itv etc.

Hope this helps

I agree with the comments about Camping Villasol. We returned from there at the beginning of the month. We stayed 34 nights which with electricity and tax, came to nearly 20 euros a night. There was plenty of space there when we left but most of the spare pitches were close to the main road and could be noisy. Shorter stays will be more expensive.

I've stayed on 2 other sites in Benidorm- Camping Torretta which seemed like a gypsy camp and very scruffy with lots of barking dogs ( but some like it ) and the El Raco which has mostly shaded pitches but is normally full by now probably because its a bit cheaper than Villasol.

I have a couple of friends staying on Al Mafra and they have told me that there is some turmoil on the site apparently a lot of money is owed and a new buyer is being sought!

They did push prices up earlier but have now reduced them again, however the future is uncertain with a few of the owners of the more permanent 'Casas' (Residentials) moving them out.

By all accounts it is very expensive especially short stay, I believe a figure of 40 euro for 1 night(but this is to discourage those who just want to stopover to dump fill with water and do thier washing), electricity is charged by the unit and water too was going to be metered.

I have visited the site and it is very nice with a big complex with swimming pools/sauna/steamroom and bar and restaurant, also there are two very modern toilet blocks with all washing/drying amenities. There is a bustop directly out side the site with regular services to Benidorm, there is also a railway(Tube) service stop.

Regards Pat

Pat thanks for your comments, do you know if the site is always busy or would you say there is plenty of capacity particularly over the winter months. I have been on their web site and got the price list and it seems to compare to the other sites around Benidorm particularly if you stay 16 nights or more.

What do your friends say about the standard of the pitches/site and is the site generally quiet, any road noise etc.

Regards

Jenko

I think that there is space over the winter, I stayed there for a few days in a friends caravan having flown down (Half term) last year

The pitches are all good plenty of room and fully serviced, there is also wifi avaiable (charged for)

I found very little road noise although there is noise from the train which did tend to blow it's horn sometimes and the sound of the track which runs along one side of the site , but this would depend where you were pitched of course.

The site it self is quiet and the management do enforce site speed limits and obeyance of the one way system.

Regards Pat

hi again jenko,

thank you very much for the info.the site sounds very nice and just what we are looking for, walking distance to the town. could you just tell me when you connect to their tv system do you use a normal coax cable with the normal connections ie;push on for tv or the screw on connection normally used on a sky box.we are a bit puzzled.

Hi Tricky you just use a conventional tv co-axial cable with normal plug, it is just like plugging into a caravan club site bollard post with your extension cable. The site uses very large satellite dishes to pick up British TV and supplies each pitch with a connection for which there is no extra charge. Just tune your tv as you would on any British campsite, you do not require any sat receiver.

Jenko

jenko, you have been so helpful, thank you. do you know (or mike 88)how far camping el raco is from benidorm.is that also walking distance.it would be nice to have a choice of sites so if one is full we can hopefully get on the other. distance is important to us because we haven't got own transport yet,and can't take public transport.(hubby very ill if passenger)so we rely on our legs to get us about.

The El Raco is within walking distance of the Benidorm sea front probably about half a mile on a gradual slope. There are also a few shops, cafes and restaurants opposite. There is also a frequent bus service that will take you into the town or to Altea in the other direction directly outside the site.

Tricky, you might find this website helpful:

http://www.guia-de-benidorm.com/es/Alojamiento/campings.htm

It's in Spanish, but it lists the camping sites around Benidorm and where that camping site has their own website it lists it...just click on that camping sites web address in the list to go to it.

Some of the camping sites have their blurb in English (if you click on the Union flag once you are at their own website).

YAs you may already know if you're familiar with the area, you'll not be walking into Benidorm from the Almafra Camping site unless very fit and you enjoy a forced march......it's near Albir, which is probably about 3 or 4 miles North from the centre of Benidorm.

However, the "trenet" (literally "little train") narrow gauge local up-and-down-the-coast railway runs regularly from Albir station (5 mins walk from the camping site) south into the inland end of Benidorm.

More interestingly, it also runs North to several (IMHO) much, much nicer and quieter and more picturesque towns further up the coast, and the route it tales along the rocky coast gives fantastic views. Cost is very low....a couple of euros.

It also runs on down past Benidorm to the City of Alicante about 40 kms south...well worth a visit. (You change nowadays from the trenet onto the very modern and efficient tram system at a transfer station just north of Alicante to get into the city centre).

The number 10 bus also stops very close to the Albir camping site. This route is a circular one...into Benidorm, then out to Altea, which is about 5 kms north of Albir (the old town of Altea up on the hill top is always a must-see) and then back through Alfaz and Albir. Cost is maybe 1 euro.

thank you both so much. everyone is so helpful,i really appreciate the replies i am getting. being a novice to this motorhoming business (here and abroad) hopefully your advice will make all the difference when we travel.looks like it's a toss up between camping el raco or camping villasol for us, with a "tenet" ride thrown in.

Hi Tricky no problem, good preparation and advice before travelling is well worth the effort. You will find plenty to do in Benidorm, try the large Sunday market which is approx 800 yds down the road from Villasol.

Can also recommend the train as previously mentioned, the trip to Alicante for approx 6 euros is excellent value and runs right along the coast but pick a nice sunny day. Albir, Altea & Calpe are also nice trips and you could take your motorhome offsite for these if you did not want to use Public Transport.

There are also plenty of free coach trips advertised in Benidorm as long as you do not mind being subject to some low pressure sales techniques eg bedding factory, wine shops etc.

Try to get to Guadalest in the hills above Benidorm there are some wonderful views.

Have a safe journey , bet you cannot wait.

Jenko

:-D we stay on El Raco mostly as it very clean and quiet, and every-one is very friendly and it has the facilities of indoor and outdoor pool, and is a pleasant walk to centre or you can take No.10 bus (every 15mins) and do a round trip to the other villages for 2 euros. site rates very good for long stay and this includes your hook up to sky TV.

sooty10 - 2008-12-09 5:39 PM

Anyone know this winters rates on El Raco for stays of 30 days. We think it is the number 1 site in the Benidorm area.

Sooty

Maybe Google for their website details...if no long-stay rates mentioned there, then maybe phone them direct for an exact quote?

Archived