help!!! heater blowers

Guest henry

please can anyone help, we are off tomorrow to Yorkshire in our Hymer 534 and the wretched engine heater fan she has stopped, it is not a fuse, any suggestions please and thanks, she who must be obeyed does not like a duff heater!! Regards Henry

Guest Brian P
Just a slim chance Henry.You dont mention what motor.I've a Fiat ducatto and some of the connectors are the red & yellow cone shaped things that you twist the wire ends up together and screw them into the connector which has a cone shaped thread in.In my case the thinnest wire in the bunch of 4 wasn't gripping.It burned the wire lume out and almost the whole motor so I'de look for something like that.Best of luck.

Guest Brian P
Henry, these thingese on mine were under the seat on the rear heater behind driver,about 4 wires are screwed into one. There is also some on the truma boiler connections, worth checking for tightness or changing for better type connectors.

These tapered plastic or ceramic screw socket things were called "screwits" when I was an apprentice, and frequently found behind domestic mains wall lights. I am dissapointed that they are still in use on modern vehicles and equipment because its impossible to assure a good connection with them. But this you already know! I would advise that they be replaced with suitably rated screw terminal blocks. Strip each wire back enough so that the conductors pass under both pinch screws before tightening up. Ensure that the terminal blocks are secured in a safe position away from moving or potentially hot components. Good luck Clive

I`m sitting here wondering what the h**l an Engine Heater Fan is ? My brain is starting to think i`ve drunk to much and i`m reading the words back to front. Idea`s coming up of Engine cooling fan yes.This sits up front of engine and the fan is either in front of the engine cooling radiator or at the back(engine side).Fans hear are controlled by a thermostate in the radiator. Or could this be an interior fan heater consisting of a coolant radiator with a fan blowing air through it to the interior. Speed of the fan controlled by a switch and resistors for speed. Resistors on return side. Resisters are known to go on cars resulting in some speed selections being no more.(Idea here,yes/no), under dash. As too the cone shaped thread holder, turf it and get a proper connector.AAAAAhhh. This is the time for drink and merriment not brain frying. Ps Is it interior HEATER?. Gordon.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I contacted Sherlock Holmes via my trusty ouija-board and he told me it's the Fiat cab-heater on Henry's Hymer that's gone wonky. Unfortunately Sherlock was unable to detect the cause of the fault as he only knows about true-blue English motorhomes. He advised getting out the voltmeter and when all possible theories except one have been checked and discarded then that's where the problem lies - but he always did say that of course!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, Back after a few (10) days in not so sunny North Yorkshire. Firstly it was a duff (very) cab heater blower fan which had a loose wire and we finally got a very nice man to fix it for us at Desiras in Norwich, To say it was the 23rd and very short notice , for a price they fixed it! Regards and peace to all Henry

Archived