water guage

foxy

Hi Roy welcome to the wonderful world of British workmanship. My readings have never worked correctly either, it must be a problem with the sensors. found it not worthwhile bothering about.( as I have had various problems with other aspects of the vehicle) Use the principle when there is no water coming out of tap, the tank is empty and time to fill it up. foxy

Don't be too ready to blame British workmanship - most of this kit is actually assembled in Italy from parts made - guess where? - yes, China.

Guest Brian P
If you're refering to water tank, mine gave varying readings.I solved the problem by cutting an elongated hole in the garage wall, putting a perspex cover over it, I marked a line at a 1/4,1/2 & 3/4 up the tank.I can see at a glance now whatever the guage says. I also stuck a thermometer on the side of the tank, as I was a little worried about it freezing up during the winter.Far simpler than removing to replace the sensors.

Many tank gauges rely on a series of stainless steel screws up the side of the tank. If this is the case an annual physical clean on the outside and inside of the tank around these screws is necessary to ensure no eronious readings as the leakage current through the algae or gunge is enough to confuse the electronics. A plastic pipe as a sight glass however is beyond reproach! Clive

British workmanship unfortunately could still be to blame. We had a Swift 590RS 2001 model (just before the redesign). It had a faulty water gauge on the fresh water tank, it never read correctly. It was eventually traced by one of the dealership's technicians to the incorrect instllation of the water sensor in on the tank itself - they'd gunged it up so much to try to stick it in place that it wasn't sealing properly and was moving about all ove the place. He said it wasn't the first he'd seen. Once he'd removed it, cleaned it up and resealed it correctly it worked like a treat. If you don't want the hassle/expense of replacing the sensor or whatever is wrong, we used to use the 'dip-stick' trick in our first 'home built' motorhome. The tank was a proper freshwater one (it came out of a new caravan that had been rolled) which was fitted under one of the bench seats, but we didn't have the control panel and didn't really need one only having basic appliances installed so rather than go to the expense of a control panel etc we removed the gauge that was in the tank and put the submersible water pump in through the hole instead, I then drilled a hole about the 1 cm in size in the top of the tank, found a bung that would fit and in order to check the level of the water I just removed the bung, stuck in a clean piece of dowel (kept for the purpose) in to the bottom of the tank and took it back out again, hey presto the water mark was on the dowel so I knew how much was left in. Easy peasy, no messing about - if you really wanted you could easily mark the litre levels on the dowel ... but that would be getting too technical!

Guest Derek Uzzell
I remember Roy saying that his Lunar motorhome has the water tanks beneath the floor, so the dip-stick method may be a mite tricky. (My retired civil engineer neighbour dips his central-heating oil storage tank with a bamboo cane despite there being a perfectly readable and accurate 'sight tube' running up the tank's side. He tells me it's the way they do things in Yorkshire. Who am I to argue?)

• 2 weeks later...
A quick note on what MelE tells us:- The kits may be assembled in Italy and may be made in China but, if they are not suitable i.e. they do not work as designed, then just being installed by British workmen regardless does not remove the problem of sub-standard British workmanship. If it ain't right, don't FIT it! Regards Neal

Guest Brian P
Hi Clive I'm not sure whether the comment about a plastic pipe being beyond reproach was refering to my previouse letter about having cut an elongated slot out of the board covering my water tank. Its a time consuming job to to have to remove the sensors every time they corode up.Now having a window in the side of the panel from top to bottom means I can see at a glance exactly the level of the tank whatever the guage says!!!!!!!

Archived