ACSI Guide 2009

Don Madge

In 2006 we were new to this Motorhomeing lark and as green as the proverbial cabbage and have found this forum a fantastic aid and one of the best pieces of advice was to get the ACSI guide and what a great aid it is we updated in 2007 / 2008 and will in 2009 the sites we have used in France have in my opinion been great value for money unlike the cost of sites and facilities available in the UK  the cost of the guide is soon recouped on your 1st site visit ..

To add our two pennyworth we have used the ACSI discount card for 4 years now and never been charged any extras apart from wifi and in rare instances local tourist taxes. Inside the cover it does state that some listed services may not be included in the site rate ACSI is a Dutch organisation and vicarious books are acting as their UK handling agents they are right to report any problems to the Dutch and, as I understand the law, would not have any power to act themslves towards the sites. Friends of ours stayed at El Rocio in Spain the last 2 nights at a cost of 21€/nt if we had joined them it would have cost us 12 or 14€/nt - I don't have the book with me to check the correct figure. There have been many occasions when we have come across people paying double for the same pitch. At Ill de Re another couple calculated that they would be paying 140€ more for 2 x two week stays that they take each year. I rest my case.

The ACSI card is terrible.

The discounts on sites in Spain are simply disgraceful.

Only 10,12, or 14 euros a night, instead of the sites normal site rates of 20 or even 30 euros.

It's simply not on!

All this massive discount nonsense does is encourage more and more people from Cold Countries to come here and take advantage of our climate, the lifestyle, and the wine.

It's simply wrong.

So STOP buying the ACSI card.

All you Brits......help out with our national economy for all of us Johhny Foreigners and insist on paying full wack for all your foreign site stays instead.

You know it make sense.

:D :D

When retired on a fixed income every little helps

You know it makes sense.

Without the discounts many people would not visit these wonderful warm places and then would not be spending in the local shops and markets  tourisom is good for any economy.

You know it makes sense

The ASCI book states exactly what you get for the price. Electricity is included up to 6 amps. Many sites have 10 or 16 amps and technically they are allowed to charge the difference between 6 and whatever they provide. Many sites do not but some will, particularly in winter in the mountain areas (Swiss). Usually they will tell you when you book in.

This year, due to the hike in energy prices, some sites have introduced a surcharge. Again they will usually point this out.

Local taxes are always in addition to the ASCI charge as are rubbish taxes. You will pay these regardless of discount cards, camping cheques, CCI, any other promotion or full price as these are collected and paid, on your behalf, to the local council/commune.

;-)

kelly58 - 2008-12-06 3:14 PM

When retired on a fixed income every little helps

You know it makes sense.

Without the discounts many people would not visit these wonderful warm places and then would not be spending in the local shops and markets  tourisom is good for any economy.

You know it makes sense

Hi Kelly - Ummm.........yes that's the very point.My post was actually (meant to be) tongue-in-cheek m'dear. :'(

Can someone please tell me if you can use the card as identification, ( leave with office instead of passport) Would we still need the CCI, which we have used in the past.? Dont like leaving passport with office. Have always left CCI, when required to leave ID

PJay

PJay - 2008-12-06 11:05 PM

Can someone please tell me if you can use the card as identification, ( leave with office instead of passport) Would we still need the CCI, which we have used in the past.? Dont like leaving passport with office. Have always left CCI, when required to leave ID

PJay

In addition to containing your passport number, the CCI also covers you for third party insurance when on site, so it seems unlikely that the ACSI card would be accepted in it's place.

( But, so far , I haven't used ACSI card so maybe someone else can confirm ).

:-|

net-traveller - 2008-12-06 4:52 PM

Just come across the official rate explanation on the ACSI website -

http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/rates-explained/uc33-l2-n601/

;-)

A very useful link. It begs the question then, WHY DON'T the UK suppliers include this info on their website?

It would have avoided any problems. Have they done it deliberately?

It is certainly evidence that ACSI themselves are "up front" with the possible extra charges. Why can't the uk supplier be the same?

Mike Hol.

I don't think it's very reasonable to expect a supplier to duplicate all the info from the 'card' website, which would then have to be continually updated.

It doesn't seem to me to be a major problem but it might be a useful idea for suppliers to provide the website address saying " see website for details " to reduce the chance of any aggro.

:-|

This seems a rather heated debate for a discount scheme.  Its idea is simple enough, you buy an ACSI guide, the card is inside and, if you present the card when you book in, you should get your pitch for the advertised discount price.  If you use the card often enough, you effectively get the guide for free.  However, as with all such publications, there is the usual disclaimer regarding accuracy of entries.  With over 1,300 sites listed (2008), there is surely some scope for error?

The "hidden" extra costs are quite clearly listed in the guide, and can be seen on ACSI's website.  Tourist and waste taxes are only imposed by some site operators, presumably because they want to keep the "offer" price down.  However, a number of sites do absorb these costs, while others in the same area add them.  It is just the luck of the draw. 

We have found the guide generally accurate, and the listed facilities generally available.  Our only - minor - complaint is that because the guide is Dutch, the listed sites tend to be swamped by Dutch campers, and to feel rather like Holland (sorry, the Netherlands), regardless of whatever country you actually happen to be in at the time!  Having said that, I must say that if the Dutch stopped camping, the rest of us would be spending a lot more time looking for sites!  I think they must keep about half the campsites in Europe from going broke!

It is not always the case that the actual discount is that great, the normal off season rate at many sites is around the ACSI charge, though this is by no means a universal truth.  Again, it is the luck of the draw. 

Mike seems to be looking for a highly detailed, highly researched, European campsites guide, which guarantees fixed pitch costs to its readers.  If he finds one, will he please let us all know?  In the meantime, ACSI seems as good as any, though I'd still rate the Caravan Club, Caravan Europe Guides more comprehensive and a bit more accurate generally.  Still, they cost more, and you don't get a discount card - you pays your money!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I buy both cards.( It's only money, and you cant take it with you!)

Have yet to try ACSI card, as always used CC book, and use municipal sites. I know the Dutch use the ACSI cards, as we always come across a lot of them, in may/june whenwe usually travel. Going to Spain/Portugal this year, and they don't have the aires like in France.

I am completely mystyfied that many of you who have joined in this debate can't see the point that I have tried to make.

An argument doesn't gain more weight by being repeated, so I'll try not to.

Perhaps my professional expertise has clouded my thinking, but I am used to expecting written claims to be acurate and this includes purchases.

If charges are more than stated, then they aren't accurate, and should therefore have the defect rectified. In the modern world of business there are many examples of reputable companies who have procedures in place to achieve this end.

I fully AGREE that, in this instance, it isn't a big deal, but nevertheless, believed that I might be doing others a service highlighting the problem. Whilst I believe that some of my fellow contributors have realised this, it seems that most don't. Ok, not a problem, we all live and learn.

When I purchased my 2008 Card, I honestly expected that the site fees would only be 10,12 or 14 euro's because that is what the sellers website stated!

Like many of you, when touring in Europe, I mainly use Aires/Stellplatz. It was really only for Holland that we used this form of camping.

Mike Hol

Hi Mike -

I know you're getting abit of a hard time with this thread, but in our personal experience here in Spain when using the ACSI card through 2008, that's exactly what we've been charged, for motorhome pitch, 2 adults, and small dog: 10, 12, or14 euros.

If you read the section on charges in the ACSI guidebook (you did read it before you started using it I trust), then you shouldn't have been surprised at any campsite - certainly not any of the ones we've used it at, that there may be some additional charges for additional services at some of them.

These are specifically referred to in the guide.

In my experience this is no different at all from any other business making an offer to prospective consumers in big, bold advertisement; but then in the small print explaining that anything above and beyond the basic offer may incur additional charges.

It also happens with every holiday you'll ever take (have you rerad through the small print at the back of a package tour operators brochure?), to any insurance offer, etc etc.

For me, it does what it says on the tin.

If I also want to use the swiimning pool, or laundry services, or more electricity, and that site owner asks me there and then to pay some more to do so, then I can haggle with the people who run the actual site - or decline the offer of those extra services.

Maybe you've had different experiences of using this discount card against site fees. But I wouldn't lay that blame on the card company. Their Terms and Conditions seem pretty clear to me once you've read through them.

If a site didn't comply with their terms, blame the site.

Guest Tracker
If you are crossing from Dover or Folkestone you can call in the Vicarious Books shop in Folkestone and buy one. Details on the Vicarious books website. Just Google it!

Tracker - 2008-12-08 8:01 PM

If you are crossing from Dover or Folkestone you can call in the Vicarious Books shop in Folkestone and buy one. Details on the Vicarious books website. Just Google it!

I'd call the shop first just to make sure they are open when you'll be passing through, we've popped in and found them closed - away on a fact-finding jaunt! Shop number: 0131 208 3333

Although not as 'official' as a CCI - we have often found that sites will hold onto the card until you check out [unless you pay up front].

Have never needed to show CCI card when using the ACSI card.

Haven't ordered one yet - but then - haven't sorted out a van yet *-) so at this rate 2009 could be a dull year

Mike - I do get your point about charges being obvious - but it's not a perfect world - and in our experience any such extras have been nominal - tourist tax, rubbish tax or whatever imposed by local authorities rather than the site itself; and a lot of sites do not offer full facilities out of main season

not sure that the book in itself is worth the money - it only contains those sites entering into the discount scheme - the full guide is much more comprehensive

Haven't noticed a particularly higher than normal proliferation of nederlanders at acsi discount sites than anywhere else, but as someone else has observed - there are an awful lot of those bright yellowy-orange number plates about :D

ray

Archived