Motorhome AND caravan

embee

For a long time I have been agonizing over the route ( pardon the pun ) to take - motor home or caravan. Every one is aware of the pros and cons, both have merits and downsides. To me there is no clear winner.

However - I think it might be possible to combine the two !

Sell the present towing car, buy a compact motor home and tow the caravan.

Day to day trips - take the "bosses" Smart. Longer trips and short holiday breaks, use the motor home and long stays away, motor home towing the caravan.

(Be interesting to see if I get charged double on sites, although we would be sleeping in the caravan, errrrhhh, ......... I suppose it might be suggested I moved into the MH some nights though !!!)

I would greatly appreciate any comments, help and advice.

Mike

We are considering changing our coachbuilt motorhome for a pop top (Autosleeper Trooper) and small caravan (Lunar Arriva). I queried the question of double charging with both the CC and the CCC and have been advised (by e-mail) that the camper would be classed as the towing car and only one charge would apply. I don't know about commercial sites.

Guest Tracker

I had a friend who did just this several years ago and he and his wife had a lot of problems on club and commercial sites with double charging.

Apart from that it worked very well for them, but they were both not tall and quite slim which does help in a small van!

This was several years ago and things may have become more flexible - and cows may have learned to fly!

We used to tow a caravan with a camper and never had problems with charging on either club or commercial sites. One CC warden told me I must not use gas in the camper though.

As to practicality we found it great to have the camper to go off for the day.

Brian

Something we have done in the past Mike and really was the best of both worlds. Our tug was a twin wheel Transit ( self build ) and Avocet, both of which towed like a dream. Obvious benifits were the caravan on site with the Transit that had all the facilities for day tripping or overnight stays. Most van conversions would make ideal towing vehicles with regard to power and kerb weights, but you don,t really need a large caravan as you have all the space and accomodation you will need. Not sure what sort of attitude you would encounter these days. Often the mode of transport favoured by 'travellers' and could be a drawback that needs to be considered.

• 1 month later...

It is a wonderful way to travel we toured europe for a year with a murvi and a hymer caravan park up the caravan and tour the small cities with the small motorhome if you find somewhere you like park up pull out hte bed and stay

• 4 weeks later...

Hi emmbee

We did try this last year with a La Strada Avanti pulling a Bailey Indiana.

Can't say I got along with it that well to be honest. First trip was to France as usual and had the motorhome broken into at the first site - never heard a thing as we were asleep in the caravan but nothing of value left in the M/H because of that.

The combination towed extremely well and the Avanti was the best tow vehicle I have ever had - including its' predecessor a Kia Sorento! But it just seemed much more effort with long towing journeys then the setting up on site (no aires remember!) when all I really wanted to do was tootle about in the motorhome from one place to the next.

The distinct advantage of having a caravan anyway is the space available and having transport with you when you arrive.

We have replaced it now with a modest size IH Tio R which compromises on the space a little but is great for touring.

Good luck with the decision making.

Regards, David

david lloyd - 2009-02-03 11:09 AM

Hi emmbee

We did try this last year with a La Strada Avanti pulling a Bailey Indiana.

Can't say I got along with it that well to be honest. First trip was to France as usual and had the motorhome broken into at the first site - never heard a thing as we were asleep in the caravan but nothing of value left in the M/H because of that.

Regards, David

David I was sorry to hear that your m/home was broken into, and I am afraid I am going off thread here, but I would be interested to know whether there were any problems with the insurers? I visit France for reasonably long periods and often sleep in a house. I have just found out that my insurers last year, Caravan Guard, would not have covered me unless I was actually sleeping in the m/home. Needless to say I have found a new insurer for this year and just waiting to read their small print.

Hi Patricia

It's a very good point that I can't really answer. We didn't discover the van had been broken into immediately. It was the day we were leaving and moving on. I had prepared the caravan and was really concentrating on that so although I found it strange that the drivers' door would not unlock and was half on the catch so just opened using the door handle, I simply thought I had had a 'senior moment' the night before and not locked it properly. Even finding the cupboard doors unlatched didn't ring alarm bells for much the same reason and because just before arriving at the site the night before my wife had been looking in a couple of them for something - so, again, I initially thought we had left them unlatched. It seems strange now but other things indicated nothing was wrong- like the camera still being in the cupboard etc.

So it was when we stopped halfway to our next destination that I went to lock the drivers door and the key wouldn't turn in the lock. You could also see that door panel just beneath the lock was bent inwards where an implement had been used to lever the lock.

A thorough search showed nothing had been taken (as all valuables/documents had been in the caravan with us) and we had left the site so decided there was nothing to be gained by reporting it. The door could be locked from the inside so we carried on and had this repaired once we arrived back home at a cost of around £60 which would not have been covered by the excess.

You point out a very relevent issue though in the fact that we were not sleeping in the motorhome and therefore, if there were such a clause in the insurance, would not have been covered. It is something that emmbee and others considering this route should ensure they have checked before deciding.

Regards, David

hi embee

we did this for 3 years 1998 -2001. we were never double charged.

i imported a new LHD toyota hiace van from belgium & had it converted to a MH by devon conversions. we towed a carlight caravan.

went to france for 6 months when the pet passport scheme started. we found that we stayed on sites for weeks. chose the toyota because it just crept under 2m height barriers. got to the south of france & found the height barriers were 1.95m.

changed back to a coachbuilt MH and hardly ever use sites now. move on every couple of days even if it's only a couple of miles.

We've also had this thought,

I prefer a caravan as I like to go out & discover the area, often down very small lanes looking for somewhere to fish, also I like to go out at daybreak to fish.

Ideally a fifth wheel, but couldn’t afford to run a big vehicle through the week,

we came up with the idea of buying a bongo as a tow vehicle, this would give us the best of both worlds.

Maybe one day

Paul

Archived