How strong a tow rope?

gedger

Having just got stuck again over the weekend I thought it about time I started carrying some helpful kit!

Strangely, or perhaps luckily, I've always been able to find a tow vehicle but not always a rope, so I thought a rope would be the first thing to get. The question is how strong? My van is 3200kg so I'm thinking at least twice that as the initial pull when stuck must be huge, perhaps even more.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

This looks like it could be OK?

http://www.euroropesuk.co.uk/heavy-duty-tow-rope--4x4--off-road-recovery--105-ton-mbl-car-land-rover-boat-mooring-203-p.asp

Thanks

Richard

Hi,

No, you will need no where near 10 tons. Remember you are not lifting the whole weight, you are rolling it out of a dip. I would go for 4 ton polypropylene as light weight. Certainly no more, and could get away with a lot less like a 2 ton rope. You also do not want one that is too strong as if you have say a tractor driver who is a bit over enthusiastic he could damage your chassis pulling it too hard with a jerk - much better the rope stretches or even breaks.

Jon.

We got stuck a couple of years ago in France (Hornfleur) The Warden had a tatty old bit of rope, and go a Dutch caravaner witha 4x4 to tow us out (he finished up pulling 4 of us out. )We decided there and then to carry a tow rope ourselves. Went to a local chandlery and got some docking line, the kind the GIN Palaces use for mooring. You can usually get off cuts very reasonabley Better be prepared , then probably won't get stuck again!! (Well that's my theory.)

Hi We got stuck a few years ago when trying to do 3 point turn in narrow lane . Manouver involved putting front end up on grassy bank, reversing back down into track on opposite lock, then trying to persuade front wheel drive to pull us forward opposite lock to complete manouver.. HA HA stupid idiot, front wheel drive on wet grass full lock just wont grip. Tall bank at rear end wont improve rear of van when trying to go further back . Result .. French 4 wheel drive appeared somehow squeezed past us, performed the manouver we were trying, produced tatty bit of old rope breaking strain unknown, proceded to pull us ( drag us ) up the slope virtually sideways, front wheels sliding almost sideways and pointing us finally in required direction. Grateful thanks and a bottle of wine later we vowed to look before leaping in future.. Tatty old rope was man enough for the job or we would still be there.

tony

On a level pitch as long as the driving wheels have not dug themselves in the force needed to move is quite low. I have been pushed off apparently hard but very slippery ground by just two men who had little grip themselves.

A long thin rope is probably more use, if a hard pull is needed double or even treble it.

A hook or shackles at each end makes life easier but weigh more.

Stopand work out your next move as soon as wheel spin occurs, Getting out of the pit needs a strong pull.

The moment wheels spin occurs stop and work out your next move

On the other hand I use a 5 tone lifting strap with shackles on the ends. But its heavy but beyond reproach - and it came free!

It might not be you who wants to use it??

Some many years back I was towing my wife home with a Halfords rope behind our Dormobile. I decided to Go across the junction so accelerated a little to get us well away from the path of the oncomming lorry on the other crossing road. The rope broke and the Mrs has never forgiven me for leaving her stranded, powerless, in the middle of a junction with a juggernaught bearing down on her.

So I prefer it to be STRONG. (As I am still getting ear ache 35 years later)

C.

There are plenty of options to consider, but firstly you must decide if you are using purely in the event of getting stuck in mud/wet grass or for pulling the vehicle along after breakdown, or a mixture of both.

Soft towing can be done with rope, cable, or chain. Rope max length is 4.5 meteres, chain 1.5 meteres. Now we talk about strength.

On a flat tow you have to consider the resistence forces involved. Typical flat surface towing demonstrates rolling resistance which is the weight divided by 5 then add that figure onto the weight of the vehicle.

for example 3200 / 5 = 640 + 3200 = 3840

The weight you would be towing would be 3840kg

So on the flat in mud for purposes of towing out a 5/6 tonne strop/rope would be fine and safe.

Now if you are towing up hill you have gradient resistance which is basically one sixtieth the weight of the vehicle multiplied the the angle of the slope in degrees. But not to get too technical, a 45 degree hill would pretty much double the weight of the vehicle. So if you plan to use for towing when disabled, then double the strength again of the rope/ strop to 10t!

My honest opinion would be to go to an off road supplier such as milners, or scorpion, and purchase some kinetic rope with a 10t swl. This would not only cover your rear if you did need to pull up hill, but would be perfect for dragging you out of mud. JUST BE CAREFUL USING IT!

Kinetic is incredibly light and very strong indeed! It stores energy and doubles in strength the tighter it gets. To use properly slowly reverse back until the rope tightens up and wait! The energy releases and pulls the vehicle out itself! Good, strong and lightweight and space saving!

Failing that a strop will be available from the same place, but will need storage space. That and a couple of bow shackles will do the job. Also bear in mind with weights to do things gently, especially when towing as everytime you 'snatch' or 'jerk' the rope it exerts up to 5 times the weight of the towed vehicle on the rope.

I always understood that chains were NOT to be used for towing. Links can fracture under sudden load whereas a rope or cable has some give in it a chain hasn't. In the towing situation there's nearly always a shock loading as the slack is taken up.

Yes chains can safely be used for lifting where the laod is applied to the chain gradually but not for towing.

And in all cases when using a rope or cable, people should always be well away from the rope when the slack is taken up just in case the rope/cable does fail.

alan

alan k - 2008-12-12 8:43 PM

I always understood that chains were NOT to be used for towing. Links can fracture under sudden load whereas a rope or cable has some give in it a chain hasn't. In the towing situation there's nearly always a shock loading as the slack is taken up.

Yes chains can safely be used for lifting where the laod is applied to the chain gradually but not for towing.

And in all cases when using a rope or cable, people should always be well away from the rope when the slack is taken up just in case the rope/cable does fail.

alan

Chains can be used for pulling a vehicle from mud. Which is why i suggested kinetic rope/strops for use doing both

Archived