STAND BY FOR AN INFLUX OF ACTIVITY ON THIS FORUM

Clive

Guest Nick Miller
I enjoy reading and occasionally posting on both this and MHF.I find them complimentary and fullfilling of different needs in my motorhoming life. This simple site tends to be quite specifically to answer technical problems and you will not get better answers or stylish use of language if they are with in the posters remit. MHF tries to do a lot more,is a friendly (sometimes) chattier 'mess' but often if the posted problem is one that doesnt appeal to the core of posters it is quickly lost. I will pay my £5.00 and continue my MMM subscription. Does anyone really pay £37.00 a year for MMM? Nick the Bridge Builder

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest trigrem
I enjoy the MMM website forums and all the usefull info that can be gleaned, I also subscribe to the MHF website and find it different to the MMM as it covers a much broader field. I probably do not access 50% of it but what I do access I enjoy and think it is worth £10 per year just for the downloads section. I know I could probably get all the POI's for Camp Sites, French aires, and France Passion, elswhere on the internet for free, but basically I am a lazy sod and enjoy it being all in one place. Best of luck to MHF, I for one will renew my subscription when it becomes due.

After saying that I did not intend to pay and mentioning that I "KNEW" of other web sites I was castigated for ADVERTISING even though NO NAME was ever mentioned As I had never obtained information and all my 1700 post had been to aid others I put a block on any info from that source (marked MHF as SPAM)then removed MHF from my "Favourites" list Dont think this site needs to BUY mhf out It just needs to update this site & offer the same facilities at less cost I have seen other people go the same way start with a free or cheap service Then Open a sales outlet for members then start to put a charge on the members - Then close

I have purposely stayed out of the arguments and name calling on the MHF Forum. There is a trend on that forum by some (The Trolls?)to start tagging people as PC or Thought Police or even worse if they hold a different view on almost any subject. I will continue to subscribe and to it until I feel that it no longer of relevance to me. Information and assistance from MHF forum and MMM forum (Which can only be accessed by either subscription to or the purchase of the MMM magazine) has saved me far more in financial terms than both the subscriptions added together. There is a great deal of false information being presented about MHF Forum. It is highly unlikely that there are anywhere near 8500 active members as more than half those who registered have never ever posted to the forum. The poll about subscription showed some 130+ votes of which approximately half were in favour of subscription. Unfortunately the Poll was stopped. It has been said that if MHF becomes a subscription Forum then it changes status and the "Members" become jointly liable if there is any litigation. This depends on how the forum is set up and whether subscribers would accept being jointly liable. This could also apply to any forum, subscriber or not, depending on the terms of joining. If someone posts technical information on this or any other site that leads another person to have an incident then that person and/or the forum could under some circumstances be held partly responsible. (See tyre pressure thread and comments from this sites moderator). At least on the MHF forum if you resign you do have the facility to delete your entries but why would you want to? It only harms other motor caravanners. I would seriously doubt that anyone reading either forum could honestly claim that they have not benefitted in some way. I would seriously doubt that this site could cope with the same number of hits as MHF without having to incur additional cost. MHF has to the best of my knowledge 4 moderators (unpaid). My own feeling is that the move to subscription was a PR disaster and could have been handled better BUT I do not think that this is sufficient cause to make the type of attacks on Dave Burley seen over the last few days including someone trying to crash the site. It is often said that Motor Caravanners are a friendly community who regularly help each other and this has certainly been my finding. Surely the demise of one of the major forums for the sake of £10 (currently £5) can only harm this and should not be gloated about. Regards, Mike C.

Guest Don Madge
Pete C wrote After saying that I did not intend to pay and mentioning that I "KNEW" of other web sites I was castigated for ADVERTISING even though NO NAME was ever mentioned As I had never obtained information and all my 1700 post had been to aid others I put a block on any info from that source (marked MHF as SPAM)then removed MHF from my "Favourites" list "Dont think this site needs to BUY mhf out It just needs to update this site & offer the same facilities at less cost I have seen other people go the same way start with a free or cheap service Then Open a sales outlet for members then start to put a charge on the members - Then close" Pete, Don't get so up tight about it. Life is too short and at our age we don't need the hassle,the deed is done, so move on. As I'm only home (at present) for four months of the year and I have another six motorhome forums/sites and numerous travel sites to keep me occupied. Mike C, I agree with you, the handling of the affair was appalling but there was no need for all the back bitting and name calling. I was very sad to see some people jumping on the band wagon and just inflaming the situation. I will miss the Facts if no guests are allowed, I only used the forum because I found the rest of the site very difficult to navigate. Don

Guest Don Madge
Pete C wrote After saying that I did not intend to pay and mentioning that I "KNEW" of other web sites I was castigated for ADVERTISING even though NO NAME was ever mentioned As I had never obtained information and all my 1700 post had been to aid others I put a block on any info from that source (marked MHF as SPAM)then removed MHF from my "Favourites" list "Dont think this site needs to BUY mhf out It just needs to update this site & offer the same facilities at less cost I have seen other people go the same way start with a free or cheap service Then Open a sales outlet for members then start to put a charge on the members - Then close" Pete, Don't get so up tight about it. Life is too short and at our age we don't need the hassle,the deed is done, so move on. As I'm only home (at present) for four months of the year and I have another six motorhome forums/sites and numerous travel sites to keep me occupied. Mike C, I agree with you, the handling of the affair was appalling but there was no need for all the back bitting and name calling. I was very sad to see some people jumping on the band wagon and just inflaming the situation. I will miss the Facts if no guests are allowed, I only used the forum because I found the rest of the site very difficult to navigate. Don

Guest Tony Hunt
Is this guy up his own backside or what? 1700 posts supposedly only helping others and not a bit of information needed in return. If I were so clever I would write a book not mess around with Internet forums. Maybe he needs to lighten up a bit.

Guest Don Madge
Tony, He has asked for help like we all have on Facts, some give more than others, I have given plenty of travel advice but I've also had a great deal of info on a range of other subjects in return. I think he got a bit carried away when he was writing the post. Don

Please stop exaggerating the fee for the forum by calling it £10. It's only £9.99 which as any retailer will tell you is not nearly as much as £10

Hello Malc, Looks like an extra penny has been crept in by the MHF retailer. According to the MHF site the Subscription will be £10 after the £5 concession ends. Happy New Year, Regards, Mike C.

Guest Tony Hunt
Sorry Don he asked for it. Nobody could be that perfect. I havent been on these forums long enough to know any of you personally, hopefully I will in time. I noticed your posts initially were dead against the charging on the MHF website. You seem to have lightened up on the issue slightly yourself since xmas day and were also big enough in your last post to admit that you gain a lot of info from others yourself on the forums. It all certainly works both ways, I found that out a long time ago on the hobby forums I help run. We also had to face upto charging a small amount, £15 in our case for a full membership. It just wasnt possible for a few people to bear all the costs and work whilst everyody else sat back and enjoyed themselves. We still have a view only plus limited ability to post back for the people who refuse to help fund the site. A lot of them end up joining eventually because they cant bear to miss out. Seems to me by the posts on this forum that a lot of people are still for the MHF site. Far from the mainly negative attitude that seemed to prevail over xmas. I hope Dave gets it together he deserves to for all the work hes put into buildng the website.

Tony I have written a book - on Machine Code programming i have also been in a situationn that the instruments that I was working on had gone US and achemiccal plant was running out of control a mistake on my part would have had a greater ctastrphy than the one at Hemel Hempstead i have also faced a man holding a koaded gun I have been camping since 1950 Travelled on foot over a mountain in a total white out And other things that you would not believe If most of my posts are helping people - why should I have to pay Yes I have aksed afew questiond & noe received satisfactory answers

I would just like to point out that quite a few of us have been banned, some without warning from MHF. This doesn’t bother us at all. We are now being blamed for hacking the forum. There is no way any of us want to harm the forum at all. Nuke has banned some IP addresses. The only thing this will do is block lots of members trying to get onto the site. Why he is doing this I don’t know, he is aware we can still get on there anyway as we use proxy servers that change our IP address. If he wants it to be a pay site then so be it. Good luck to him he will need it. Again I will say we are NOT hacking his forum. All he has to do is stop blocking IP addresses. We have no intention of posting on there again.

Guest Don Madge
Hi Pete C, I've completed the rest of your CV :O)))It was a bit on the light side:O)) Happy new year to you and Pam. I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row. I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru. Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge. I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me. I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me. I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

Can I assume that all those now leaving MHF and joining MMM to avoid paying a subscription are now paying £3.10 per month to get the password to be able to use this site or are they cheapskating by going into WHS etc to read the password out of a copy of MMM they have not purchased? Kathy.

Hi Kathy, (Which Kathy? C.??) Some of us get the MMM regularly anyway so consider this Forum as a free perk in recent years, I certainly do as we have had MMM on and off over the years since John Hunt was the main man. Happy New Year.

Guest rowley
It is a shame that you will not be posting on the mhf website in the future Merlin. I can understand though, why you may have been "banned as your attacks on the Administrator were rather caustic and ongoing.

Just in case anyone is interested, I have never logged onto the MHF forum and certainly WILL NOT do so now that there is a charge (£5, £9.99, £10) Also, if MMM introduce an additional charge to access this website, I WILL NOT pay and so will not participate. If anyone thinks this is plain tightfistedness perhaps they are right, but I couldn't care less! Happy New Year Neal

Guest Mike B
Is this what they call a self fulfilling prophecy! I think they have arrived. This is the sort of back biting name calling that MHF is full of. I thought MHF had lost the motorhoming ethos months ago and descended into a rather bad tempered gossip column featuring quite a small number of posters. I returned to the MMM fold a while ago where I found, as somebody said much earlier in this thread, good well written advice on matters relating to motorhomes. MHF used to be a great site but I'm afraid it lost the plot a while ago. Maybe a subsription might do it some good, it might weed out some of the gossipers, but I doubt it.

Archived