Over wintering

AlanP

Personally I have not suffered from this as we use the motorhome all year. However, it is important (with any vehicle) being laid up for a while, that the wheels are rotated - I know that sounds daft, but even if you just move it a foot each week it'll stop it happening. I guess this isn't easy if the van is not close to hand.

Perhaps others can give you alternative suggestions

The short answer, is to drive it.  Preferably in excess of 10 miles, so that the tyres are thoroughly warmed up and all of the effects of standing relax.  However, driving the vehicle benefits more than just the tyres.

Brakes clutch, gearbox, final drive, engine, generator, power steering components, constant velocity joints, steering joints, wheel bearings, even the engine coolant, etc etc all benefit from being "exercised" periodically, the clutch friction surfaces and brake discs/drums get the rust haze polished off, and the fluids/lubricants/greases all get redistributed and stirred around.  About every month seems generally accepted good practise.

AlanP - 2008-12-11 9:52 AM

Brian

Many thanks for your suggestions. Great, but forgot to mention that I am leaving the 'van for some 2 months whilst away. Would jacking up and blocking be the answer?

Alan

Alan

I left my van on the drive for two months ( Feb / March ) this year and had no problems with the tyres when I got back.

It normally gets a run every 3 weeks or so all through the winter to keep everything' lubricated'

:-|

I agree.  The counsel of perfection would probably be to get the tyres off the ground, but a run before you leave, and another run of 20 plus miles soon after you get back, should remove the worst of any flatting.  Oddly, the problem is apparently worse in warm weather, than in cold.  The other components will also benefit from the exercise, though you may find brakes and clutch a bit "sharp" for the first few miles.

I agree about moving the van regularly over winter, but has anyone got any thoughts about a van that has stood for months waiting to be converted or as in my case I found out that my Swift had been built i.e. completed in late Sept 07 but I did not collect until early March 08. Do the converters move the completed van or are they just left in a field getting flat spots ??

A little concerned Mike :-S

Archived