compression fridges

Guest michael shaw

Guest michael shaw
My Thanks & Season's Greetings to Clive, Derek & Mels E & C. It seems that compressor fridge running noise is not a problem, even for insomniacs such as myself; that was my main concern. As Derek pointed out the main advantage for us "panel vanners" is that compression fridges avoid having to cut 2 external vents. However, that does beg the question as to WHERE & HOW does the heat extracted by a compressor fridge go ? Since becoming m/homers in 2003 we have been struck by how helpful & friendly so many other travellers are. Thanks.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Although large exterior top-and-bottom vents aren't required for a compressor fridge, there does need to be air-flow around the compressor itself and, in a motorhome with a fully built-in appliance, this might involve arranging for an aperture in the floor (or sidewall) at the bottom-rear of the fridge and an (internal) slot above its upper surface. A compressor fridge will produce some heat, but the amount will be relatively small compared to absorption equivalents. (Think about it - have you ever noticed gales of hot air emanating from the fridge in your domestic kitchen?) Being pragmatic, fridge heat output considered undesirable during a sweltering summer could equally be viewed as beneficial during a freezing winter.

Minor correction, Derek: it's not the compressor that needs cooling but the cooling coils and fins at the back of the fridge. In a kitchen, this is in the open so not a problem; if built-in, you'll find a vent in the kicking board at floor level in the cupboard unit and venting vis the back to the top of the unit. It's the same with Waeco or Vitrifrigo motorhome fridges. They come with build-in kits that have grills bottom and top to allow air circulation around the cooling coils. In very hot weather, this is unlikely to be adequate and Waeco offer a pair of electric fans that can be wired to the fridge electronics control panel to boost air circulation. I'm going to have to do this with ours, since it kept cutting out in 35degree plus heat in France during the summer. A couple of 12 volt computer cooling fans (Maplins) should do the same job. Incidentally, compressor fridges work by adiabatic cooling. A liquid is compressed by an electric motor/compressor. It travels through coils in the lining of the fridge, and as this pressure is released the expanding liquid absorbs heat (adiabatic cooling). It goes back to the compressor and as it is re-compressed, it gives up this heat in the external coils.

Archived