Morocco money?

AnnPaul

:-D :-D :-D

Hope to travel across to Morocco about 7th or 8th January. Where is the best price to buy some Moroccan money to start our travells off. We understand we can use our Nationwide credit and debit cards in Morocco.

Many thanks

Paul and Ann

B-) B-) B-)

I couldn't buy Dirhams (I think thats what they are called!) in the UK.

You can get them at the border, but make sure you have a bodyguard, lots of shifty types around.

Easy to change money in the larger towns and cities, hotels will change it as well but at a lower rate.

The unofficial money changers do a cracking rate but I felt more comfortable in a bank!

Geoff

You can't get Dirhams outside of Morocco, except in Ceuta at some exchange kiosks.

I don't know which way you are heading, but if you are crossing to Ceuta I'd suggest heading for Camping Alboustane at Martil - just along the Mediterranean coast. Martil is a reasonable sized resort town, with bank, shops, internet cafe etc. From memory the camping is well signposted, it's set back behind the apartment buildings close to the beach. Link to Google map: http://tinyurl.com/camping-alboustane - the marker is at the site entrance. The site accepts Euros, and Martil is a relatively civilised introduction to Morocco.

We've used our Nationwide debit card in ATMs throughout Morocco with no problem at all. Cards are not widely accepted for purchases.

Andy_C

............"I couldn't buy Dirhams (I think thats what they are called!) in the UK............"

But you can but them in Gib and probably at the place/agent who sells you the ferry ticket

.........."You can get them at the border, but make sure you have a bodyguard, lots of shifty types around. ............."

No, you have not been able to but Dhm at the border. Both the cash and insurance office has been closed for some months. There is an office just outside the border, but is also closed more tham it is open. You stand more chance of being mugger at the UK border than the Moroccan!

............"Easy to change money in the larger towns and cities, hotels will change it as well but at a lower rate........."

yes, cash machines and banks everywhere. Most hotels will only change for residence.

............"The unofficial money changers do a cracking rate but I felt more comfortable in a bank! .................."

There is no "black market" cash trading and I have never met a street trader in cash. Banks are comfortable........but take a packed lunch......they can be very slowwwwwww!

Ray

Mmmmm.....Don't get Dhm?..............Unless of course you want a cup of coffee in a roadside cafe, buying food in a market, need a taxi, use a carpark or need fuel in a petrol station the does not except CC's [most]......etc etc etc......Also paying with non-Dhm cash can only, in general, be in notes.......

Ray

Despite being a 'prohibited currency', you CAN get some Dirhams before you go. Try American express outlets, and they will be able to get upto about 1000 Dirhams, although their rate will not be as good as changing in Morocco itself. They will alsoneed a day or two notice. However,it will give you around £70 worth, enough to get you started for those small items, as mentioned above.

My wife has just come back from a walking holiday in Morocco, and although she took some travellers cheques (she didn't need to use them,in fact), a number of the group with whom she was travelling found they were very difficult to change - even the Banks didn't want to know. It seem traders would accept them (and anything else,really) if you are purchasing large value items (ie carpets etc!)

Generally £,$ or € were readily exchangable,and the going rate was around 12.5Dirhams ot the UK Pound.

Guest Tracker
detourer - 2008-12-12 9:23 PM

Mmmmm.....Don't get Dhm?..............Unless of course you want a cup of coffee in a roadside cafe, buying food in a market, need a taxi, use a carpark or need fuel in a petrol station the does not except CC's [most]......etc etc etc......Also paying with non-Dhm cash can only, in general, be in notes.......

Ray

I suggest that you take Ray's advice seriously as he really does know what he is talking about regarding Morocco!

Archived