Propane bottle problem (restraining ring)

andy mccord

Guest Tracker

Difficult to answer Andy without some more details.

What sort of van is it, and can you post a picture of the offending bits?

Most of us have gas bottles held in place by adjustable webbing straps which are usually easily (but not always!) loosened to get bottles in and out?

Andy,

If it's evident that it's impossible to alter the plastic ring that restrains your gas-bottle so that it can pass over the Gaslow adapter (and assuming that the adapter can't be fiddled with to permit the ring to fit), then the simplest solution is probably to dump the (horrible!) ring restraint system and opt instead for an around-the-bottle strap arrangement of the type Tracker mentions. Strap + bracket products of various types are usually shelf-items in caravan dealers' accessory shops.

Andy,

I had the same problem with the 6kg gas bottles on my Swift it was impossible to connect the hose from the regulator to the bottle with the restraining ring on the bottle obviously no one at swift had tried it out. the solution was to fit bottle cradles with straps that went round the bottles instead of over the top of them. Problem solved and can remove the empty bottle easily for changing. I got the kits one for each bottle from accessory shop.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, The only concern I have is that there are locating lugs on the floor of the compartment , which I think will hold the bottle away from the side of the van, how did you overcome the problem of of the straps not pulling the bottles into the side of the compartment?

TIA

Andy

Guest Tracker

A block of wood covered in carpet to stop rattles and then fixed to the side of the locker with double sided tape or velcro if you are posh ought to resolve it!

Or simply take the blocks off and either discard or relocate them.

The pound shops often sell braided nylon straps with buckles for - er - about £1.

HI Andy,

I should have mentioned the plastic blocks on mine were located in such a way that the bottle did not locate on them anyway, so the bottles would not sit on the base, there was no way that a gas bottle had been tested in my gas locker. I took them off as they are not needed with the body straps and cradle as this restrains the bottles far better than what was fitted by Swift. I have had no problems with this arrangement. This problem was mentioned in Oct MMM in my article on living with a Swift Suntor 580PR. Hope this helps

Regards Geoff

My German-specification Hobby came with a gas-bottle-restraining lug-and-strap system attached to its gas-locker floor. Unsurprisingly this arrangement didn't work with my refillable and Calor gas bottles, so I removed all the original bits and installed the cradle + strap set-up Geoff mentions. The cradle holds the bottle away from the locker wall and, (in the case of the cradles I used) the strap can slide through the cradle making it easier to position the straps' 'buckles' where they are most convenient.

(For anyone considering buying a cradle + strap, make sure that the cradle's shape matches the curve of the gas-bottle you will be using, or that the cradle's design allows it to bend to conform to that curve.)

I also cut a couple of pieces of thick rubber-composition industrial flooring-material to cover the locker's floor and, from the upper layer, removed two discs of the same diameter as the bases of my two gas-bottles. This avoids the locker's floor being damaged and helps to stabilise the bottles.

I've used a similar ploy (increasing the number of layers of flooring-material) in one of the high-level lockers in the motorhome's kitchen to store 4 polycarbonate wine-glasses (inverted) and 4 melamine coffee mugs. So far, none of the glasses/mugs have shown any inclination to go walkabout.

Archived