MH Breakdown cover

tonyfletcher

Guest Tracker

If you are a member of CCC the RAC Arrival scheme available only to members covers any length motor home for around - I think - £100 a year.

Might even be worth joining for this alone?

i have the rac arrival cover (through CCC) and it was £220 or so for full european cover / homestart etc on any size of motorhome/any car.

Been with them for 6 years now, and phoned last week at the renewal date to say it was too much and i wanted to cancel.............did it for £164 with legal cover in the end, bargain :-D

Guest Tracker
Yes, I forgot to add that full European breakdown cover is part of the deal with Safeguard Insurance who also offer a good price for the package as well.

Shield will only cover you for breakdown if you are insured with them. Just had a letter saying that when my breakdown cover ends in Feb. I can't renew it with them unless I am insured with them as well. My MH insurance is with Saga, breakdown cover is £81 if I add it or I can get it pro rata for it to be the same as the insurance. I believe if you want it as a standalone breakdown it is £86, it's a free phone number so you can call them, :-D

We used to be with Britannia and also International Rescue. We are currently with Safeguard for our insurance and took out breakdown with them as well as this was the best deal at the time.

Britannia did't used to restrict you on much so worth giving them a call, and International Rescue similarly, worth a call to find out.

The RAC costs seem high considering they are through the CCC!

If you can cope with the German documentation, ADAC are worth looking at. I've just taken out full European cover for €79.50

Not only do they cover all of Europe (not just the EC), they also cover all countries bordering the Mediterranean, handy for anyone going to Morocco.

They cover motorhomes up to 10m long, 3.2m high and up to 7.5 tonnes.

Info in English here: http://tinyurl.com/adac-english

Andy_C

anyone actually had to use their euro cover ?

I did 6 years ago, and it was very good indead. Payed for the parts (we payed labour) and put us up in a hotel for 2 nights. Very simple with no hassles involved.

Some coverage i have looked at (at the time, might have changed now?) only cover recovery to a garage.

I use Green Flag via the Caravan Club and they had no problem with my 6 berth Autotrail Scout. I understand Green Flag ignore the size limit if you join via the Caravan Club but check to make sure.

Just a word of caution. if you have to be recovered make sure the operator keeps an eye on your overhang at the back when pulling your vehicle up the ramp. The angle of the ramp when loading may mean that the over hang hits the floor before the rear wheels start climbing on to the recovery truck. The operator sent to me was aware of the problem and had thick planks on his truck to raise the rear wheels but it was still tight.

The same as you Ed with the letter from Shield and I too are with Saga and yes you are correct about the cost and the pro rata, so as my insurance is not due till way into next year my cover will be £50 from now but will be reduced further as I will not do it until Jan 5th just before I leave the UK and I also get a better cost of insurance than what the MMM team come up with in their annual report and another thing is they have a price promise so all in all you cant loose and they are so easy to get hold of and talk to, you can only speak as you find.

:-> :->

Britannia Rescue is fine we had a 3.85 tonne Autotrail Apache 700 which was 24.5 ft and insured with somebody else. Also used Equity Red Star and no problem over weight or length. Now with Caravan Guard and they cover your van if it is insured with them. On the policy you have to confirm the specific model so they will have weight, length and height from manufacturers leaflet. So if they insure you are also covered for breakdown in UK and Europe.

i got a quote from one of above companies (safegaurd) that include euro breakdown (aa) and it was £380, my insurance last year was £240 from a company without any cover (everything else the same, excess etc), so its £140 for the euro cover, which is better.

Getting a written quote through the post, and will see if the cover is compariable to the seperate cover offered by the RAC. I looked into this before, and the included euro covers were not as good as the standalone cover. This was some 6 years ago, and things may have changed, so will wait till the quote comes through

spospe - 2008-12-19 8:20 PM

Safeguard include AA breakdown cover with their motorhome insurance policy, it includes all Europe, but I do not know if there is a length limit.

A phone call would sort things out: 0800 977 5953

Michael

hE'S RIGHT YOU KNOW WE ARE WITH THEM AND THEY COVER OUR bESSIE AT 24 FT .

got the paperwork today........

the price included legals, very sneaky putting into the policy when it wasnt required, so for a fair level comparison i will remove the £25 they added, so the breakdown cover is £115 extra.

Its only for the van and no other car, it doesn't include accommodation when van getting fixed, or garage labour costs.

The £168 rac one is for any car/van (i have 3), does include accom and garage labour cost. When i did use it, we had 2 night in hotel plus all the labour costs in a merc garage to change over part of the rear suspension. This scenario could never have been fixed at the roadside.

Think i will stick with the stand alone cover

Archived