Multi purpose ladders

fred22

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a ladder to get up to the roof for cleaning and maintenance and am drawn to the multi purpose kind.

They appear to be light in weight and fold for easy storage as well as being able to be used for many jobs.

Any one got one? There seems to be a big selection on e-bay but I would like to hear from someone who has got one before buying.

Tried search but nothing comes up.

You see these adaptable light weight ladders frequently at shows, frequently being put through their paces by scantily clad attractive young ladies. However if you look carefully at the various methods used to keep these ladders locked in position you can find that they are not designed to accept "portly" users. I had the opportunity to inspect a couple of such ladders at our local recycling centre which had failed.

The moral here is that if it needs to be strong it also needs to be a tad heavier and the engineering a little better that thin pressed out plated sheet steel used for the locks.

C.

fred22 - 2008-12-19 10:05 PM

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a ladder to get up to the roof for cleaning and maintenance and am drawn to the multi purpose kind.

They appear to be light in weight and fold for easy storage as well as being able to be used for many jobs.

Any one got one? There seems to be a big selection on e-bay but I would like to hear from someone who has got one before buying.

Tried search but nothing comes up.

Hi Fred

I bought one of these ladders on Ebay after seeing them advertised in the books of 10,000 things you never need that get pushed through the door for about £100/110. The one I got was 4.7m, £58 and included free walk plates for the platform. Delivery was £15 extra. The ladder is superb-very easy to use, light, strong, safe and folds up to about 4' long by 10" wide. The company I bought it from(KMS Directshops) delivered in 24 hours and were as good as gold. Exactly as described and packed very securely. Would recommend them and it anytime. It's good for doing gutters, Staircases and Conifers as well if you have time in the Winter!

Mike

I take it you mean this type? this is what i use. High quality trade (en 131) ladders. Rated to 150kg per step, so safe for all the fatties as well ;-)

Used for 5 years now, always in the elements clamped on top of the work van, used and abused daily

5 year warranty, you get what you pay for.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/32484/Access-Storage/Combination-Ladder/Little-Giant-Ladder-5-Rung?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-LITTLE%20GIANT-_-32484

Thanks for speedy responses.

I think Mel has purchased the kind I am looking at, it can be folded and locked into about 14 different positions and is built to the 131 standard to which Handyman refers,with the 150kgs loading.

Cannot find this company on the net Mel do you have any further contact details?

I had not realised Screwfix sold ladders but I have looked on the site you have given Handyman and they don't show this model. I am suprised, as they seem very popular' so I will give them a ring later

why would you ring screwfix? They dont sell the other type.

I never found any other type of multi ladder with as good a locking mechanism on it, or as stable, and i looked at a lot of them. Theres a reason that the giants are the only multi ladder on trade sites............

Have a look here as well, got a few ladders here has well

http://www.ladders-online.com

Archived