armed forces memorial at staffordshire?

berti

I'm sure that there are many memorials in Staffordshire, as there are in every county, but he's asking about the new National Armed Forces Memorial and Aboretum.

The web site states that there is ample parking for cars and coaches but to be sure there's a phone number that you can ring during normal hours. It's 01283 792333.

I suspect that this is the only way that you'll find out for sure unless someone else comes along who's been there.

I can find nothing more definitive despite a couple of intensive web searches.

Hi The National Memorial Arboretum is very easy to find and is just off the main A38 road north of Lichfield. It has been open now for some time and the site is still maturing regarding trees and gardens etc.

It has a large carpark suitable for most vehicles and tourists and war veterans/organisations often arrive by coach so parking a motorhome is no problem.

When I visited there was no charge for parking but I understand a £2 daily charge was imminent certainly during summer months.

It is well worth a visit and can be quite emotional, you will need 2/4 hrs depending on your interest.

Visitors arrive from all over the country and abroad and can generate quite an atmosphere but there is ample room for everyone.

The link below is useful.

http://www.nationalmemorialarboretum.org/

Visited this June and motorhome will have no problems parking,plenty of space. The memorial is certainly breath taking and very emotional. I found my brothers name on it. The part that really got to me was seeing a chap still carving the names of people who are still losing their lives. Makes you think!!

We spent 4 hours there and then didn't cover all the area.

Parking meter is already in use but its free for those with a blue badge.

Make sure you use the restaurant, good value for money I reckon.

The NMA is an annual pilgrimage for us as we take the wife,s mother (93 this year) to visit a tree that was planted in the name of her husband who died a few years back. Distinct military background in the Royal Corps of Signals - later part of REME.

C.

• 1 month later...
happy to endorse everything said about the National Memorial Arboretum, wonderful place. However, I would point out that this is not solely for the Armed Forces, there are excellent memorials for the Police, Fire and other emergency services, and particularly poignant for my wife and I, a memorial garden for stillborn and neonatal babies. Well worth a visit!

Archived