No water

KJP

Having drained down the water tanks during cold spell, today, in preparation for Christmas camping, I filled the fresh water tank, however water is not flowing. The pump sounds normal, the taps are open but even the hot water tank is not filling up, and not a drop has come out of the cold water taps. Might there be an air lock somewhere, if so I would apprecaite suggestions on how to tackle this, or might the pump be damaged? Any help gratefully received.

Guest Tracker

Sounds like an air lock Ken - welcome to the madhouse by the way - and some vans are more prone to it than others although in theory the pumps ought to be self priming.

Sucking on the tap spout if you can reach it might draw water into the pump and prime it in which case you might get a face full.

Another way is to connect a hose to a tap and back fill it which again might kick start the priming.

There is a chance that it is either drawing air on the pump low pressure (tank) side and checking all the hoses for kinks and joints, clips, filter bowl for tightness (not too tight or it will shatter!) might help, or a bit of grit under one of the internal non return valves which is not as bad as it sounds as they are not hard to get apart and clean - as long as the pump is getatable that is.

Good luck and please ask again when you know more - if you don't cure it that is!

Try sucking on an open tap, it might help prime the pump.

If you have an old bike pump (the sort with leather washer) take the washer out and put it back the wrong way round, then it's a sucking pump.

If that doesn't work then you have to start at the pump and check things out.

Geoff

Thanks everyone for your help. Further investigation this morning suggests the filter bowl has broken, probably some water in it that frooze! Will go away anyway, not being defeated by a lack of water. Best wishes to all.

In a similar vein I drained my water system and the toilets seperate water supply tank. Then I decided to go for a day out and filled the toilet tank, but although the pump worked no water came out of the flush pipe.

My dealer suggested that, although the sysem was drained, a small amount of residual water might be frozen in a pipe bend.

4 days later after a period of 10*C I refilled the tank and all was well, so I cancelled my dealer appointment and thanked tha workshop manager for his good advise. I have since spoken with other owners where I store my van and they have had similar experiences with the toilet and the taps. Hope this helps other newcomers to motorhoming.

KJP - 2008-12-21 9:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. Further investigation this morning suggests the filter bowl has broken, probably some water in it that frooze! Will go away anyway, not being defeated by a lack of water. Best wishes to all.

When you have drained both the hot and cold systems it is worth while closing all but one of the taps and then blowing down the one hot tap left open (preferably the one furthest from the pump) until the air flows fairly freely. Close that tap and open the adjacent cold tap and do the same with that.

Archived