Peninsular War Trip 2009

Rayjsj

Hi all,

Thinking of going to Portugal and Spain this year, following in the footsteps of Wellington to Talevera, Cuid Rodrigo,Salamanca,Vitoria etc.,

Has any one else out there done it ? are there many sites in the 'middle' of Spain and on/near the Portugeuse border, how are the Spanish and Portugeuse on 'Rough camping' ? (the missus calls, and i obey, Over the hills and far away).

I have looked on the Brittany Ferries website and they have a route to Santander from Portsmouth(2009) but it will be £851 return (ouch !) do you experienced Spanish Based or regular visitors think that that is reasonable ? I intend to go for a month from mid May to mid June, whats the weather like then ? as the missus hates 'Scorching hot'.

any advice, hints etc., welcomed. Thanks

:D :D

Hi, I am a history nut and yes there are a few sites worth a look, but for me the best are in Portugal.

The battlefields of Victora and Talavera have seen excessive development.

Salamanca is very good and a excellent battlefield to visit.

Fuentes de orioro is worth a visit.

Burgos is good

Cuidad Rodrigo is just great and we stopped within the walled city for three nights, just a very nice place to be. and the site of black bobs death.

check out the light bobs defend on the coe, the bridge is still there.

Also check out Ian Knights book on the peninsula war, he does some guiding or did and he names some good spots to look over, the grave yards of the the guards division can be found etc.

also Torres Vedras, the towns a sad place but there are a few parts of the lines and small forts to be seen, also a small muesum within the town.

Busaco and Oporto with their museums.

There is not so much to be seen, like waterloo these days many of the sites have been developed on.

Take a few books and a good map and compass.

enjoy. michael

Hi, 2nd part, £851 is a lot of money. I would forget that and take in a few of the sites of france, Its an easy drive to spain. wild camping in spain and portugal is ok, just don,t camp out with all your odds and sods around.

Take care on the crossing points and the weather will be hot.

I go out of season around april may time, but we have two pug dogs who can,t take the heat,

It all depends on what time you have free.

michael

Make sure you do not leave Elvas (Portugal) off of your list. It has some of the most extensive intact fortifications of it's type left in Europe and was Wellington's HQ during the campaign to take nearby Badajoz in Spain.

We have visited twice and free camped on the ramparts enabling us to view them at leisure and really get a flavour of the place. Badajoz can be clearly seen from the high fortifications.

The town itself is also full of a much longer history, in particular a most impressive aquaduct. There is also a campsite that closes out of the main season (despite what the local Tourist Office may tell you!).

Nobby

Archived