France 2009

Loyal Lion

Hi all,

Bought ourselves a brand new Bessecar E785 in March this year. After 'learning' the vehicle over the year with various trips in this country we've decided to brave a trip over the water to France. The aim is to head for La Rochelle and stay on the Ile De Ri for a few days befor heading down to the Pyranees & Andorra.

Any tips and advise on how to book camp sites, general travel tips & places to see en-route would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all, lets discuss....

Assuming that you are going out of the main holiday season, I would not bother booking anywhere at all; just go.

The Caravan Club book 'Caravan Europe Vol 1' lists thousands of sites in France and any of the 'Aire' books will give you thousands more places to overnight at low, or even no cost.

If you are going during the peak season (mid July to end August), then the CC book mentioned will give you all the site contact details, so that you can check if there is space in advance of arrival. Beware that the popular Aires do tend to fill-up early in the peak months and it pays to arrive early so as to get a place.

I wouldn't recommend Ile de Re in July or August as the island isn't really motorhome friendly but off season the aire at Saint Martin de Re is good and the walled town and harbour is really worth a visit.  La Rochelle is definately worth a visit and the aire at the P & R Vieux Port is the place to stay; it is only 5 Euro a night including shuttle tickets in to the centre of town (beware it is not open on Sunday) 

We have been going to France for the last three years (and this year "poped "into Spain for a couple of weeks.) We never book camp sites just turn up. Also find aires very good in france, though you need to get to some of them early , as the french tend to get there first, so can sometimes be full. Would advise the Caravan club book of europe 1, this has lots of sites, the municipal ones are always good value, as long as you dont want all the extras like swim pools and maybe entertainment etc. we gofrom May to begining of July. The prices go up for the peak season July/Aug, also a lot more crowded Get the ALL THE AIRES FRANCE from Vicarious Books (www.vicarious books.co.uk) this is written in english. i would also buy some of the French aires books, which you can get in most of the large supermarkets there. They are in French , but quiet easy to understand. France is the best motor home friendly country you can find,. So go for it , you will certainly enjoy the freedom of the roads there . Sometimes we have driven for miles and not seen another vehicle!! M25 it most certainly is not.

One other thing , have a good shop around for ferry prices, obviously depends were you live, but Dover/ Dunkirk with Norfolk lines is the cheepest. We live in site of the Portsmouth ferry, so prefer to pay the extra cost from Portsmouth, as for us it is the least amout of driving both sides of the channel. Going to try the new route from Portsmouth to Santander this year, as we plan to tour Spain /Portugal Happy Camping

Thanks for the comments so far people. I honestly thought it was going to be alot more expensive than what it appears to be.

I've heard tell that its possible to park up in the centre of some of the remote towns/villages along with the lorry drivers. This sounded quite appealing so as to sample some of the real French hospitality/hostility?? :-o

We did a 5 week trip (short for us) to Ile de Ri beginning Sept. and it is a very nice island, there are quite a number of very nice wild camping spots with services but as already been mentioned be early and quick as the French know where and when to be there.

As you drive over the toll bridge (9 euros) there is an Aires on the right Rivedoux Plage gps N46/9/31 W1/16/18 just outside the camp site right on the coast line with a lip smacking bread shop right opposite and a tourist office within 50 metres so this makes a good starting point.

Just a reminder Sept/Oct was also very busy- but very enjoyable.

:$ :$ :$

We went to Andorra this year and I couln't translate the language on their road signs, but having said that most road signs are self explanetary, be carfeful of the road, they are really twisty. I have to say we where glad to get out the place, we where even stopped by Customs and they gave the van a good search. There a lot of duty free shops there, but don't forget they are not members of the EU. Enjot you trip through France as it really is a great place for Motorhoming.

Andorra is an absolute dump and I'll never go there again. There are lots of very suspicious looking people that hang around the car parks at Andorra la Velle while you are away shopping and with the pound so low against the euro I doubt whether there are bargains to be had.

The caming car infos site mentioned above is truly excellent.

Guest JudgeMental
doonhamer - 2008-12-20 10:47 PM

I wouldn't recommend Ile de Re in July or August as the island isn't really motorhome friendly but off season the aire at Saint Martin de Re is good and the walled town and harbour is really worth a visit.  La Rochelle is definately worth a visit and the aire at the P & R Vieux Port is the place to stay; it is only 5 Euro a night including shuttle tickets in to the centre of town (beware it is not open on Sunday) 

We haver no choice but to go high season and have been to the island twice in the last 5 years in July/August and had a great time. Busy? yes of course, but wonderful beaches and cycling routes. An enjoyable holiday area if booked on sites, I would think Aires would be to busy at this time......

Hi,

We travelled down that way in 2007 but in May/June and found plenty of aires and low cost campsites in France. Campsites in northern Spain were a lot dearer and we didn't find many aires in Spain but I think there are more now. Unfortunately the weather wasn't too good but we enjoyed the Pyrenees especially the French side.

We have written up our route and places we stayed at on our website

www.motorhomeandaway.com which may whet your appetite

We enjoy the planning but always end up in different places that's the joy of touring France

Steve

Have a look at www.motorhomefacts.com where there is a guide on the use of aires in France and a list of aires and campsites. I have entered on there quite a number in the areas you plan to visit. If you are going in summer, when most sites will be open, then the most comprehensive guide to French campsites is the "Le Guide Officiel Camping Caravaning" published by "Les Guides Motor Presse" in conjunction with the French Camping and Caravanning Federation. Its main drawback is that it doesn't always give opening/closing dates. You can get it on Amazon (you may have to link through to their French website) or pick it up in one of the larger supermarkets or a "Maison du Presse" when you are over there. The 2008 edition cost 12€ and has 10,430 campsites.

Archived