Cheaper SOG system?

Guest Derek Uzzell

Guest Derek Uzzell
I'm contemplating fitting a SOG toilet-cassette ventilation system to my Hobby's Thetford C200 WC. I've seen the relevant SOG kit advertised at around £87, but I'd be interested to know if anybody has come across a significantly cheaper recent price (and, if so, where). By the way, if you think £87 is a lot of dosh for an electric motor, filter, micro-switch and a length of hose (and I definitely shan't dispute that view), the asking price in the Narbonne Accessoires 2005 French leisure-accessories brochure is a wallet-ripping 200 euros.

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
The average price for a SOG appears to be c£87. www.outdoorbits.com are doing one for £86.99 plus 5% discount if you are a member of Motorhome Facts. That brings it down to c£83. If you search the archives on here there is a very comprehensive posting for a diy unit which works. SOGs are good for the environment and the longevity of the cassette toilet, no nasty chemicals and less hassle at the emptying point. It also means that you can empty it at any type of waste facility, cess pit, septic tanks etc. without destroying the bacteria that breaks down the waste

The postings that Will is refering to is the ones by Clive for his similar 'product' called Pongo. Have a search on that and go to the website address given for piccies.

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
Thanks Mel couldn't think of the name. It's logged in the favourites of my other computer but not the one I'm using at present.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Thanks for the replies. I'm familiar with Clive's Pongo project, but he's clearly got a big box of spare electrical parts to experiment with. Unfortunately I think I've got hardly anything that might be useful for a DIY SOG. I've considered adapting Thetford's own C200 exterior venting kit that costs about £25 and has a much cleverer connection of the cassette to the vent-tube. I'd still have to obtain a suitable in-line electric fan though and, because the Thetford vent-tube is much narrower diameter than the SOG's, I've got a gut-feeling a fan powerful enough to produce sufficient 'suck' from the cassette might sound like small jet engine when operating. (Not so funny in the wee small hours!) I might have persevered with this plan if there were adequate space in the cassette-locker to take a vent-tube through the floor and mount the fan-unit externally, but that's impossible with our Hobby. Like it or not, it appears that about £80 is the going rate for a SOG kit.

I came across a d-i-y system about 3 years' ago built from parts sourced from Maplins. I haven't checked out the in-line motor & fan, but the other parts inc micro switch are certainly there. Radio Spares (RS Componenets) will certainly have the bits if Maplins don't. I took the easy route and bought a SOG kit which fitted very easily. However, it is not a panacea. Whilst the fan keeps the smells inside the cassette when the Thetford loo trap door is opened, emptying the cassette can be a very smelly business, especially if it has to be done fairly frequently because of motorhome occupancy. Having graduated from holding tank loos in both my previous Italian motorhomes, which never had chemicals added, were completely sealed and only needed emptying once every 2 or 3 weeks, I find the cassette system antediluvian, to say the least!

MS Word's Thesaurus suggests 'prehistoric' and 'antiquated' as synonyms which seem entirely appropriate to me. I had, reluctantly, to specify a cassette system for our new conversion since there wasn't room under the van for a holding tank. But I do miss that marine loo: they're fitted as standard to virtually all home-sold Italian motorhomes and all Italian Camp sites have proper drop points for them - you just drive up, connect the 4inch emptying hose, pull a lever, flush the tank a couple of times and it's done. No smells, tank carrying every day or so, etc.

Guest Derek Uzzell
"Antediluvian" means "Before the Flood", so nautical-style toilets are just the sort of thing one could expect to find on Noah's. Not so sure about their general suitability to average-sized motorhomes though... Just to prove the old adage about one man's meat being another's poison, for the type of motorcaravanning we do I would never prefer a fixed toilet-tank system over the Thetford cassette variety.

Archived