ignition lights

Guest 12az12

ignition lights  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hi,can anyone please give me any advice.I own atalbot express 2500TD 1993.Problem,i have no power when turning the key in the the ignition,nothing except hazards/side lights.The thing thats throwing me is the engine still cranks over but will not start,not sure what to start testing or how.regards pete.

Guest Tracker

Welcome to the forum Peter.

Afraid I'm not an electric genius but one thing comes to mind - do you have an immobiliser for the engine - as this happened to me once and by-passing the immobiliser cured it?

try checking the 12v power supply to the stop valve solenoid on the injection pump. This is the bit of kit that stops the engine. a loose connection here means that no fuel is injected. If the solenoid has died it is just a screw in job to replace it.

a diagram at

http://mebonty.monobasin.net/figure_1_lg.png will show where to find it on the pump.

best of luck.

Second thoughts after reading the question properly.

I have acess to the wiring diagrams for the Express but not the Ducato. I suspect the Ducato used Italian electrics and the Express French.

Like Dave I now suspect the fault to be on the ignition switch. The headlamp circuits( probably individually fused left and right and possibly front and rear) are out so its not just one fuse blown. My money is on a broken conductor or contact in the ignition switch.

Depending on the fault and your own abilities a repair to the IS may be possible but there are lots of little spring loaded parts that tend to fly apart if surgery is attemted.

I doubt if Fiat still stock new switches but try Delphin Design(Tel: 01202 840749

Does the Ignition (alternator) warning light come on when the key switch is turned to the first ON position? If not then its either a duff fuse, a connection fallen off the key switch or a duff key switch. Or a bad in-line connection.

If the alternator light does come on then its downstream of the key switch or the key switch itself.

10 minutes with a multimeter should trace the problem if you have a George/Dave/Clive mentality. But a tad longer if you are normal.

Happy Christmas

C.

hi,and a merry chrimbo to all.No not getting any lights at all,checked the fuses in the glove box and all ok,i had a look in the engine bay for the big fellows 60amp that ive had on other motors but cant see any(bloke search though).Does any body know if their is any other fuses any place.Thanks for all your help so far,pete

If the starter turns then power must be getting to the ignition switch. If the dash lights are not functioning then power is not necessarily getting from the ignition switch to those circuits. Remove the steering column surround and check with your multimeter if power is showing on any of the cables at the ignition switch when turned on. Follow the wiring from the ignition switch checking each joint you come to with your meter till you find the faulty connection.

D.

We had a slightly older J5 -similar to the Express- and one section of the ignition switch failed so the first turn produced some life in the electrics but the second didnt illuminate the preheat lamp and turn the stop solenoid on. Turning all the way the motor cranked but to no effect.

The solution I employed was to bypass the failed switch section with a relay but it needed some thought as my first attempt the only way to stop the engine was to put your foot on the brake pedal (sounds odd but it was due to the relay holding on at less than 12V)

It does seem that the switch was designed to carry quite heavy current.

BTW the Express / J5 / C25/ Ducatto were all made by the Fiat /PSA Citroen JV Sievel in Italy.

hi all,i think i have sorted it,i bypassed the ignition switch found the live feed then made a connection to the other wires.Low and behold every thing worked,so i now know i have a duff ignition switch.Problem is now getting hold of a new or used one,parts for these old tanks are getting hard to find.Thanks for all your help,great forum,regards pete.

Archived