digital tv on status aerial ?

Guest barrie

has anyone any experience of receiving digital tv reception on a status non directional aerial please. also to clive, as you seem the fountain of all things electrical,do you know if generally the operating voltage of sat receivers is 12v, stepped down from 240? any advice would be appreciated. thanks. barrie

Hi Barrie, I think I can help witn one part of your question only. As a tight sod we don,t have satellite TV or cable, nor have I ever dabbled with it so do not know if the systems work from a derived 12v or not. But I got a freeview box for christmas and am quite sure that as the freeview signals are sent in the same RF band as normal Analogue signals. Providing the signal strength is adequate your Status antenna should work as well as any other omni-directional antenna of the same size. Do not forget however that a grainy signal on an analogue reception will be zero signal on freeview. With digital terestrial televesion providing the signals are good enough for the data to be properly de-coded then the picture will be 100%. Much less than this and its zero reception. Good luck

Normally tv signals are grouped together so there is no interference with nearby transmitters - so in one area they are at the low end, some in the middle and some high. As the analogue signals were there first. the digital signals have been spread throughout the frequency range: the usual problem is that the aerial is not tuned to cover the entire tramsmission spectrum, and as Clive correctly says with digital it is either there or it is not! Many problems occur because the aerial is not full band width and does not have sufficient elements to hoover up all the digits up for you. The Status is wide band, but may not be clever enough to give enough gain to resolve the signals, especially as they are not yet radiated at full power to prevent interference with analogue! Solution: If your 'freeview' box fails to resolve some services, then log on or pop into your local Maplins electrical store and get a high gain broadband aerial (they'll advise) for about 14 quid and you'll have no bother. Remember too that depending on where you are and your specific box, you may have to re-scan the channels every move too!

thanks guys, like you clive i'm a tight sod so don't want to spend to no avail,i was thinking of buying an add on for my lap top but don't want to take a chance of it not working or pay for another aerial to cart around. incidentally clive i too made a few visits to BTB meets both in oxford road & the university,we must be neighbours!

Barie, If we are talking about the same BTB you may have travelled down the Reading Road towards Basingstoke to visit me with a black box in a carrier bag in hand. Another favourite haunt in those days was the "December 20". How many will know what that was? C.

Guest barrie
hi clive, nothing to clandestine ! i am in reading & as a lot of people got a bit involved with communications at the time.also went to school with my good friend stan(warlord)how times change!

Well fancy that. Janet and I spent a few evenings at Stan,s home 20 as it was refered to in the early days when Stand was the main man!!. Send me an email to g4odm@barc.uklinux.net I will then email my direct one back to you so we can chat in private. Happy New year Clive

Guest julie blackburn
hi, not sure about all the technical details regarding freeview boxes but we spent a few hours messing trying to pick up a picture when we were in berwick upon tweed last year, even went out and bought another ariel (we now have 4) how sad is that. still no picture, saw the site warden asked her about it and she replied you won't be able to use it here we can't pick up the signal.lesson learnt.but we still argue about the blasted thing every time we use it. will it, won't it julie

Archived