I can't afford a newer one

And mine has all I need

It takes me where I want to go

Pursuing the life I lead

With such ‘freedom’ I’m in heaven

So its impossible to measure

The real ‘worth’ of my motorhome

As its a truly priceless treasure!

The Volkswagon Compass calypso which I call my baby coachbuilt has everything I desire, several people swooned when I told them how much I paid for it, they said I could have bought a brand new Merc.

But what good is a car? you are limited in what you can do with it, with my Calypso I can go anywhere I want anytime I want, not for me the hustle and bustle of being squashed into a plane for a two week annual holiday with all the stress involved.

What I really like is looking out onto my drive and saying come on lets go out for the day or week-end or whatever, no messing about we climb into the van and off we go. We have started to get interested in walking as well and I just did not know that England was so fantastic. Without are van we would not of seen some of the fantastic sites out there.

A lot of people who have motorhomes/campervans seem to think the be all, end all of vanning is to go over to spain for the sun and hot weather etc, I for one would not give you tuppence for the sunnier climes.

This country has everything I want, the English countryside, places of interest, historical sites.

With the aid of my van I can now see places of interest that I have only read about in books and magazines or what I had been taught about at school, the ideal weather for me is what I call shirt sleeve weather that is to say, warm enough to walk about in a T shirt and shorts and just meander here and there taking piccies with my camera.

Sitting outside your van when on site, a nice drink in the hand and just chit-chatting to like minded people from all over the country.

The only time I can enjoy a good nights sleep is when I am in my van after a hard days walking, particularly when it is raining and I am tucked up nice and warm listening the the rain pitter patting down on the roof of the van and of course knowing that I dont have to get up for work the following morning. There is a lot to be said for the simple things in life.

knight of the road - 2008-12-25 9:24 AM

A lot of people who have motorhomes/campervans seem to think the be all, end all of vanning is to go over to spain for the sun and hot weather etc, I for one would not give you tuppence for the sunnier climes.

The people who go to one place for the sun are the mobile version of the people who fly out to foreign climes and lay around a pool for a fortnight.

If that is what some people are wanting to do fine, it leaves more space on the roads and sites for those who want to explore, the ones who have adventure in their blood.

How can people say they have visited a Country when they don't step outside the complex or site and eaten only English food? I know I can say that I have visited that Country, meaning that I have seen the culture, eaten the foods, got a feel for the lifestyle, tried speaking the language, talked to locals, seen the views etc. I guess that is what makes a difference between a holiday maker and a tourer.

For me my motorhome is priceless, it offers me the freedom to do what I want, whether on holiday, weekend away or just a day out. It is my passport to adventure, to being ME not 'one of the crowd', to getting in touch with nature and to appreciating life - As I said - priceless!

Rapido-lass - 2008-12-31 11:46 AM

knight of the road - 2008-12-25 9:24 AM

The people who go to one place for the sun are the mobile version of the people who fly out to foreign climes and lay around a pool for a fortnight.

If that is what some people are wanting to do fine, it leaves more space on the roads and sites for those who want to explore, the ones who have adventure in their blood.

How can people say they have visited a Country when they don't step outside the complex or site and eaten only English food? I know I can say that I have visited that Country, meaning that I have seen the culture, eaten the foods, got a feel for the lifestyle, tried speaking the language, talked to locals, seen the views etc. I guess that is what makes a difference between a holiday maker and a tourer.

For me my motorhome is priceless, it offers me the freedom to do what I want, whether on holiday, weekend away or just a day out. It is my passport to adventure, to being ME not 'one of the crowd', to getting in touch with nature and to appreciating life - As I said - priceless!

I think it is a case of you pay your money and make your choice, spending money just to sit around a pool is not my idea of a holiday just sitting round the pool everyday rubbing sticky sun tan lotion all over me.

I want to be out and about exploring, these people then come home with their blotchy red skins and bore the pants off their captive listeners by telling them of the wonderful time they have had round a pool.

Archived