truma c 6002 eh gas problems

cej

HI, I have a truma combi bolier which has developed a problem... firstly todays temp 0 Degrees !!! The heat and water operates ok on electric, but on gas you can hear the pilot light/ flame ignighting but immediately it goes out! after 30 seconds the red light comes on on the control panel. there is gas to the pilot light as light heat is felt at the hot air outlets, thats after continuous attempts to inite. ie left on for 1 hr. The gas is via a gaslow system and there is plenty of gas, this is bp autogas, does anyone know the butane/ propane mix of autogas?? I wonder if this may be the problem??? as i have never run the heater at this temp before, and has only been run on the autogas from new...any ideas please?? cheers and seasons greetings, colin.

Colin,

All UK autogas is essentially 100% propane, so the low temperature should not be a factor.

I think the first thing to check is whether there is a basic gas-flow problem - perhaps a fault with the regulator. As Mel B advises, light all the hob-burners, set them to maximum output and leave them on for a few minutes. Light the gas oven (if you've got one) and let that run simultaneously with the hob-burners. If the burners and/or oven won't stay alight or are reluctant to provide continuous maximum output, then there is something amiss with the gas supply between your Gaslow bottles and the motorhome's gas appliances.

If that's the case, then are you absolutely sure that there is plenty of gas in the bottles and that they are fully turned on? (This does need asking, as I remember a forum question about a gas heater not working properly finally being resolved when the bottle that had "plenty in it" was found to be virtually empty.) If the bottles have gas in them and the gas-valves are properly open, then one has to suspect the regulator and, if that's playing up, then it will need replacing. There's the possibility of you having picked up some polluted autogas, I guess, but the chances of that are small.

If running the hob-burners/oven produces no symptoms of gas starvation, then check that the individual gas-tap for the Truma heater is switched fully on and try lighting the heater again.

Truma's C-6002EH Operating Instructions trouble-shooting section (I've got a C-6002EH heater in my Hobby) lists one gas-operation fault as "About 30 seconds after the heater has been switched on, the red monitor lamp lights up and remains steady" and gives possible causes as "Gas cylinder or quick-closure valve in the gas line is closed", or "Air feed interrupted". Suggested rectification involves checking the gas feed and confirming that the heater's intake/exhaust cowl isn't obstructed.

I don't know how familiar you are with this heater, but the start-up process comprises a shortish period of 'flushing' to clear any potentially explosive gas fumes from with the heater, then a solenoid valve is opened electrically to allow gas to enter the central burner area, then electric igniters above the burner are fired for a second or two. At that point, if the gas is not recognised as having been lit, then the system performs a safety shut-down and the red monitor lamp comes on. The reason for the gas not being lit properly could involve a partial blockage at the solenoid valve, or the valve not opening, or the igniters not firing correctly (as happened on my precious C-3402 heater), or the gas not being recognised as being alight - or something else!

I'm afraid that, if your investigations suggest that adequate gas is reaching the heater and you can't notice anything unusual about the heater's start-up sequence, then you are going to need someone with the necessary expertise to take a look at the problem.

Archived