Satellite TV Systems - Camos?

lesandy247

Hi there.

Thinking of upgrading from our omnidirectional aerial (rubbish reception unless on the top of a hill) to a satellite TV system. This is partly down to the poor reception we get at the moment, and the expectation that this will get worse when we go fully digital (pixellated picture rather than grainy picture). Also, where we tend to camp, in the mountains, the reception is notoriously bad. We could upgrade to a better aerial system, but would prefer to pay a bit more for satellite, given that the picture quality should be better in remote areas. Our budget wouldn't run to a fully automatic or dome system.

We are thinking of the Camos crank up system, due to its small size (less wind resistance when on the move), and reports that it is better size for size than an ordinary dish, and ease to tune in. We're not bothered about reception in Europe, so don't need a big dish. Anyone had experience of a Camos satellite system, is it as good as it sounds for UK use? (?)

Many thanks

Yes I have one on my Highwayman. Absolutely brilliant! Simple to operate and as long as you are not blocked by trees immediately to your south side it will work just about anywhere in UK, France, Northern Spain, Western Germany, Holland etc. In my opinion its better engineered than the Maxview and because of its smaller size can usually be mounted with the control mechanism inside the wardrobe. I might be a bit biased because I sell them too but I rate it so highly I'm fitting one on the camper conversion I'm working on. Excellent compromise between usability/convenience/cost.

D.

Yep, Camos, brilliant (and unlike DaveNewell, I don't sell them!).

Like he says, no problem in UK or on near mainland Europe as long as you have 'line of sight' to the southern Astra satellite(s). Tend to lose some channels as you get down towards southeast Germany. Recommend Roadpro, very helpful folk! (but I'm sure Dave is as well!!!)

Mike Fleming

Guest JudgeMental
davenewell@home - 2008-12-31 7:24 AM

Eddie, as Lesandy specifically asked about the Camos crankup system your comment about domes is pretty much irrelevant.

D.

I am sufdering with the lurgy at the moment, so think I posted on the wrong thread...Sure there was one asking about sat on the move? O well.

On our way to Italy last summer while stoping over on a site in the Alsac region. a chap near us was having trouble getting reception with a crank up. I had a go and was amazed to get reception within a few minutes, begineers luck? I am not sure, but it made me think it was pointless spending more on an automatic system. It was a maxiview model but the principal is the same.....

Guest JudgeMental
lesandy247 - 2008-12-31 12:23 PM

Surely reception in europe wouldn't be affected by it being crank up rather than dome? I thought dome systems were just easier to tune in (at an extra cost of course!)

Correct, but dish size starts to matter when in Europe......

Archived