help! for a 6 footer

blobb140

blobb140 - 2008-12-30 10:20 AM

Can anyone recommend a recommend a motorhome for someone 6ft 6"tall.

We are looking to buy our first motorhome and require a 4 berth model preferably. Any help appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Might be a good idea for you to visit the motorhome show at the NEC in February, or some other show where you can 'try out' loads of models to see which ones fit you the best.

Good luck with the search !

blobb140 - 2008-12-30 10:29 AM

thanks Malc we intend to go to the nec but there are so many choices I was hoping to narrow down what to view based on members advice on here.

You just have to hope that there is another 6 ft 6 in member on the forum then.

( Otherwise all the short members will join in and totally confuse you !)

;-)

Blobb

What is your budget for starters, do you have any size requirements (other than YOUR height! (lol) ), such as maximum length/width/height of van, what type of layout and equipment do you require - eg do you want a fixed (rear) bed or are you happy to make up the beds each night.

If you can give a bit more info we can probably be a bit more constructive with our responses.

Mel B - 2008-12-30 4:02 PM

Blobb

What is your budget for starters, do you have any size requirements (other than YOUR height! (lol) ), such as maximum length/width/height of van, what type of layout and equipment do you require - eg do you want a fixed (rear) bed or are you happy to make up the beds each night.

If you can give a bit more info we can probably be a bit more constructive with our responses.

Mel B :

With respect, I think you are jumping the gun a bit.

Basically he is looking for a van to suit a person who is 6ft 6in tall,

i.e., one he can stand up straight in.

As far as beds go I think he is looking for one on which a 6ft 6in person can lie down comfortably.

If anyone can come up with a few vans that fit those basic requirements, he can then start thinking about the vans equipment etc.

;-) ;-)

malc d - 2008-12-30 7:18 PM

Mel B - 2008-12-30 4:02 PM

Blobb

Mel B :

With respect, I think you are jumping the gun a bit.

Basically he is looking for a van to suit a person who is 6ft 6in tall,

i.e., one he can stand up straight in.

As far as beds go I think he is looking for one on which a 6ft 6in person can lie down comfortably.

If anyone can come up with a few vans that fit those basic requirements, he can then start thinking about the vans equipment etc.

;-) ;-)

malc d

I understood what he was looking for quite correctly, having friends who are 6'8" and 6'4" I know how important it is for people of this height to be able to stand up and use the facilities in a mothorhome properly, however, there are quite a lot of motorhomes out there in which you make up the beds from the lounge seating that will be big enough, some with fixed beds likewise, rather than reel off a long list I was trying to narrow it down by meeting some of the other requriements which weren't clear, ie his drive restrictions, budget etc. No point in giving a lot for him to wade through if they don't meet these requirements is there? The more info we are given then the better quality of info we can give back ... that's all.

Being 6'3" I have banged my bonce on quite a few roofs, light fittings, over cab beds and aircon units to have knocked some sense back into me (but it hasn't worked).

The 'vans that have caused the most problems have ranged between the small 'van conversions and a big Winnie with roof air so it isnt easy to pick out any one range. We have a Frankia A class which has more than adequate head room but I am afraid even a fairly elderly second hand one may be outside your 20k price ticket.

I can only agree with those above who suggested a trip to a big show where you will have to do a fair bit of leg work nipping in and out of 'vans to see if you are ok down the full length of the vehicle.

Having said all of that we once met a couple with a "Bambi" - he was about 6'6" and stood outside to do the washing up - I have no idea how he slept in it but I saw him doing a plug change (the engine is between the 2 front seats) and his feet were hanging out of the back door.

The only problem with looking at vans at the NEC is the fact that they are all 'latest versions' and likely to be well above £20k.

The outdoor shows, such as Peterborough in April, might be a better bet.

You may have to end up visiting a number of dealers, armed with a tape measure.

:-|

go out and drive a few first! Some early models of the common brands have an inherant problem with the higher seating - when it is raining, and the wipers are going, your eye line is at the top of the wiper sweep. You get used to it, but end up peering below - i am only average height! With this in mind, make sure you check this situation out, or look at a-class. Just check, as it is all to easy to look at a van without considering small things like that which could hamper your enjoyment.

Guest Tracker
Rainbow-Chasers' - 2009-01-03 5:38 PM

go out and drive a few first! Some early models of the common brands have an inherant problem with the higher seating - when it is raining, and the wipers are going, your eye line is at the top of the wiper sweep. You get used to it, but end up peering below - i am only average height! With this in mind, make sure you check this situation out, or look at a-class. Just check, as it is all to easy to look at a van without considering small things like that which could hamper your enjoyment.

Can often be cured by removing seat base swivel and/or height adjustment mechanism to lower the drivers seat - as long as you don't want either or both of those heavy old lumps of old iron that is!

Archived