Aldi Satelite system

tp002c784tp002c784tp

Hi all

I know the above has been discussed before, But I intend to buy one of the Aldi suitcase system when they next come on sale as I have read some good reports about them in previous threads, But I was wondering if anyone can help.

My Motorhome television is a digital with freeview and DVD player but I do not think it has Analogue on, will I still be able to receive Satelite television ??

Terry

derek500 - 2008-12-31 8:30 PM

Yes. You connect with a SCART lead (supplied in suitcase).

That's correct assuming the TV has a Scart socket. Ours doesn't but we were able to buy a Scart to AV conversion lead which works fine.

Think we bought our lead at Maplin but then saw them cheaper at Asda so worth looking round if you need one.

Graham

Before you go and buy one of these, can I suggest you consider: Lots of people have bought these from Aldi/Lidl/Maplins, (including me), but it is comparitively rare to see them in use on site!

In my opinion this is because, certainly in this area it is quite difficult to set up and lock on to the correct Astra satelite- too many continental sites close by that make setting up too tedious to be worthwhile!

little jack

"In my opinion this is because, certainly in this area it is quite difficult to set up and lock on to the correct Astra satelite- too many continental sites close by that make setting up too tedious to be worthwhile!"

Sorry Little Jack but this is a load of tosh! The proximity of other sites? I have no idea what you're on about but it will have no bearing on the ease of setting up a suitcase dish. As long as you have a clear view to the south east you should be able to find the satellite as long as you are within the footprint for that size of dish. I have managed to find the satellite while holding the dish inside a tent and get a stable picture, this was in order to demonstrate to a customer that the system he'd bought the previous day did in fact work perfectly well!

D.

oh dear me ansums. how many of us park up facing the south east to get a clear view. how many of us know know how to park up facing south east. and if us is in yorkshire my biddies do any of us care where the south east is anyway. lots of questions to answer before fred parts with is money for a suitcase my luvvers!

finderfred

Hi Terry,

As I don't have a digital tv I can't be sure but don't all tv's have analogue or AV inputs? If it has a scart socket it should be ok.

We used the suitcase satellite kit all over Europe this year and ok it needs a bit more setting up than using an aerial and you will need to try it a few times to work out the menus for setting it up.

It was certainly good value and the receiver worked well.

We found it useful to listen to BBC Radio4 while in Eastern Europe and sometimes managed to set it up "blind" using just the audio out sockets and mini speakers and the inbuilt bleeper. It remembers the last channel it was tuned in to.

We met several motorhomers in Germany with similar setups.

Steve

If you buy yourself a cheap sat finder , one with an audible tuning signal then you will find it incredibly easy to set up on site.

Something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Satellite-Finder-Satfinder-Sat-Meter-FOR-SKY-and-OTHERS_W0QQitemZ280298741327QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4693QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The above link is just the 1st one I found to give an example an not checked if a good seller or price.

Lidl also sell sat finders sometimes, and they really make setting up simple and gettng the dish spot on and after using one you wil wonder how you managed before.

I have the lidl sat system and find it marvelous in the van. If you take a sawn off broken broom handle with you it makes an ideal post to stick in the ground to mount the dish on if necessary rather than using the clamps or sucker mount on the van.

Loyal Lion - 2009-01-04 12:02 PM

Am I right in thinking that one of these would get me some TV reception in the hilly areas like the lake district or peak district?

Yes, you're picking up the signal from a satellite in the sky, not a mast on the ground.

Brambles - 2009-01-02 3:45 PM

If you buy yourself a cheap sat finder , one with an audible tuning signal then you will find it incredibly easy to set up on site.

If you buy the Lidl suitcase, you don't need one. The Silvercrest box has a perfectly good audio/visual sat finder built in.

Press 'info' for visual and '1' for the tone.

derek500 - 2009-01-04 11:48 AM

Brambles - 2009-01-02 3:45 PM

If you buy the Lidl suitcase, you don't need one. The Silvercrest box has a perfectly good audio/visual sat finder built in.

Press 'info' for visual and '1' for the tone.

I have found it is not as good, you have to be fairly close to the direction to begin with and really only is for fine adjusting, the seperate ones start working when you are way off direction ...all you need to know is approx south direction ir indeed not even that actually. Anyway the built in tuner is in the van and you are outside.

Brambles - 2009-01-04 1:32 PM

I have found it is not as good, you have to be fairly close to the direction to begin with and really only is for fine adjusting, the seperate ones start working when you are way off direction ...all you need to know is approx south direction ir indeed not even that actually. Anyway the built in tuner is in the van and you are outside.

I have never had any problems, if you use the compass on the back of the dish, you can get quite close to the direction required. Turn the volume up on the TV and you can hear the tone outside.

Thanks davenwell@home - dont hold back with your opinions!

My point, for what its worth, is that, in certain parts of the south east, most people find it either very difficult, if not virtually impossible to lock this unit on to tha astra satellite, with or without a sat. finder, because of the strength of sianl from other satellites. You, as an expert obviosly wont have a problem. Many others do, and find these units do not meet expectations.

I'm sorry if my bluntness upset you Jack. When you say "south east" do you mean south east of Britain or South east of Spain? If its Britain then the proximity of other "sites" or "satellites" has no bearing on the systems performance. If you mean the south east of Spain then again the proximity of other "sites" or "satellites" has no bearing on the systems performance. It won't pick up anything of use from the Astra 2 group of satellites down there simply because the dish is too small. I'm sorry to say that the difficulties you have experienced are more to do with your own lack of experience than the systems lack of performance.

D.

As Dave Newell said size matters. I have a 1.2m dish for Spain and that gets good signals. The Aldi dish is tiny in comparison. You could always get the Aldi system and add a larger dish for foreign use. A sat finder on its own is around £15, so Aldi is good value.

In my very humble opinion, experience is everything in this game.

A few examples. 1st ever set up with no sat finder just the Aldi supplied one resulted in a perfect pic in 5 mins. Expert aren't I methinks..

Yes, sure you are, as 2nd & 3rd attempts are just as easy.

Ha. 4th go at one place resulted in 100% hair removal. You just couldn't get a signal and then the same again at another location.

But of course lack of experience tells you that you're doing something wrong..but of course you're not, there are just some locations where the small dish doesn't cut the mustard.

A trip to France last October was a good learning curve too. The weather, good grief it was blowing and raining on day1 when I tried to set up the dish, it was nigh on impossible until the weather eased and bingo, picture in seconds.

Hope this helps any Aldi newbies.

Martyn

Archived