help please - engine oil

ROON

Joy

Please let us know the outcome; I in particular am intrigued by your description of two apparently similar oil filler caps.

As I have said before I have never seen under the bonnet of your type of vehicle, but in over 45 years motoring, I have never seen an engine with two separate oil filler caps!

It is just possible, that a manufacturer could install an additional filler if the bodywork alterations of their conversion made access to the original filler difficult, or impossible, but I have never seen this.

I have had a Google, to try to get a photo of the engine, but the Fiat / Peugeot website is useless for this purpose.

Do let us know ............ Michael

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in case anyone wants to check under their own motorhome's bonnet to see if its engine also has two oil filler-caps, it looks like Joy's 2006 Autocirrus 200 is based on the 'old model' Boxer with Peugeot's 2.2hdi 100bhp motor and 5-speed gearbox. The "Autocirrus" name has been used repeatedly over the years within the Elddis range, but the 200 model-number doesn't seem to have transferred to the latest Boxer chassis (or at least my efforts using GOOGLE suggest this is so).

There's information and photos of a 2006 Autocirrus 200 on:

http://www.explorer-group.co.uk/2006/Elddis/motorhomes/Autocirrus.html

Eureka!!

But firstly thank you Maggy ... Steve was lovely .... but before he rang I went home and looked through all my documents and all the engine photos ... no sign of the additional oil cap ... however, when I checked my phone messages, Brownhills had left me two messages. Apparently Peugeot added an extra oil filler because of ease of access as the other one is difficult to pour oil into. The 'extra' filler leads into the original filler. He said to be careful when filling it as it glurgs back in a bubble so stand back.

Hope this is of interest to someone and thank you all again.

Joy x

ROON - 2009-01-03 12:08 PM

Eureka!!

But firstly thank you Maggy ... Steve was lovely .... but before he rang I went home and looked through all my documents and all the engine photos ... no sign of the additional oil cap ... however, when I checked my phone messages, Brownhills had left me two messages. Apparently Peugeot added an extra oil filler because of ease of access as the other one is difficult to pour oil into. The 'extra' filler leads into the original filler. He said to be careful when filling it as it glurgs back in a bubble so stand back.

Hope this is of interest to someone and thank you all again.

Joy x

Glad it's all sorted Joy -

.. and I, and perhaps many others, have now learned something from you !

;-)

Glad to of been of help and yes he is a lovely person, just like his dad. We have used them for the last 12 years or so now, although his dad & mum spend half the year in portugal now. Both have always been willing and able to go that extra bit to help with all our motoring problems not only mechanical but bent bodywork as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but today I had the opportunity to photograph the engine bay of a Boxer with the two fillers.

The red arrows point to the two oil filler points, the yellow arrow is indicating the brake fluid reservoir and the green arrow points to the power steering reservoir.

D.

boxerengine.jpg.7e3d44d62a0d5d50a89a3a40537bef2c.jpg

Colin9591 - 2009-01-15 12:39 AM

BUT, to help out the blondes, one of these fillers should be marked "710".

Regards

C

On her original post, Joy says BOTH caps had an oil symbol.

Her dilemma was; which one to use (it IS quite unusual to have two).

;-)

Correct Derek, we should all have used the search facility before pontificating on this one.

It is surprising that some of the earlier posters did not remember the case of the two filler caps and comment on it; perhaps by now they have left the forum?

Archived